Reminder

Just a thought- With all these speed camera’s sprouting up all over the place and the amount of money they’re raking in, how about using the money to try and improve driving standards a little. I was just thinking that maybe a signpost placed a hundred yards or so on the approach to a few roundabouts dotted around the country reminding drivers to :angry: USE THEIR CHUFFING INDICATORS!! :angry: OK, so you could leave out ‘chuffing’, or maybe put something a little stronger. Seriously though, i think this is all it would take to dig a few people in the ribs and remind them. I’ll often have to come to a near standstill thinking someone’s about to cross my path, when they’ll suddenly realise you’re stopping for them and signal at the last minute. Now that can’t be idleness, because they wouldn’t have bothered doing it at all in that case, i just think some people don’t think. And it’s not just ‘skateboard’ drivers either! Anyone else think this a good idea? How about a few more suggestions?

No takers? Wasn’t that bad an idea was it?!

I’ll keep thinking then… :wink:

I’ve said this before, there is a way of dealing with those that don’t indicate on roundabouts. If they don’t indicate then you assume that they’re going where you’ve come from and you pull out under that assumption. If you’re half way across the lane and they appear at the side of you screeching to a halt and blasting the horn then what you do is this :

Bring the truck to a swift halt exactly where it is. Wind the window down and ask them what the problem is. When they say that you’ve pulled out in front of them and cut them up you calmly say that you haven’t cut them up at all as you were going straight on. When they say they were turning right you ask them how you were supposed to know that as they weren’t indicating hence the assumption that they were going straight on.
Then go into ultra-sarcastic mode and ask if they know what indicators are, where they are in the car, what they’re used for and would they like any instruction on how to operate them.

That usually does the job. Then you leisurely wind your window up, make yourself comfortable in your seat and gently pull away with a smile on your face.

Brgds

Speedy

Speedy:
I’ve said this before, there is a way of dealing with those that don’t indicate on roundabouts. If they don’t indicate then you assume that they’re going where you’ve come from and you pull out under that assumption. If you’re half way across the lane and they appear at the side of you screeching to a halt and blasting the horn then what you do is this :

Bring the truck to a swift halt exactly where it is. Wind the window down and ask them what the problem is. When they say that you’ve pulled out in front of them and cut them up you calmly say that you haven’t cut them up at all as you were going straight on. When they say they were turning right you ask them how you were supposed to know that as they weren’t indicating hence the assumption that they were going straight on.
Then go into ultra-sarcastic mode and ask if they know what indicators are, where they are in the car, what they’re used for and would they like any instruction on how to operate them.

That usually does the job. Then you leisurely wind your window up, make yourself comfortable in your seat and gently pull away with a smile on your face.

Brgds

Speedy

i know it seems strange but there aint any right turns on a roundabout ■■? there all lefts !!!

:unamused:

Roger, I reckon they aught to use the cash to run a massive telly campaign for all types of stuff, it seems to me that if somethings on the telly, it gets took notice of!

Mal.

you indicate to leave a roundabout not to go round it therefor you turn left off it !!

oddsodz it’s called courtesy to indicate right. You are at a junction after all. It’s so those waiting to pull out know where you are going. You obviously aren’t a trucker as you’d know who ■■■■ annoying it is to stop the fully laden truck as you wonder where said clown is going because they aren’t indicating either way.

I give up.

Brgds

Speedy

Speedy:
oddsodz it’s called courtesy to indicate right. You are at a junction after all. It’s so those waiting to pull out know where you are going. You obviously aren’t a trucker as you’d know who ■■■■ annoying it is to stop the fully laden truck as you wonder where said clown is going because they aren’t indicating either way.

I give up.

Brgds

Speedy

Yes speedy i do drive a truck, as for calling it courtesy.I am just stating a fact of law.I also know how frustrating it can be sitting there waiting,Yes you are at a junction but they are not,its there right of way.So for not indicating OFF the roundabout thats being plain ignorant…just keep putting your nose forward until you get to the point of no return, you or me cannot retrain the ignorant.they will at some point let you out,if it holds them up for 5/10 seconds tough,at least you are on your way again slightly mellower slightly cooler but going forward !!

ps, you should always stop at an unbroken white line…

Speedy,
Can’t fault you mate. I do exactly the same thing.
I thought I was the only sarcastic [zb] around here!! :slight_smile:

Small one.L. :wink:

Speedy:

Brgds

Speedy

and if the car driver happens to get out and is 6’6" tall and 19 stone?? I always use the policy of smiling sweetly at anyone who blasts their horn at me… that upsets them far far more!! I really cannot see the point in entering into dialogue with ANY car driver unless it is to exchange details after they have come up on my inside when I am turning left!! Waste of my good breath as far as I am concerned

oddsodz:
you indicate to leave a roundabout not to go round it therefor you turn left off it !!

I was always taught that if the your exit road off the roundabout (or island, depending on where you live!) is further round than straight ahead then you should always indicate right until you pass the exit before the one you want. If that makes any sense! I don’t have a Highway Code to hand but i’m sure it’s stated in there as well.
Although i have no arguments with the fact that you always end up turning left off a roundabout, and should therefore use your left indicator to ‘indicate’ this. I’m sure it’s habit to most drivers on here, i for one find myself doing it in the early hours when there’s no sign of another vehicle for miles! It just seems as though more and more people aren’t bothering, and like Speedy said, it’s frustrating and [zb] annoying to either have to stop when you didn’t need to, or have somebody glide across your path without indicating so. We can all state the fact that you should be ready to give way to traffic on the roundabout at all times, but if everybody was to use their signals it’d make the job a whole lot easier.

Right, I’ll shut-up now!

Liked your idea about the television campaign Mal, and yeah, there are several other driving information films that could do with being thought up. Like you’ve said in the past, they used to be all over the tele 15 or so years ago, where are they now?!

found this for you :laughing:

Image removed as it contains content which breaks TNUK rules mm

:blush: Sorry to nick your job ROG, this is one of my pet hates so had to put it on…

:laughing: Anyway for those who are`nt sure about Roundabouts…Read this more at this link…Special attention required to 185 bullet point 3 :exclamation: The Highway Code - Using the road (159 to 203) - Guidance - GOV.UK