Removing/tearing down of 100/150/200/300 year old monuments

Nearly a month on from the original post and nothing has changed, nothing ripped down since the Colston statue.

Anybody think the press and social media was deflecting attention away from the way this government was handling things?

…or maybe it’s something to do with the pubs being open again, and the rain has come back, so the “don’t-have-a-clue-what-it’s-all-about-but-I’ll-join-in-anyway-cos-it-looks-like-fun” part-time protesters have something better to do with their time. It has always seemed to me that a spell of good weather usually brings out the rioters and their idiot followers.

Bewick:

Carryfast:

dieseldog999:

robroy:
Even one of my childhood heroes John Wayne is catching it now.
There is a campaign to get ‘John Wayne Airport’ re.named because of his…‘‘racist attitude’’ :unamused:
These basts who start all this type of crap off should be gassed. :smiling_imp:…is that right wing enough for you, you [zb] s

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
+1
but not even close…though its all you will be getting away with in here… :laughing:

Forget John Wayne.We’re talking George Washington Bridge and any of his statues and the White House all on the hit list and even the right of the USA to exist at all with him gone.He held more slaves than any of the rest of em. :open_mouth:

I read in The Express to-day that the BLM crowd are after having Sherlock Holmes’s statue removed from its place in Edinburgh !! ffs he was a fictitious Detective so how does he figure in their twisted [zb] minds ! Sounds to me like they are smoking some full strength gear :unamused: Cheers Bewick.

crowd control the correct way.
uk cops hang your heads in shame.

youtube.com/watch?v=sSGF1m8Gx2E

Darkside:
Nearly a month on from the original post and nothing has changed, nothing ripped down since the Colston statue.

Anybody think the press and social media was deflecting attention away from the way this government was handling things?

Oh you awd ante-natal clinic :laughing: …I heartily recco a splendid site called-(Is a C ###) rhymes with blunt,which it is ,make no mistake :slight_smile: Not cro-magnonish by a long chalk.Enjoy.

manalishi:

Darkside:

Oh you awd ante-natal clinic :laughing: …I heartily recco a splendid site called-(Is a C ###) rhymes with blunt,which it is ,make no mistake :slight_smile: Not cro-magnonish by a long chalk.Enjoy.

5 months and still waiting…

Darkside:

manalishi:

Darkside:

Oh you awd ante-natal clinic [emoji38] …I heartily recco a splendid site called-(Is a C ###) rhymes with blunt,which it is ,make no mistake :slight_smile: Not cro-magnonish by a long chalk.Enjoy.

5 months and still waiting…

Only 4 months to go before anything may pop out then.

Nearly a year gone which monuments have gone?

Marcus Rashford’s mural defaced.

Not Guilty verdict from the Jury today, right decision in my opinion i’d have done the same had i been one of the 12

fits in with number 2 on this list - “The use of reasonable force to prevent the crime of an indecent public display.”

The not guilty verdict was an appalling decision in my opinion, the jury should feel ashamed that they found people who were clearly guilty of criminal damage not guilty.

Not condoning the actions of these cretins but the statues presence in the first place is morally dubious.A bloke making his fortune from slave-trading ffs ? Obviously the trader will throw in the token,conscience-salving,civic-appurtenances,maybe a library or school hear and there perhaps, but like knighthoods :open_mouth: the more deserving recipients are generally overlooked in favour of system-serving shills and robber-barrons it’s safe to conclude.

manalishi:
Not condoning the actions of these cretins but the statues presence in the first place is morally dubious.A bloke making his fortune from slave-trading ffs ? Obviously the trader will throw in the token,conscience-salving,civic-appurtenances,maybe a library or school hear and there perhaps, but like knighthoods :open_mouth: the more deserving recipients are generally overlooked in favour of system-serving shills and robber-barrons it’s safe to conclude.

“Morally Dubious” perhaps by today’s standards, but not by those of his own time. His wealth benefited Bristol (and the country) in many ways. History should not be re-written or erased because attitudes change over time. Keep the history and learn from it. The verdict gives the green light for all kinds of criminal damage, in my opinion.

The mayor of Bristol has had plenty of opportunities to take that statue down, I bet hardly anyone was offended by it or even knew about the man.
But on the verdict, we have rule of law in this country, not mob rule.

tachograph:
The not guilty verdict was an appalling decision in my opinion, the jury should feel ashamed that they found people who were clearly guilty of criminal damage not guilty.

I agree,.whatever the guy did in the distant past does not justify criminal damage.
They should have went through the proper channels if they objected to the statue.
It all boils down to this new phenomenon of woke attitudes taking precedence over everything else,.and the left wing agenda ruling the roost.

I get the disapproval of the statue, but it was depicting different times and different values, but then judged by present day standards,.attitudes,.and values.

In my area it was on the local news that women burned as witches locally in the middle ages had been given a pardon :open_mouth: …I mean…ffs !!. :unamused:

i presume the next step will be to pull down all the buildings funded by Colston?

What about anything Roman then? Coming over here to enslave the local tribes!
Solidarity with the People’s Front of Judea or was it the Judean People’s Front. Ach, I forget…

Sent from my R19 using Tapatalk

Munchkin:
Solidarity with the People’s Front of Judea or was it the Judean People’s Front. Ach, I forget…

Yeh,.what did the Roman’s ever do for us eh? :smiley:

robroy:

Munchkin:

what about the aquaducts? :smiley: :laughing:

great movie one of the best of all time for being so funny AND making you think about the effects of organised religion

but its interesting that you bring that up, and also say “It all boils down to this new phenomenon of woke attitudes taking precedence over everything else,.and the left wing agenda ruling the roost.”

but people were trying to bad the life of brian back in the 1970s, i think they actually did ban it, so cancel culture was around back then, certain people trying to ban a fantastic film because it may have offended some poor snowflakes, or that it made something they believed in look bad

I put it to you, that there is no new phenomenon of woke attitudes, that things are pretty much the same as they always were. back in my day we called it political correctness, (political correctness gone mad if it was something you disagreed with)

chrisdalott:

robroy:

Munchkin:

what about the aquaducts? :smiley: :laughing:

great movie one of the best of all time for being so funny AND making you think about the effects of organised religion

but its interesting that you bring that up, and also say “It all boils down to this new phenomenon of woke attitudes taking precedence over everything else,.and the left wing agenda ruling the roost.”

but people were trying to bad the life of brian back in the 1970s, i think they actually did ban it, so cancel culture was around back then, certain people trying to ban a fantastic film because it may have offended some poor snowflakes, or that it made something they believed in look bad

I put it to you, that there is no new phenomenon of woke attitudes, that things are pretty much the same as they always were. back in my day we called it political correctness, (political correctness gone mad if it was something you disagreed with)

RELAX

Tom Robinson - Glad to be Gay

Blondie’s 1980s number 1, Atomic was banned exclusively for using the word “Atomic” at a time when war references were deemed dangerous.

Examples of some of the best decisions by the BBC that promoted the songs to the top of the charts.

Also; Relax by Frankie goes to Hollywood

Je t’aime.Moi non plus. by Jane Birkin and Serge Gainsbourg