Renault did not let me down

the old premium is CRAP!!!

04 reg premium which is a DAF LF (their 7.5 and 17 ton cab) with a bunk glued on and put on a 6 x 2 chassis.
that was bad enough but i jumped in to see a big square gearlever with symbols on it. automatic :frowning:
obviously i familiarised myself with the solo unit and got on with the job but i do have one question (i asked before i left this morning but everyone else has the same opinion as me, avoid renault like the plague which means no one knows how to drive the ■■■■ things). the button on the right side of the lever. what is it? the one at the front is for engaging reverse and crawler (never used crawler yet :unamused: ) so what does the other one do?

IIRC,it’s for skipping a gear,whilst in manual mode.

Hold it in,and move gear lever forward,and it will skip a gear. (Watch the display on the dash.)

And when you select auto,once you’ve fired her up,just push ever so gently down on the lever,and move to the left.Some people I know,used to bang it down,and then force it to the left.This isn’t necessary.

To select manual while moving,move lever to left,and when wanting auto,do the same. Again,the dash will tell you which mode it’s in.(It’s spring loaded is the lever,much like the Volvo,Daf etc.etc.)

I used to have a 53 plate 420 Premium,and actually quite liked it,for a fleet motor.

Ken.

sorry mate but renault committed the ultimate sin. no cup holders. where am i supposed to put my coffee? :imp:

after having the actros on saturday and the 52 reg TGA (i dont like the updated ones), the premium doesnt stand a chance. i would even go so far as to say i would rather have a scania or stralis :open_mouth:

How can you say they are crap?

My 98 Premium worked hard for me for four years and never failed to get me home. I got home from Austria with no turbo. I would love to see anyone try that with a scania.

i dont like them either Bob :laughing:

my preferences would be actros, TGA or FM/FH and i dont mean top spec. as basic models, these would be my choices in order based purely on driving them. for manouvreability, the volvo would be first choice due to visibility behind

I know my point of view is different about them, as I started out looking at costs. But the Renault had the volvo whipped when it came to purchase price, fuel costs and general expenses. When it came to reliabilty, it came out on top too. You have to keep on top of the maintenance at all times, but that is good procedure anyway.

Neglect them and they will cause no end of trouble, but look after them and they are bulletproof.

I would take my old Premium over almost anything when it comes down to the nuts and bolts.

im only a driver mate so all i am interested in is driveability. comfort, visibility etc. i did find the seat back was too straight for me. the TGA was the opposite. neither had adjustable lumber support so i had to sit in an awkward way every so often

The button on the right is for the half gear in manual,hold it in and push the stick forward and it will just go up a half gear at a time.
To go up a full gear just push the stick forward.
To go up a gear and a half push the stick forward but hold it forward for a split second longer.
Give that gearbox a month and I’d bet you wouldn’t go back to a manual :exclamation: :exclamation: :wink: