Renault gear selection

How is this supposed to be done. Did an assessment in one too collars on the right hand stalk. inside collar has drive and neutral outside collar has reverse and “c” on it.

Only way i could get it to work was rotate inner collar towards windscreen puts it in drive when needing reverse rotate outer collar towards windscreen reverse is selected. To get back into drive rotate inner collar towards you to put it in neutral rotate outer collar towards you to deselect reverse turn inner collar back towards windscreen.

surly this cannot be right

Blimey it makes the awful 16 speed manual installation in the G290 seem positively great.
You lost me at ‘stalks’.Id be looking blankly asking what stalks where I thought that’s the indicators and what’s this weird digi tacho thing.

Sorry I’ve not come across anything like this, but any assessment I’ve done the assessor was very happy to explain the controls of the truck. Was that not the case you found here?

this is the thing he went over the basic controls with me. ie there are your gears drive and reverse. This is why i say it was my own fault i failed The first part of the assessment was drop the trailer drive to the end of the yard and turn round and come back and hook up to the trailer. I struggled getting out of reverse then. I should of asked but as he had spent so much time showing me the tricks of completely different kit i was already feeling bloody stupid.

thing is it clearly states on the dash what gear you are in. I have no excuse I should of double checked the display

i did find a post on here about getting neutral in a merc axor but in the comments was mentioned about a Renault with the issues i was having.

I have driven one, but not recently, so I didn’t comment earlier.

Not very intuitive.
Like all things, after a few thousand kms it is second nature, but if it’s your first time with it and in strange circumstances etc etc…

Sounds about right
About 6 years got in a Renault for 1st time
Coildnt work out how to get reverse.
Was no other drivers around I was on agency so didn’t know anyone there.
So asked office some guy came out mumbling under his breath.
Even he couldn’t work it out.
He rang another driver was told go into forward 1st then back tob get reverse…
Stupid idea if you ask me

coops, I was forgetting I am familiar as I have driven one.

If you are in drive then you have pushed the inner collar forward. Then you can toggle between drive and reverse with the outer collar. As I remember there can be issues with the thing going into manual, just to confuse things.

You shouldn’t need to deselect reverse. Probably best practice in an assessment would be to kind of start again each time you want to go into drive, by going into neutral with the inner collar and then pushing it back up. A couple of seconds only.

Edit: and having watched Franglais’ video completely now, I see that in fact all you have to do is pull the stalk towards you to engage drive again. I don’t believe I figured that one out either. And the C is apparently crawler mode, which explains why it flips into manual.

Who could have guessed that C stood for crawler without being told? At least Dafs tortoise :turtle: is self explanatory and universal.
Did I understand that right you have to select Drive before you select Reverse?

That’s right have go into forward then select reverse was when I last drove a Renault about 6 years ago. Anyway and doubt it’s changed ever since

minds gone blank i cant think how to get crawler in the mercs i drove. but you are right the daf is obvious. Personally i think the daf is the most intuitive to drive as far as what things are but i haven’t driven the latest series. I seem to remember being told that the merc i learnt in had 3 or 6 reverse gears plus crawler who needs that.however i think its the best gearbox it actually changes when you want it to and is capable of putting the torque down on the road and making progress. scannia is just overly complicated for the sake of it and 90% of the time just spins the wheels.

I have watched the video 4 times now and still cant get all that it is saying. I hadn’t even played with the cruise control or anything but watching another video i found it sounds bloody dangerous as it may or may not deactivate by pressing the brake depending on what mode it has decided to use.

I agree the Daf gear selector is idiot proof, but not intuitive. I’d much rather have a Merc or Scania stalk that you twist forward to go forwards and backwards to reverse rather than hunt for some dial placed randomly on the dashboard and then have to look at it to see if forwards is left or right?
Yup I had to watch the video twice, and I’ve no intention of driving a Renault!
When I was driving a Scania 6 wheel unit, it was pretty good at getting the power down. Just a case of lifting the midlift immediately when you’re empty, no chance of forgetting because it spins (and it lowers automatically when loaded).

Bloody hell, sounds like a Jaguar Ipace.

that’s just it try putting the bugger on a bay with wet cardboard on the ground fully loaded so it wont lift the axle. or even pulling away from a roundabout

'An investigation, supported by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA), is underway and a 31-year-old man from Bolton has been arrested on suspicion of dangerous driving and causing a public nuisance.

‘He has been taken into police custody to be questioned.’

Sounds more like a merchant banker with an excuse. :grinning:

@franglais was that some rhyming slang you slipped in there?

Moi?
You might well say that…I couldn’t possibly comment.

Makes more sense, but can imagine if he actually was telling the truth, to go through that and then be arrested!
However unbelievable it was.

i dunno how these throttles work nowadays but you can imagine it being some sort of resistive sensor that changes its resistance to how hard the pedal is pressed. If so what happens if it goes short circuit or open circuit the voltage could easy drop off or spike sending incorrect info into the ecu.

I doubt there is very little redundancy built in or triplicate systems with proper design

Exactly…but at the very least you would expect the brakes to be able to overcome full throttle.