relocation

can anyone tell me how much notice a company has to give a driver on the issue of relocating their base of operations. the base will be moving approximately 20 miles further away.

Can’t seem to find an actual notice period however these links might assist you.

gov.uk/employer-relocation-your-rights

workingrights.co.uk/relocation.html

Have they even bothered to tell you when they expect to move?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I know some companies in the past have used that kinda thing to change T&C in contracts and some had to reapply for their own jobs whereas others have paid extra in expenses for a period to compensate.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

What does your contract say?

the move is taking place on 13th march, 2 weeks from now. contract doesn’t mention anything

tried those web sites and others including acas, cant find anything at all.

Start here:
gov.uk/employer-relocation-your-rights

Sent using smoke and mirrors

tried that web site as well, still no clue.

Tell your company to make you redundant (if you work there longer than 2 years) and let them pay redundancy.
They will show you all the laws, without you looking for anything, you will be surprised how helpful they are if they only think it’s going to cost them money. :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

The company doesn’t have to give any notice if it is written into your contract of employment you signed, any company that has more than one depot are likely to have this in place already, get reading because I know a lot of people don’t read what they are signing.
The last place I was at had this “must be prepared to work at any of our other sites” term in there contract, they bought the original firm i was working for and tried there best to get us to sign one of there contracts with there worse terms and conditions, they failed by the way.

thanks for last 2 comments, fall out from relocation… my mileage will double, travel time will double, approx. extra £1000 on my fuel bill over a year. company offering 13pence a mile over 6 months!!! that’s it. no redundancy pay out. received letter stating the move takes place on 13 march. nothing in contract about moving. I have been given 2 weeks notice of the move, is that enough?

gov.uk/redundant-your-rights/overview

Not able to offer much help but how many of you work at the yard which is being relocated?

If it is less than 20, then if my memory serves me correctly, then there is pretty much nothing you can do about it. Is there a lot of work in the area you are located or is it the only job for miles around? If you have a choice, then take the mileage money for a few weeks until you find something closer to home which is less wear and tear etc.

Been through redundancy a couple of times and I took the money both times and have always found work.

Have a read at this: m.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4254

If it is over 20 miles you can assume that you are made redundant and your company only need to give you a week notice (assuming you are paid weekly)
Maybe a good advice at your local citizen advise.

You don’t have to move with them, it’s not breach of contract by you if you don’t (if it’s not stated in your T&C )

paid monthly, total extra mileage per day is 44 miles round trip. not a lot really but without wage increase or permanent travel expense it adds up to over a £1000 a year

You need to see this in the light of the disgusting nasties’ intention to return us slowly to a feudal system. From starting off with bleats about how difficult it was to sack workers it is now publicly admitted that GB is the country in which it is the easiest to get rid of workers.

telegraph.co.uk/business/201 … ker-posts/

theguardian.com/politics/20 … hts-shares

anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk … wages.html

The way I’m reading it you’re also not 100% happy in job as well ?
Me , if job was great I would ■■■■ it up and pay extra travel but if job is Zb then work the 6 months but be active in looking for better
How far do you travel to current depot ?

currently 18 mile round trip, to new depot 44 mile. defo not happy and am looking for new job. as I stated I am just curious whether they are giving me enough notice by law

horseshoe:
currently 18 mile round trip, to new depot 44 mile. defo not happy and am looking for new job. as I stated I am just curious whether they are giving me enough notice by law

Don’t forget your contract of employment when you start your new job… :wink: