Remembrance day, who showed respect?

Not a slating thread, just a question on how you showed respect today, if at all!

I mean, did you time taking a break over the 11:00 period to show silence for 2 mins out of the year?
Do you have a poppy on yer truck? pics?

i went to the local cenotaph. it’s just a shame there were so many vehicles driving past. some people have no shame.

Went to the service in Hereford.

Stopped unloading lorry and stood with store staff / customers
in shop.

Went to Durham City service great turn out everybody clapping the marching troop’s

Not too many judging by the replies,I sat quietly at home for a few minutes.

On the Yahoo homepage there’s a story about a footballer who didn’t wear a poppy on his shirt.

I think that story is just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

If you choose to wear a poppy, you’re showing a sign of respect for what it stands for.
But if you don’t wear one, does that mean you’re being dis-respectful towards it?

I don’t think so, but it seems trial by media strikes again.

I stopped at home this year and watched the parade on TV.

Went to the service in Caerphilly, my son is in the Cubs and was part of the parade though the town, all traffic was stopped by the police and it was eerily quite until the parade stated.

I stopped what i was doing and showed my respect. My step farther did a march with all his medals for the RAF. My wife’s 85 year old Grandfather did a march also with all his war medals (D-Day war vet)

All in all we showed our respects

cieranc:
On the Yahoo homepage there’s a story about a footballer who didn’t wear a poppy on his shirt.

If you choose to wear a poppy, you’re showing a sign of respect for what it stands for.
But if you don’t wear one, does that mean you’re being dis-respectful towards it?

Footballers have them stitched on their shirt, they haven’t got a choice.
Have you got a link?

aye just back in after service down in the village had to walk down as we had a blizzard for last day and a half ,even the the loons on the snowmobiles stopped when the bells rang.
jimmy.

cieranc:

I haven’t worn a poppy in a few years.

It felt disrespectfull when they get damaged or lost.

I still donate but don’t take a poppy.

Although I’m not in work today, I’ve also not been out of the house, so would be pointless wearing 1 in the house.

I did my 2 mins silence at 11am - unlike the bbc commentator who wouldn’t shut up and had to be muted - unless my clock is wrong, but everyone else was silent.

I would wear a poppy to show my support, but I wouldn’t wear a tattered and battered 1, so in work I don’t wear 1.

uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/prem … 15555.html

We did at the track today, all got stopped at 11 for 2 mins

I was waiting on a bay to be loaded at 11.00 but I was thinking about it all especially after visiting The Somme region this year and seeing thousands of war graves and generally touring the area. :frowning:

waynedl:

cieranc:

I haven’t worn a poppy in a few years.

It felt disrespectfull when they get damaged or lost.

I still donate but don’t take a poppy.

Although I’m not in work today, I’ve also not been out of the house, so would be pointless wearing 1 in the house.

I did my 2 mins silence at 11am - unlike the bbc commentator who wouldn’t shut up and had to be muted - unless my clock is wrong, but everyone else was silent.

I would wear a poppy to show my support, but I wouldn’t wear a tattered and battered 1, so in work I don’t wear 1.

same here, don’t where one as they last all of 2minuite’s due to the job… still donate and take a plastic car poppy though

Me and my family! My ultimate Heros are the WW2 veterans! All soldiers should be remembered for their sacrifice wether alive or not! :slight_smile:

My wife and I and our two youngest daughters (12 & 5) attended our local service, our eldest daughter (15) took part in the parade as she is in the Army Cadets. Our little town centre was brought to a standstill whilst the parade took place by the police holding the traffic back. It is a shame that some people still felt the need to go into the Lidl store during the service and do their shopping. What I did see was an elderly gentleman stop a younger man who was definately of Eastern European origin trying to force his way through the crowd with his Lidl shopping whilst the silence was been observed. To you sir (elderly gentleman) I take my hat off and commend you! To the younger Eastern European man I say go and learn some respect!!!

bald bloke:
I was waiting on a bay to be loaded at 11.00 but I was thinking about it all especially after visiting The Somme region this year and seeing thousands of war graves and generally touring the area. :frowning:

I can relate to that mate. We were driving down the D20 and came across the Caterpiller Wood cemetery by accident.
I was properly shocked, I don’t know how many graves there actually were, but I would reckon on being well over 5’000.
It left me in awe, how it could be that many people were killed in one place, left me slightly hollow.

That hollow feeling got compounded when I realised how many of those cemeteries there were in that area. There’s literally hundreds of them scattered around the countryside.

I still find it difficult to comprehend the circumstances those men fought and died in, the sacrifice they made. Not only by laying down their lives, but serving, living, fighting in such horiffic squalour for all that time.

That said, I’m actually cheered by the amount of young’uns on Facebook who still pay their respects.
It’s clear that they will not be forgotten.

EDIT: flashearth.com/?lat=50.02557 … =0&src=msa
Each one of those white lines is a row of headstones, 10 in a row IIRC.

Me! as I always have done, and I watched the Cenotaph service on tv. A couple of points why does that Prince Edward knobhead think it’s appropriate to dress up as a high ranking Army officer, especially when he couldn’t make the grade as a Royal Marine, a bit disrespectful I reckon, and why are Politicicians at the front of the queue when nearly all wars are due to their faliure, they should hang around at the end of the queue.