Removing/tearing down of 100/150/200/300 year old monuments

Ok fair enough, but in those days there was much more freedom of speech,.and much more latitude in what was acceptable on tv.
Watch some tv sitcoms from the 70s as an example.
Btw…I do not ever remember Atomic by Blondie being banned, it was no1 and was regularly on TOTP.

chrisdalott:

robroy:

Munchkin:
What about anything Roman then? Coming over here to enslave the local tribes!
Solidarity with the People’s Front of Judea or was it the Judean People’s Front. Ach, I forget…

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Yeh,.what did the Roman’s ever do for us eh? :smiley:

what about the aquaducts? :smiley: :laughing:

great movie one of the best of all time for being so funny AND making you think about the effects of organised religion

but its interesting that you bring that up, and also say “It all boils down to this new phenomenon of woke attitudes taking precedence over everything else,.and the left wing agenda ruling the roost.”

but people were trying to bad the life of brian back in the 1970s, i think they actually did ban it, so cancel culture was around back then, certain people trying to ban a fantastic film because it may have offended some poor snowflakes, or that it made something they believed in look bad

I put it to you, that there is no new phenomenon of woke attitudes, that things are pretty much the same as they always were. back in my day we called it political correctness, (political correctness gone mad if it was something you disagreed with)

My instincts are that the agendas driving this so-called ‘woke’ phenomenon are distinctly Ultra-right at source when deploying those arcane and deliberately divise ‘left’/‘right’ descriptors. Merely flying under a flag of convenience in time honoured Bolshevist fashion or Hegelian Dialectisism playing out possibly.

robroy:
Ok fair enough, but in those days there was much more freedom of speech,.and much more latitude in what was acceptable on tv.
Btw…I do not ever remember Atomic by Blondie being banned, it was no1 and was regularly on TOTP.

Blimey I didn’t even know that anyone wanted to ban Atomic and Blondie.
I laugh when I see the new warnings on tv programmes that we took for granted.They usually say this programme reflects the views at the time the inference being that we aren’t allowed to hold those views now.

manalishi:
My instincts are that the agendas driving this so-called ‘woke’ phenomenon are distinctly Ultra-right at source when deploying those arcane and deliberately divise ‘left’/‘right’ descriptors. Merely flying under a flag of convenience in time honoured Bolshevist fashion or Hegelian Dialectisism playing out possibly.

The ‘right’ has made a deal with the Bolshevik ‘left’ on the basis of what’s not to like in a system based on a privileged ruling elite controlling a compliant underclass of useful idiots.
As opposed losing everything in a fight to maintain a 1960’s US style society in which they actually get less of the cake and less power.

robroy:

Blondie ‘Atomic’ - This was one of 67 songs to be banned by the BBC during the Gulf War, because of the bombing connotations. Cher’s Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) was also banned.
graziadaily.co.uk/celebrity/new … dangerous/

Gidders:
Also; Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood

Je t’aime.Moi non plus. by Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg

And now John Smiths are using Jane and Serge to sell beer :stuck_out_tongue:

Franglais:

Blondie ‘Atomic’ - This was one of 67 songs to be banned by the BBC during the Gulf War, because of the bombing connotations. Cher’s Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down) was also banned.
graziadaily.co.uk/celebrity/new … dangerous/
[/quote]
All that but the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation seem to have missed Mike and the Mechanics Can you Hear Me Running and Jimmy Cliff Vietnam and Rolling Stones Gimme Shelter.

Carryfast:

robroy:

Blimey I didn’t even know that anyone wanted to ban Atomic and Blondie.
I laugh when I see the new warnings on tv programmes that we took for granted.They usually say this programme reflects the views at the time the inference being that we aren’t allowed to hold those views now.

TV-Programming doing what it does, on a conscious and sub-consciousl level.

youtu.be/3C7ldWrAbtA
This glorious lady tells it like it is and then some.

Carryfast:
Blondie ‘Atomic’ - This was one of 67 songs to be banned by the BBC during the Gulf War, because of the bombing connotations.

There are no bombing connotations in Blondie’s Atomic,… wtf has '‘Your hair is beautiful’ got to do with bombings, not to mention the fact that Atomic means branch of science ‘Pertaining to atoms’.
Obviously just another overpaid complete f/wit exceeding his authority at the BBC. :unamused:

robroy:

Carryfast:
Blondie ‘Atomic’ - This was one of 67 songs to be banned by the BBC during the Gulf War, because of the bombing connotations.

There are no bombing connotations in Blondie’s Atomic,… wtf has '‘Your hair is beautiful’ got to do with bombings, not to mention the fact that Atomic means branch of science ‘Pertaining to atoms’.
Obviously just another overpaid complete f/wit exceeding his authority at the BBC. :unamused:

To be fair they also decided to ban Eddy Grant Give Me Hope Jo Anna.I guess any self respecting B52 or stealth bomber crew would have had Gimme Shelter playing on the Ghetto Blaster over Baghdad rather than trying to find Eddy Grant and Blondie on BBC world service anyway.
Also maybe Howzat by Sherbert when they pressed the release button.

Still no monuments torn down, however one has been attacked in London

news.sky.com/story/man-uses-ham … g-12514570

The person who created the statue apparently abused his two daughters, so someone damaged it… I guess the ones on here protecting Colston (despite not being aware how controversial he has been in Bristol for as long as I can remember) will pipe up soon saying we should be free to abuse kids… After all Claire Fox (mate of Boris) said watching child ■■■■ was a personal freedom.

Darkside:

The person who created the statue apparently abused his two daughters, so someone damaged it… I guess the ones on here protecting Colston (despite not being aware how controversial he has been in Bristol for as long as I can remember) will pipe up soon saying we should be free to abuse kids… After all Claire Fox (mate of Boris) said watching child ■■■■ was a personal freedom.

The Colston staute is interesting as in a vote the people of Bristol voted to keep it and the Mayor has also said that pulling it down was wrong personally I think it is better to leave controversial statues standing but explain the full facts of the person, this will enable people to discuss the person and remind the public what has been done in the past. Remove the statue and the talking point has gone and before long so the reasons as to why the person was controversial.

Darkside:

The person who created the statue apparently abused his two daughters, so someone damaged it… I guess the ones on here protecting Colston (despite not being aware how controversial he has been in Bristol for as long as I can remember) will pipe up soon saying we should be free to abuse kids

Personally I don’t care about how controversial Colston is in Bristol, You don’t have to agree with slavery or incestuous abuse to recognise that tearing down or damaging property, either privately or publicly owned property, is criminal damage.

Two wrongs don’t make a right and never will, we are supposed to live in a democracy not an anarchical state where mob rule rules.

tachograph:

Darkside:

The person who created the statue apparently abused his two daughters, so someone damaged it… I guess the ones on here protecting Colston (despite not being aware how controversial he has been in Bristol for as long as I can remember) will pipe up soon saying we should be free to abuse kids

Personally I don’t care about how controversial Colston is in Bristol, You don’t have to agree with slavery or incestuous abuse to recognise that tearing down or damaging property, either privately or publicly owned property, is criminal damage.

Two wrongs don’t make a right and never will, we are supposed to live in a democracy not an anarchical state where mob rule rules.

I reckon that sums it up in a nutshell.

Saw a recent quote “you may be offended , but that doesn’t make you right “.I reckon that sums up the snowflakes up perfectly .

rigsby:
Saw a recent quote “you may be offended , but that doesn’t make you right “.I reckon that sums up the snowflakes up perfectly .

Speaking of being offended…
M&S have changed the name of their sweets from MIDGET gems in case it offends people with dwarfism.
That is not a poor joke, it is actually true.
independent.co.uk/life-styl … 92184.html

Darkside:
I guess the ones on here protecting Colston (despite not being aware how controversial he has been in Bristol for as long as I can remember) will pipe up soon saying we should be free to abuse kids… After all Claire Fox (mate of Boris) said watching child ■■■■ was a personal freedom.

Protecting Colson?
Is ‘protecting’ the right word?
I personally couldn’t give a toss about Colson, it’s all about putting stuff into perspective.
As for you suggesting that people would condone paedophilia over some statue, I reckon that’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen printed on here. :unamused: