Renault Magnum any good?

Hi all im currently a fitter but im thinking of becoming an owner driver next year. Im a big fan of the volvo fh as i know them inside out but they are a bit expensive. Ive worked on all makes of truck but never a magnum and I was wondering if they are any good both reliability and to drive. I know they use volvo running gear just like the premium but which volvo engine? Cheers, matthew

I’ve been running a Renault Magnum for two years now and I can’t fault it. The only problems I’ve had are problems generic to any truck of the same age and mileage (clutch, alternator, rubber hoses etc) but generally I’d say that for an owner-driver they are a fantastic workhorse and cheap to buy. Mine is a 500dxi and has the 12,870cc engine.

I’m retiring soon so you can buy my one if you want. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you’re looking at Renault because you understand the mechanics of them, wouldn’t a Premium be a better start for an OD.

muckles:
If you’re looking at Renault because you understand the mechanics of them, wouldn’t a Premium be a better start for an OD.

There is logic in that, and I did think about buying a Premium myself but at the end of the day a Magnum is a better truck to live in than a Premium for an OD, especially if they are away all week.

Either way, I couldn’t fault the service I get from my own Renault dealership compared to the experiences of folk who run older Scanias and Volvos on this forum.

Because I believe the engine in a magnum is the volvo d13 which I know is a great engine which again I know inside out whereas the premium is an 11. Basically Im thinking a magnum is the closest thing to an fh and cheaper. Thats the theory anyway :confused:

smith85:
Because I believe the engine in a magnum is the volvo d13 which I know is a great engine which again I know inside out whereas the premium is an 11. Basically Im thinking a magnum is the closest thing to an fh and cheaper. Thats the theory anyway :confused:

Fair point, well made. :smiley:

better cab as well :wink: ive got a 55 reg only thing she has had is new rad new and header tank, and some normal wear and tear bush’s and the like, my only pain in the arse bit i have is the abs sensor on the o/s mid lift keeps moving :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: , every so often have to tap it back in a little, new bracket new sensor and it still does it :unamused:

To drive and live in I love it and though I have had some issues! still think they are value for money.
Mine is 500dxi volvo engin & auto box but think the software is french.
Issues - random faults that seem to come and go, think it just gets moody.
Done - air dryer, aircon compressor, foot brake valve, discs front & lift oh and the heater don’t work, common fault the valvr is around 500!!!

I am second user with 750000 ks. Mpg for me is 7.5 - 8. mine has the table and chairs down stairs, bedroom upstairs, like this layout a lot.

Don’t think I could change to another truck now for fear of falling out when opening door :slight_smile:

Good choice planty of good ones out there a daf wouldn’t be bad choice too but a bit more expensive

irish lorries:
Good choice planty of good ones out there a daf wouldn’t be bad choice too but a bit more expensive

Xf is nice to drive with lots of space but they are crap reliability wise. Little things like you cant just buy hub oil seals, you have to buy a full hub, disc and pads. So a small cheap job turns into a very expensive one

smith85:
Xf is nice to drive with lots of space but they are crap reliability wise. Little things like you cant just buy hub oil seals, you have to buy a full hub, disc and pads. So a small cheap job turns into a very expensive one

+1

smith85:

irish lorries:

daf claim the hubs are sealed units but there not, last place i worked at ran all dafs and a couple of fodens and they managed too source bearings and hub seals with no problems, even when changing discs as long as you took your time you could extract all the retaining screws without breaking them (we did 3 in a day).

Issues - random faults that seem to come and go

lol i know what you mean :laughing: