Remember the future?

The Nikola electric semi?? youtube.com/watch?v=qiB5MHnL7eU

Lol, what a cringe! You think if it were possible/economical they would’ve had one in production by now.

The futures here already

drover:
Tesco to begin UK’s first commercial use of fully electric HGVs | Tesco | The Guardian

The futures here already

Oh wow they’re going to be DAFs? I was expecting Teslas, after all they were going to start mass production of theirs in 2019 :laughing:

Btw, spoiler alert for those who don’t know: the video I posted…the truck they showcase…yeah, they rolled it down a long gradient and got caught for it. They never made a working truck.

drover:
Tesco to begin UK’s first commercial use of fully electric HGVs | Tesco | The Guardian

The futures here already

The least possible final miles by road shunting transport industry.Warehouse to wheels indeed.

It’s just the start

Don’t normally wade in on stuff like this…BUT…

I test drove the rigid Volvo Electric FE not long ago and the ■■■■ thing was AWESOME. Forget about range for now, it’s more complicated than meets the eye because these things regenerate when braking*. Just purely from a driving perspective they really are fabulous. You quickly forget you’re not in a diesel, not least because modern diesels are so quiet now anyway, until you stop. Then you go to pull away and get MAX TORQUE from zero mph. And my god do these things pull.

If they can sort out the charging for long distances, I’d have an electric tractor unit in a heartbeat. Seriously.

(*3 hour drive, started with 180-odd km range, finished with 160-odd…)

Lucy:

I test drove the rigid Volvo Electric FE not long ago and the ■■■■ thing was AWESOME. Forget about range for now, it’s more complicated than meets the eye because these things regenerate when braking*. Just purely from a driving perspective they really are fabulous. You quickly forget you’re not in a diesel, not least because modern diesels are so quiet now anyway, until you stop. Then you go to pull away and get MAX TORQUE from zero mph. And my god do these things pull.

If they can sort out the charging for long distances, I’d have an electric tractor unit in a heartbeat. Seriously.

Nice to hear. :smiley:

If we don’t learn from what happened in the past, we’re condemned to repeat the same-old mistakes, and if we don’t learn from History - we’re doomed to repeat it…

The best way to scry the future - is NOT to take a “straight line view” of what you think is happening right now.

Chances are, the politicians have got you to look in the completely wrong direction, so even a ■■■■ in that general direction - will completely miss it’s target - won’t it?

Being able to see the future - is about closer examination of the all-too-often ignored side effects of what is happening everywhere in plain sight…

Eg. I’ll predict that people who work in a public sector office - don’t have much of a future, as their “firm” will pretty much completely own them, end expect “non-disclosure” without question, but for no extra cash offered for keeping stumn.

Ever wondered how those faceless people in call centers who tell some hapless widow somewhere “Your benefits are going to be cut” - or worse - “You’ve been overpaid, and now must pay back thousands out of your newly-reduced future benefits”…

There are plenty of ways to drive people to suicide, but we now have Call Centers up and down the country who do it on a professional level!

Lucy:

The rigid and seperate drawbar trailer LHV configuration would solve a lot of the range issues because the prime mover’s payload can be scarificed to all the downsides of battery weight leaving plenty of scope on the trailer in its own right.
While a big power drawbar prime mover has always been an awesome piece of kit when running solo.A bit like a solo tractor unit but with all the handling advantages of a proper rigid.
I can see the advantages especially if it was combined with a proper manual box which would obviously magnify the regenerative braking effect even more dropping down through the lower gears.
Although regenerative braking isn’t mutually exclusive with ICE using mechanical type recovery systems.
While sadly I don’t think that our politicians intend our road transport industry to be running anything like 300-400 miles in a shift in their intended brave new utopian nightmare.

I can see the advantages especially if it was combined with a proper manual box

Given electric vehicles only have 2 gears, that would be truly pointless. Besides which, there’s no clutch etc involved - these are electric motors, remember, not engines.

Lucy:

I can see the advantages especially if it was combined with a proper manual box

Given electric vehicles only have 2 gears, that would be truly pointless. Besides which, there’s no clutch etc involved - these are electric motors, remember, not engines.

Electric supposedly being mutually exclusive with conventional transmission is a myth.
Admittedly not an I shift or an 18 speed Fuller but the princible is the same and cheaper with a better spread of gears than the dedicated EV drive train.No reason why that principle couldn’t be upscaled and applied to a conventional truck driveline using an electric motor instead of diesel ICE.I shift combined with EV would be interesting or good old fashioned 13 speed fuller.

youtube.com/watch?v=Xqy4AG82GWw 1.54 - 2.15

I was only reading about the Nikola Tre electric truck the other day, They’ve delivered two to a California drayage company & Hamburg port authority have made inquires for 25 of them. insideevs.com/news/555495/nikol … delivered/

Do I still get paid? Yes?
Electric trucks it is then.

Falcon JSDF:

You’ll get paid for the 2 hour run you’ll manage to squeeze out then sent home while the truck takes its daily 9 hour recharge :laughing:

ETS:

Falcon JSDF:

You’ll get paid for the 2 hour run you’ll manage to squeeze out then sent home while the truck takes its daily 9 hour recharge :laughing:

To be fair might have them charging on a rota so two two hour runs.
The rest of the 15 hour shift warehouse to wheels means what it says.