Removing white lines on roads

I think you missed the last bit of this…

I thought you were an advanced driver? Don’t tell me you are one of these that sticks between the lines all the time.
Try going out with an advanced police driver and they will show you the benefits. It may not be beneficial in a truck but in a car or motorcycle driven or ridden properly it has great advantages and is completely safe.

They’ve just went to all this trouble in making lane departure warning systems compulsory on new vehicles, and now they are wanting to do away with the lanes.[emoji15]

albion1971:

but in a car or motorcycle driven or ridden properly it has great advantages and is completely safe.

That’s the bit I was referring to more.IE which is more advanced slower in to avoid the need to cut the corner or shed unwanted speed then faster out to compensate for the lost time.Or faster in cut the corner you’re now committed with no way of getting rid of the excess speed and on the wrong side of the road,if you’ve missed any un sighted traffic approaching in the opposite direction.Excessive entry speed is one of the oldest fatal mistakes in the book for fast road driving. :bulb: :wink:

It’s from Transport for London - who on earth thought it would be sensible from that lot!’

albion1971:

I thought you were an advanced driver? Don’t tell me you are one of these that sticks between the lines all the time.
Try going out with an advanced police driver and they will show you the benefits. It may not be beneficial in a truck but in a car or motorcycle driven or ridden properly it has great advantages and is completely safe.

I understood Carryfast (for once)

To cite what advanced drivers from the police do is neither here nor over the hedge. They are Police advanced drivers. Most of us are normal drivers not driving under blue light rules.

Cutting lines, xyz what have you may make common sense but if you ■■■■ it up and have contravened the rules. Well you know. Do it fine, we all do. But I can’t say it’s sensible. It’s too subjective. Incidentally theres a roundabout under the M1 that leads onto the M69. Every tom and ■■■■ cuts the lines. Are they advanced? More like confused and lost.

I’d rather they attempt to use the lines cheers all the same, whether they consider themselves advanced or not. At least I know what to expect and won’t get a nasty suprise from their self judged “advancedness”

So basically they make the road more dangerous to make it apparently safer. Brilliant. :unamused:

What is it with this country and its obsession with speeding?. Don’t worry about bad driving that’s OK just as long as your not speeding… :unamused:

Bloody brilliant idea at night. No markings. Their intelligence knows no bounds.

The only reason people drive slowly on unmarked Tarmac is unfamiliarity. They stumble across it in road works by sudden and like the unadaptable trumpets we are as humans, it flaws us. Yes, driving a metal box at 80 mph just 10 seconds before felt perfectly safe. Ha ha!! Why? Familiarity, spiced with ignorance. This effect was seen upon the first motorway opening with George teetering along in the Austin.

The second issue is low visibility. By what reckoning is it a good idea to ignore or remove surface markings in low viz? There’s a clue. Seen any paintless runways at large airports recently?? The paint is not there for the fun of it or to encourage aircraft to go fast. The paint is for crew situational awareness. Non CAT 1/2/3 approach airports have no paint. We can’t use them in low viz. Period… In 35m visual range you need the paint.

I’ll bet my stake within a year of widespread non mark main roads the clowns will be used to the sensation and flying as before, but with zero guidance for their small egotistical brains.

Good luck with that London brains

They have had this for couple of years in kensington high st ( think thats the 1 ) . is good .

Obvs if you driving across exmoor at night in fog you need the lines . not only for positioning but warning of corners coming up .

Also would be suicide on motorways .

But in towns and cities there is really no need . to many road signs too .often you cant see signs on road cause someone sat over it in congestion .

All thats needed are some 20mph signs , clearly demarcated and enforced cycle lanes and not much else .

People get blinded by instructions and information and if they can concentrate on whats going on they may well drive safer .

We were meant to be getting this in 20mph bristol but if anything theres more paint and signs .

boredwivdrivin:
They have had this for couple of years in kensington high st ( think thats the 1 ) . is good .

Obvs if you driving across exmoor at night in fog you need the lines . not only for positioning but warning of corners coming up .

Also would be suicide on motorways .

But in towns and cities there is really no need . to many road signs too .often you cant see signs on road cause someone sat over it in congestion .

All thats needed are some 20mph signs , clearly demarcated and enforced cycle lanes and not much else .

People get blinded by instructions and information and if they can concentrate on whats going on they may well drive safer .

We were meant to be getting this in 20mph bristol but if anything theres more paint and signs .

In principle this is fine, however the roads they have trialed it on are not town roads. They are main roads. So even the trial is not aimed at vehicles operating at relatively pedestrian speeds.

Road furniture and clutter. Most motorists seem to ignore the clutter anyway give the way they drive. The one thing they do use and will need is the paint. It’s a bit like the Tarmac and air in tyres, just not as obvious of course.

The paint is a basic guidance requirement for the average office white shirt muppet with zero hand/eye/3D mental model coordination skills to stop his metal 70mph death missle from leaving terra firma or colliding with another vehicle when his limited present and future mental model quickly collapses in confusion. Trust me. I’ve studied this crap.

boredwivdrivin:
enforced cycle lanes

Isn’t that a contradiction in terms? :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I used to drive the road between Dalwhinne and Spean Bridge quite alot. The eastern part of it is quite narrow, and many years ago they had a regular broken line down the middle making two very narrow lanes. The road is very twisty with loads of blind bends, it was a complete nightmare and I think it was once classed as the most dangerous road in scotland

They then as an experiment removed the centre line and painted an edge mark on each side, it was now like a very wide single track, the improvement was fantastic, people started treating corners with caution and meeting idiots became a rarity instead of the norm

an example here
google.co.uk/maps/@56.98108 … 312!8i6656
So for me, I think it worked well on this road

Freightdog . i was at pains to point out wont work on open roads . suicide i said .

Inner city stuff good idea in 20 mphs

I notice A23 A22 mentioned . not sure A22 but certainly A23 when u r 5 miles north from M25 would benefit . in my opinion

Im assuming A100 is the kensington high st thing . but too lazy to look it up . but works well there too

Bluey Circles:
I used to drive the road between Dalwhinne and Spean Bridge quite alot. The eastern part of it is quite narrow, and many years ago they had a regular broken line down the middle making two very narrow lanes. The road is very twisty with loads of blind bends, it was a complete nightmare and I think it was once classed as the most dangerous road in scotland

They then as an experiment removed the centre line and painted an edge mark on each side, it was now like a very wide single track, the improvement was fantastic, people started treating corners with caution and meeting idiots became a rarity instead of the norm

an example here

Novelty schemes like this work for the reasons I’ve stated. Unfamiliarity. In isolation they appear to work on novelty value. However the projection doesn’t hold up. Bare in mind the first time the Victorians shoved a train through a long tunnel, passengers were terrified they’d suffocate. The first time the motorways opened, people dare not go fast.

Unfamiliarity. It soon dissolves and what’s left is a latent risk. A lack of guidance. This latent risk, in this case a fundamental lack of guidance usually shows its dirty hand at the most un opportune moments. Moments such as night time, low viz or heavy precipitation or a combination thereof. At this point the average mental model is at capacity, the brain searching for visual clues, previously content, now robbed and divorced of information. By logical thinking, a driver would be traveling so slow at this point they’d be walking. Aviation and accident psychology says otherwise and there is no reason to thing the heavy research doesn’t apply. Confusion and false hypothesis leads to people doing truly bizarre things when their mental model collapses.

Visual clues form the largest component of our mental imagery. False hypothesis created by a lack of visual stimulus and sensation has lead to many a crash. Make it common place to such an extent it is normal and you’re removing a gate in the threat/error chain.

Freight Dog:

Bluey Circles:

an example here

Novelty schemes like this work for the reasons I’ve stated. Unfamiliarity. In isolation they appear to work on novelty value. However the projection doesn’t hold up. Bare in mind the first time the Victorians shoved a train through a long tunnel, passengers were terrified they’d suffocate. The first time the motorways opened, people dare not go fast.

Unfamiliarity. It soon dissolves and what’s left is a latent risk. A lack of guidance. This latent risk, in this case a fundamental lack of guidance usually shows its dirty hand at the most un opportune moments. Moments such as night time, low viz or heavy precipitation or a combination thereof. At this point the average mental model is at capacity, the brain searching for visual clues, previously content, now robbed and divorced of information. By logical thinking, a driver would be traveling so slow at this point they’d be walking. Aviation and accident psychology says otherwise and there is no reason to thing the heavy research doesn’t apply. Confusion and false hypothesis leads to people doing truly bizarre things when their mental model collapses.

Visual clues form the largest component of our mental imagery. False hypothesis created by a lack of visual stimulus and sensation has lead to many a crash. Make it common place to such an extent it is normal and you’re removing a gate in the threat/error chain.

Having said that given decent Italian drivers it can work because they just make up which side of the road to drive on as they go and still manage to miss each other because they know the width of their vehicle and forget the 20 mph limit.Either that or Rossano Brazzi only drove the bits where it was on the right side of the road and the Lambo driver was taught by advanced UK police drivers who are now advising the HA. :smiling_imp: :smiley: :wink:

youtube.com/watch?v=cgJuVOrXv68

White line are there for information and guidance

Using safe legal available road space is what many drivers do not seem to want to do

ROG:

Using safe legal available road space is what many drivers do not seem to want to do

+1

Do not want to or do not know how in a safe manner?

ROG:

The rule of the road here is drive on the left.The centre line denotes left.You may cross the centre line ‘if necessary’.The idea of cutting corners or crossing it to pass an obstruction if/when there is enough room to not need to doesn’t fit the description of drive on the left.

The example of the type of driving shown in the Italian Job opening sequence.Let alone this,such as at 0.24-0.26 and 0.43. :open_mouth:

youtube.com/watch?v=gshHGe3Zczw

Are,perfect examples of your idea taken to its logical conclusion when people start making up their own ‘rule’ of the road in that regard as to the definition of ‘necessary’ ‘available’ and ‘safe’.Let alone the numerous examples of what happens when that type of driving all inevitably sooner or later ends in tears. :unamused:

wing-nut:
Have to disagree with everyone on this, I think it’s a brilliant idea. If you get rid of white lines, traffic signs etc drivers have to use their brains instead of being on autopilot all the time.
I remember reading about Drachten, Netherlands a few years back which tried a similar idea, they made the roads more dangerous so everybody had to take more care and accident rate dropped dramatically.

I agree. :smiley:
I’ve been working out here in Saudi Arabia for nearly a year and they have started to do the same thing, when they resurface the road they don’t re-apply the markings to delineate the carriageway boundaries.
across most types of roads too, it does seem to work, and in a country with a very poor safety record, they had to try something

nearly 11 months and counting, without pointing a truck, don’t miss it one bit. :grimacing:

Carryfast:

ROG:

The rule of the road here is drive on the left.The centre line denotes left.You may cross the centre line ‘if necessary’.The idea of cutting corners or crossing it to pass an obstruction if/when there is enough room to not need to doesn’t fit the description of drive on the left.

The example of the type of driving shown in the Italian Job opening sequence.Let alone this,such as at 0.24-0.26 and 0.43. :open_mouth:

Are,perfect examples of your idea taken to its logical conclusion when people start making up their own ‘rule’ of the road in that regard as to the definition of ‘necessary’ ‘available’ and ‘safe’.Let alone the numerous examples of what happens when that type of driving all inevitably sooner or later ends in tears. :unamused:

I can tell that you have not done an advanced driver course by your answer as you are quoting by rote what the DVSA say for basic learner drivers and those that have not progressed from that

ROG:

Carryfast:

I can tell that you have not done an advanced driver course by your answer as you are quoting by rote what the DVSA say for basic learner drivers and those that have not progressed from that

Or an argument as to the definition of ‘advanced’.In which case how can you justify any contradiction,between the rule of the road drive on the left,as I’ve described above,v so called ‘advanced’ drivers deciding to alter/ignore it as they see fit.

On that note are you saying that the BMW example in the video is ‘advanced’.Or just numerous examples of zb driving which arbitrarily ignore the rule of the road,in that case drive on the right,with potentially catastrophic results ?.Or for that matter that removal of road markings would not just make it more difficult to apportion blame assuming the innocent driver/s survive/s it ?.