Removing tipping gear

Seen a suitable replacement tractor unit come on the market but it has tipping gear which we don’t need as it impedes on payload. Has anyone done a removal of the system and can tell me what’s involved and rough cost?

Hi mick
Surely it’s as easy and straight forward as unbolting and unpumbing the hydraulic tank,pipes,valves removing the pto&pump and fitting a blanking plate and gasket…
Cost…a Saturday morning in the workshop…
Dave

How much would you think all the kit would weigh in at ?

Mick Bracewell:
Seen a suitable replacement tractor unit come on the market but it has tipping gear

Suitable replacement?
I wouldn’t be worried about the cost of removing the tipping gear but the fact that it’s been on tippers and the way it’s been driven before you acquire it.
Have ya seen the way these “professionals” that drive tippers “drive” ?

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Mick Bracewell:
Seen a suitable replacement tractor unit come on the market but it has tipping gear

Suitable replacement?
I wouldn’t be worried about the cost of removing the tipping gear but the fact that it’s been on tippers and the way it’s been driven before you acquire it.

Snowflake you

ringfur:

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Mick Bracewell:

Suitable replacement?

Snowflake you

I’d like to think of myself as thick skinned, I’ve been called some names over the years but to be called a snowflake by a sweaty sock just about sums up the mentality of ringfur… lead footed tipper driver no doubt.

A wet kit will probably cost around 12 to 1500 quids so anyone looking for one will maybe remove yours for nothing and give you the lorry back as it should be, have a word with the dealer, he will know who buys what in his area.

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Mick Bracewell:

Suitable replacement?

^^^^ this ,I wouldn’t ever buy owt that’s had tipping gear on ,the weight is in the oil ,the pump you can lift these modern ones with one hand and the tank weighs very little anyway ,not worth removing to save weight .

Thanks. The one in question looks well looked after bodywork wise at least. Of course it would be subject to a full road test to check it drives and runs okay before parting with any monies.

Just out of interest, will the tipping gear as it is also run pumping gear (Gardner Denver) on a tanker for collections or is a different type of ‘gear’ required for that job?

^^^^ interesting! As long as the hydraulic hoses are compatible I can’t see a problem tbh. Obviously a tipper needs a helluva lot more hydraulic oil as opposed to a tanker set up. But surely hydraulics are hydraulics. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Mick Bracewell:
Thanks. The one in question looks well looked after bodywork wise at least. Of course it would be subject to a full road test to check it drives and runs okay before parting with any monies.

Just out of interest, will the tipping gear as it is also run pumping gear (Gardner Denver) on a tanker for collections or is a different type of ‘gear’ required for that job?

Tipping gear has one pipe the oil returns via the valve block through the same pipe to the tank ,everything else will require a separate return pipe to the valve on the tank .
Walking floors have spools valves .

Punchy Dan:

Mick Bracewell:

Tipping gear has one pipe the oil returns via the valve block through the same pipe to the tank ,everything else will require a separate return pipe to the valve on the tank .
Walking floors have spools valves .

As Dan says above but you need approx 100/120 litres per minute oil flow and a heat exchanger to cool the oil. The pto fitted will suffice just need to swop the tipping tank for a suitable wet kit

Grumpy_old_trucker:

Mick Bracewell:

Suitable replacement?

Plus the amount of hours idling to work the PTO They normally end up Smokey old motors

OK thanks. PTOs on a tipper won’t be on for long, just enough to raise and lower the body I’d have thought. On a tanker it would be far greater idling time, a full load typically takes about 45 minutes running at 40k/lph.