Relocation pending - list of haulage firms please

I’m moving towards the Spalding/Boston area later on this year, by the time I move I would have had my C entitlement for a year and had a years experience doing multi drop work. I will be doing my C+E before I move and will be looking for driving work.
Can people from this area or with knowledge of this area give me the names of some haulage firms to apply at. I don’t mind nights out, I’d rather not work nights as I’ve done it for the last 6 years and I have had enough of the body clock shock every week but will do if there is nothing else and I don’t mind what type of work it is but obviously have no experience in anything other than supermarket mutli drop. Any advice or help greatly appreciated.

Browns distribution, or Kyme haulage, or staples farms?

Fowler Welch were recently looking for drivers in Spalding…

Thanks a lot peeps, Kymes is a new one on me what sort of work do they do? I hear Browns were brought out by Turners of Poland is this true?
Do you know if these firms want the 2 years experience and does cat C work count towards the 2 years?

NewLad:
Thanks a lot peeps, Kymes is a new one on me what sort of work do they do? I hear Browns were brought out by Turners of Poland is this true?
Do you know if these firms want the 2 years experience and does cat C work count towards the 2 years?

Just lie, you have been driving since the day after getting your cat C

All on paper tachos of course…

All of my tachos are analogue apart from the odd and I mean like 3 in a year were on digi

Kimes Wrangle, Bostonski , unless you like maxing out your hours for not much money I would not recommend, It is a real shame as they are one of the few smaller locally run business’s, and the people who run it are decent people and the people who work there are decent as well, I could not afford to carry on for them however, trucks are ageing premiums and a couple of Scanias.

Folwers Spaldinski is near minimum wage so I have heard…never done anything for them tho.

Freshlinski Spaldinski (Also known as Freshlink) I would avoid unless your fluent in an eastern european language, they are about the worst haulier I ever worked for, badly organised, bad planning bad communication if you speak english as the planners and call takers speak partial english (for the most part), if your not the above you stand out like a sore thumb and are generally as the minority ignored and treated as a third rate citizen in your own bloody country, I cant express how much I disliked doing agency for this company, ended up refusing to work there in fact.

Gist Spaldinski - Decent enough, getting new trucks (old ones were a little grubby and tired but well maintained), never had anything to complain about working for them, fairly balanced workforce for the most part as well. People are also nice enough to work with there.

Browns/Turners - My current employer, pretty decent, planners go nuts occasionally but are genuinely decent enough, really nice bunch of lads as well, we have a few Poles and other Europeans but again with the exception of a couple of ignorant twonks they are a decent bunch as well. new fleet of trucks coming on board with trailers to follow so I am told, money is day rate and pretty decent unless you get shafted with a 13+ hr day, I seem to average 55/60hrs a week on 5 shifts, not in a rush to leave, they are recruiting at the moment as well.

HTH.

My opinions are based on Agency working on nights with Gist and Craplink, and full time with Kimes and Browns/Turners.

Might be worth considering travelling to Peterborough as there’s a load of RDCs there.

I heard the other day money has gone down the pan in Peterborough since the invasion…we got several drivers from Peterborough because of lack of work in that area ?

Phantom Mark:
Kimes Wrangle, Bostonski , unless you like maxing out your hours for not much money I would not recommend, It is a real shame as they are one of the few smaller locally run business’s, and the people who run it are decent people and the people who work there are decent as well, I could not afford to carry on for them however, trucks are ageing premiums and a couple of Scanias.

Folwers Spaldinski is near minimum wage so I have heard…never done anything for them tho.

Freshlinski Spaldinski (Also known as Freshlink) I would avoid unless your fluent in an eastern european language, they are about the worst haulier I ever worked for, badly organised, bad planning bad communication if you speak english as the planners and call takers speak partial english (for the most part), if your not the above you stand out like a sore thumb and are generally as the minority ignored and treated as a third rate citizen in your own bloody country, I cant express how much I disliked doing agency for this company, ended up refusing to work there in fact.

Gist Spaldinski - Decent enough, getting new trucks (old ones were a little grubby and tired but well maintained), never had anything to complain about working for them, fairly balanced workforce for the most part as well. People are also nice enough to work with there.

Browns/Turners - My current employer, pretty decent, planners go nuts occasionally but are genuinely decent enough, really nice bunch of lads as well, we have a few Poles and other Europeans but again with the exception of a couple of ignorant twonks they are a decent bunch as well. new fleet of trucks coming on board with trailers to follow so I am told, money is day rate and pretty decent unless you get shafted with a 13+ hr day, I seem to average 55/60hrs a week on 5 shifts, not in a rush to leave, they are recruiting at the moment as well.

HTH.

My opinions are based on Agency working on nights with Gist and Craplink, and full time with Kimes and Browns/Turners.

Really good info mate thanks a lot did Browns ask how much class one experience you have? Also what agency were you with in case Im struggling for full time work? Thanks again.

I really can’t remember if Browns asked me or not tbh, I have 13yrs so it is something which goes in one ear and out the other very quickly, I can find out tomorrow for you if you like, working tomorrow ?

I cannot recommend an agency in the Boston Peterborough area sorry, however I can strongly suggest you avoid one called HRL from Cambs, they run at (or did) Freshlink among others and between them still owe me nearly £200 a year on, I must get around to making my small claims application in fact !

Last agency I was with has shut up shop, was working in Newark at Stobs…which is also closing sadly.

Thanks again Mark for the info and yeah if you could find out about the 2 years experience that would be great! It’s a bit nerve racking as I’m moving from Nottingham out into the sticks and I’m used to being on a decent hourly rate. I know I wont get anywhere near that rate where I’m moving to but really don’t want to be out of work long, as I never have been out of work before always moved jobs.

There’s Garns from Spalding who are next door to the Scania dealer and also down the road from Gist. A bit further north there’s Staples, Clements and Edward Pearson all based around the Boston area. I’ve no experience of working for these places but these are who I see frequently in the area.

Went past Browns yard in Lincs the other day and saw a sign outside advertising for drivers. ■■■■ the agencies :smiling_imp: ,try and get in direct, and lie about your experience, the only way to get on in the REAL world.

robroy:
Went past Browns yard in Lincs the other day and saw a sign outside advertising for drivers. [zb] the agencies :smiling_imp: ,try and get in direct, and lie about your experience, the only way to get on in the REAL world.

Isn’t that sign there all the time■■?

Norfolknewbie:

robroy:
Went past Browns yard in Lincs the other day and saw a sign outside advertising for drivers. [zb] the agencies :smiling_imp: ,try and get in direct, and lie about your experience, the only way to get on in the REAL world.

Isn’t that sign there all the time■■?

No idea mate, maybe it is, who knows, I’m not down there that often, I just thought I would tell the lad about it who was looking for a job, that’s all.

Off their website:

Class 1 LGV Drivers (click to view more details)
Reference: SPAL01
We require drivers with a Class 1 licence to work in our Refrigeration division at our Spalding depot. Available vacancies include day drivers, early and late starts including weekend work. Longer journey work is also available including nights away from home.

In relation to peterbrough , stobies have been sniffin around tescos just like they did with dony ,

holliefabbabe:
In relation to peterbrough , stobies have been sniffin around tescos just like they did with dony ,

I thought Stobarts were already running Tescos in Peterborough?

hi mate i worked for browns for a bout 6 months on locals i didnt have any problems wwith them, when i started i had 2 years class 2 and passed my class 1, 1 week before starting as long as u dont mess up on the driving assement u wont have any problems.