Remapping?

Is it worth it, on a truck that does 98% urban work?? :confused:

I.E. the one I’m driving… '06 Volvo Fm380, 8 legger double drive, with a PM50 crane and cheese wedge body.

They’re keeping my wagon maybe another couple of years so was wondering would it be worth it because of the spiraling fuel costs ATM (£1.50 a litre by new year they said on the news this week.)

And I would like a bit more go because by the time I get going, it’s time to stop again :blush: (missed opportunity at lights, junction etc)

P.S. who’s had theirs done already, any good??

sorry, I don’t get it, wtf are you on about, this post does not make sense.

Sapper

Presume he wants to get a bit more"oomph". Re map the engine to increase the hp output?
For the sake of “getting away from the lights” a bit quicker to stop at the next set . . cant see the point meself.
Didnt cheese wedge bodies used to be called “beaver tails” ?

i was under the impression that a remap for more oomph wouldnt help your fuel costs. and you could get it remapped differently for better fuel economy. im probably way off the mark but its just something i presumed :smiley:

Im not sure if it is worth it. I suppose you have to look at the cost of it and how much of a hit your fuel will take. Ive never been in a truck that been remapped but i know of a guy that will remap and has remapped a few trucks. He mainly does motorhomes and vans, his van is stupidly quick but when you drive it where you are using this extra power your fuel costs shoot up.
For extra power to just shoot off from lights i see no point. You will just stop again. As for missed opportunities, another will come.
You can have them remapped for better MPG however i take it the poster is on about having it remapped to give him extra power. Motorhome wise(yes, different to a truck) i know of a few people who have had their van remapped and found it too heavy on the go juice so had it changed so they got better MPG. Wasting money on having it remapped once, for it to then be changed to give better MPG.
Me personally, i wouldnt bother.

Yes I’m on about remapping for better mpg, but I was told when it’s done, you do get a bit more oomph too.

Goldfinger:
Yes I’m on about remapping for better mpg, but I was told when it’s done, you do get a bit more oomph too.

Yes you do. Same principle applies to any vehicle, particularly turbocharged, regardless of whether it’s a car, van, truck, whatever. To cut a long explanation short, when new vehicles come out of the factory the ECU is very much retarded mainly for emissions reasons and also because theoretically it will cost them less in warranty repairs than a vehicle running at its max potential would. In most cases the remap just alters the timing, fuel delivery, turbo boost pressure and other stuff so that the engine is running more ‘in sync’ (for the want of a better phrase) and thus much more responsive to drive. Although you have more power and torque on tap, you don’t see the expected increase in mpg because it’s cancelled out by the remapping of the ECU to make everything run more in sync. Not one of my better attempts at an explanation I’m afraid, but I think you get the idea.

I had our company van remapped from 100hp to 135hp by a top guy in Motherwell (Joe @ Power-tune Scotland) and it just transformed it from a sluggish no-guts piece of cheese into a real smooth flying machine, plus also a 20% improvement in mpg (actual figures, not from OBC) which is pretty incredible. As far as I know he doesn’t do trucks but he’s been in the business a long time and is well respected on quite a few car/van forums. I know he’s got strong links with other reputable places around the UK, particularly the Midlands so give him a call and if he can’t help you himself he’ll put you in contact with someone that can. Beware there’s a lot of cowboys in the remapping business, particularly the mobile van variety that promise insane power increases but haven’t got a clue what they’re doing and end up destroying your ECU/engine to which you have no comeback when they disappear into the moonlight. Use someone reputable and established as you get what you pay for in the remap business. :bulb:

Thanks Rob, and also, I was told you don’t have to work the engine as hard too, so another saving there I think.

the FM 380 i have at work has been chipped to about 460. the previous driver who had it when it was done says ever since it takes a little longer cranking time to start, other than that no problems.

Goldfinger:

Well why didnt you say so !! :laughing: - save a few bob on fuel whilst running the crane aswell :stuck_out_tongue:

my boss had a 114 340 scania chipped to 400 pulls much better and still pretty good on fuel :slight_smile:

as for the cheesewedge question there are several diferent types of ramp set ups the firm i work for has 3 diferent types . cheesewedge the ramp folds down to create a flat rear ,flip toe they fold upright with the top 3rd folded behind , straight beavertail the ramps just fold to the upright position.

mucker85:
the FM 380 i have at work has been chipped to about 460. the previous driver who had it when it was done says ever since it takes a little longer cranking time to start, other than that no problems.

The truck is either :

a) [zb]ed
b) some other fault
c) bad remap

A remap (sh)would have no bearing on how long the engine takes the crank.

If you rise your power you may kill Clutch,axle and gearbox.Dont know if volvo has on 380 and 430 not anywhy same gearbox and axle you may find out by Talk with volvo.
rising power cost Fuel.but you could exchange your Methusalem 380 against a engine newer Generation.But here also will Volvo know if you could upgrate to a 430,as higher (too high) Torque can kill everything from Clutch to Axle
Otherwise the lorries build to run for years.Just look after them.

Lovlyperson:
If you rise your power you may kill Clutch,axle and gearbox.Dont know if volvo has on 380 and 430 not anywhy same gearbox and axle you may find out by Talk with volvo.
rising power cost Fuel.but you could exchange your Methusalem 380 against a engine newer Generation.But here also will Volvo know if you could upgrate to a 430,as higher (too high) Torque can kill everything from Clutch to Axle

I do, but the previous driver(s) just abuse them! :cry:

This is my home for 10 hrs a day FFS, after I was on holiday, my truck felt ‘different’ just didn’t feel right :confused:

And so, because I look after it as best I can since previous arses on seat haven’t, they want me to have the new scania that arrived on wednesday, er, no! Too long a story.

Anyway, how much roughly is a remap these days, and how long does it take to recoup cost of etc, (if it is worth it afterall)

Goldfinger:

Lovlyperson:

I do, but the previous driver(s) just abuse them! :cry:

This is my home for 10 hrs a day FFS, after I was on holiday, my truck felt ‘different’ just didn’t feel right :confused:

And so, because I look after it as best I can since previous arses on seat haven’t, they want me to have the new scania that arrived on wednesday, er, no! Too long a story.

Anyway, how much roughly is a remap these days, and how long does it take to recoup cost of etc, (if it is worth it afterall)

No idea on truck remapping costs I’m afraid. If no-one else chimes in with any details, bell up that guy I mentioned and he should be able to point you in the right direction.