Remoulded Tyres

Anyone else have any stories or opinions on them?

Currently sat in the loading bay of a gig having my dual rear near side tyres replaced. The tyre fitter got one off and diagnosed it as crap remoulds instantly. Said that they’d have probably blown within another 300 miles :open_mouth:

I’m guessing they’re cheaper than proper tyres? Now having 2 Michellins fitted though :smiley:

They don’t seem to last as long as original tyres, which makes me think remoulds are false economy. The original tyres lasted 285k on my old Renault, but the remoulds were lucky to do half of that before they were knackered.

The ones on this truck have just suddenly started mis shaping. Boss says they were the ones that came with the truck, all the other wheels have proper brand tyres on.

That happened to ones on mine. It was if the tread was warped and causing flat spots on the tyre. Some bits were down to the bare minimum on tread while other parts had 6mm on it.

Exact same thing. Odd

They are rubbish! Take a tyre thats done 300,000 + miles then stick a new tread on it… :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

So all the kerbs and wacks its had…no thanks fit new :laughing: happy days!

Would rather have a budget brand new than a remould

My boss always said he would never run on remoulds on our trucks, Then he had a blowout on his own motor that also took out a air bag and various other components…Turns out it was a remould !!!

On tipper’s we had retreads on the rear but tried to have them done on our old casings if possible. I had some ATS remoulds on a six wheeler and blew three off in three days…all on the same wheel! First one had a sidewall defect and went flat on me after one day, called at ATS Lichfield who fitted a replacement and that blew apart the following day at Sleaford. Fitted another and that blew off on the A50 at Uttoxetter the day after, lost me some work plus a mudguard and lights.

Pete.

Interestingly enough, aircraft tyres (including airliners) are routinely retreaded, each tyre carcass is serial numbered and records kept of how many times its been retreaded. Can be up to 20 times, so its said.

Buckstones:
Interestingly enough, aircraft tyres (including airliners) are routinely retreaded, each tyre carcass is serial numbered and records kept of how many times its been retreaded. Can be up to 20 times, so its said.

Yes that is true, although I believe they do not use remoulds on aircraft with rear engines where a blowout could result in the engine ingesting the debris

Buckstones:

That’s probably because they are checked before and after every take off and landing. The pressures are monitored too. When was the last time you saw a driver do a correct air pressure check on ALL wheels

The worst ones I experienced were in the 80s BANDAGS The whole tread used to come off them.
regards dave.

dafdave:
The worst ones I experienced were in the 80s BANDAGS The whole tread used to come off them.
regards dave.

And they still do now. Shocking that they’re still trading

nick2008:
When was the last time you saw a driver do a correct air pressure check on ALL wheels

I do regularly, and yesterday found a trailer tyre only had about 4atm in it :open_mouth:

coincidently by keeping an eye on pressure and defects, never had a problem with a remould, have blown two virgin casings though.

had ‘sava’ tyres on the front of my 7.5tonner when i bought it. about half worn.

it did that going down a hill round a corner. the other went the same on the brake test on the mot.

so budget tyres aren’t always better than remoulds…

Yeah but there’s budget like that, and the budget end of the brand names. I know even a tenner a corner makes a huge difference to the tyre bill for anyone operating more than a handful of motors, but you need to dig deeper. Tyres aren’t a cut and dried cost. Too many people think it’s just a case of how many kms you get for your money. I’ve done a bit of investigating into tyre costing of late, and I was shocked to see that Bridgestone and Michelin were at the bottom of the fuel efficiency ratings. Should be a big factor, but how many operators actually run proper trials before setting on a tyre policy

TRRL did test and I remember it coming out favourably
shredding tyres are caused by consistently being run
at low pressure not just being remoulds

Even decent brand tyres can do odd things, I bought pair of new Avons for a 3.5t, not kerbed, run at correct pressure & really quickly like a month, bulged as per the Sava tyre pics above, returned to garage & got something else.

They were rears & had run a tad heavy but no more than any other tyre I’ve had on same vehicles for a million miles or so.

Chatting to a pal about it with same tyres on his crafter, he says so where do they bulge then, I say inner side wall & bend down to point where & say oh just like that! as his had done the same, this time frontd & never carried much weight.

I’ve not bought Avons since.

hitch:
TRRL did test and I remember it coming out favourably
shredding tyres are caused by consistently being run
at low pressure not just being remoulds

Correct, there are of course good and bad ones, Michelin Remix is of a very high standard, using only Michelin cases.
The problem becomes when cheaper casings are used, if they use good quality casings where the operator now what have happened to them, they can last as long as any tyre, and remix can also recut, so max mileage out of them.
Bandag is a lot used by city bus operators in Holland, as there is more damage than wear on tyres, so a cheaper alternative is always welcome.
Also these busses have more regular tyre pressure checks and don’t get overloaded or do long distance.

Most tyre blowouts are due to low pressure and tyre heating up extreme, it’s for your own safety and for the life of the tyre to check pressure weekly (but how many do it)
We use to carry a lump hammer and an airline in the trucks, with the lump hammer you gave a slap on the profile of the tyre and you could immediately on the sound pick up and underinflated tyre. putting pressure into the tyre saved you to do a roadside tyre change later in the day.

Have you ever noticed that where the roadsurface change (from concrete to tarmac) that there are the most tyre shreds lying around?
Mainly caused by difference in temperature of road, if a overheated tyre hit cool concrete, the shock is most times enough to blow it.

I would rather a good quality Remix on the truck than a cheap budget tyre, seen many who are not round, develop bulges on the side after some use, and profile deforming.

the worst option would be a budget carcass with a bad quality remould :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: :unamused: