Regular weekly rest period

Hi Recently started new job, when I went for job employer stated that I was required to work every saturday.

The other week he stated that he wanted me and my colleague to have every second saturday off.

Now he has turned round and stated he wishes us to work the following way

Week 1 Saturday Both work

Week 2 Saturday Colleague off. I work

Week 3 Saturday Me off Colleague works

Week 4 We both work

Is this legal as far as I can work out the rules state that a regular weekly rest period must be taken every week. Or 1 regular rest period the following week reduced weekly rest but the third wekk must be regular plus compensation for reduced rest.

Can someone please help and let me know what we should be doing so we can stay on the right side

Not possible to answer without more information. What time do you finish work on the Friday of the weekend you don’t work? What time do you resume work after that weekend? What time do you finish work on the Saturdays you work and what time do you resume work the following week? It would also help to know your start and finish times during the week.

At first glance it doesn’t look legal but it is all in the timings, how much you are reducing by and how much daily rest you have each day.

Hi

The weekend we dont work we usually finish on the friday between 16.00 and 17.00.
We resume work at 04.00 Monday mornin.

Finish time on the Saturday we work is usually between 13.00 and 15.00. We resume work on the monday at 04.00.

Start time mon - fri is usually 04.00 finish can vary between 15.00 - 17.00.

Thanks for your help in this matter much appreciated

In that case it is not legal. You are reducing your weekly rest in week 1 and 2, while your colleague is reducing in week 3 and 4, consecutive weeks which is not allowed. The only way it will work is if you work alternate Saturdays, one of you in week and 3 and the other in week 2 and 4. Alternatively, you both work one week and not the next. Either of these ways the compensation for the reduced weekly rest will made up on the week you are off, so no problems on that score.