Remapping and chip tuning

Hi guys,

I’ve been working as a mechanic on HGV’s for the past 12 years and have recentley started out on my own little venture carrying out remap’s and chip tuning. So far customers have been mostly turbo diesel cars, 4x4’s and light commercials. With my background and interest being in HGV’s I thought I’d ask you guys direct about your opinions and experiences of having your wagon tuned. I hope to establish a UK wide on-site service. So come on… what do you think !!

where r u based at the minute Dr Diesel ?

I’m in Johnstone… about 5 mins from Glasgow Airport… I travel throughout UK though so location not a problem

No one had this done?

Dr Diesel:
No one had this done?

Yes but they knack the engine up so no-one wants them anymore.

feathers have most of the market swen up through reputation

there was an article in truck and driver, an old boy had a daf 85 that he had chipped and it was ok - i think the article was around june 2005, he was pulling for ab texel and had the truck done because he didn’t want to change the truck.
he had his done at feathers and i think the key factor was that he listened to what feathers had to say and followed their advice, he could have had it chipped higher but didn’t as he was told this could cause problems.

chipping problems i would think relate directly to the amount of extra bhp people try to force out of the truck.
there is a level of extra tolerance you can get from any engine but if you go past that level then you are going to develop problems long term.

it’s worth doing your homework dr diesel, punchards in staffordshire had a couple of volvo’s chipped a few years ago and had to replace the radiators for bigger ones within a few months due to overheating problems.

feathers have got a very good name simply because they’ll have a look at what the engines doing first and if it’s tired they’l tell that rechipping isn’t the answer.
in truth how many want to get more power from a good engine?

the maps we use are all tuv approved and we keep things within a sensible limit so not to cause any problems such as overheating. levels of tuning vary but if i were an owner operator i would look for fuel economy as opposed to power although an extra few bhp is always nice.