Regional variations of names for "fly" sheets

I’ve always called the “narrow sheet” put on top of the main sheet a “fly sheet” whereas my long gone pal Eric Poss on the Brady Octopus and Trailer always referred to it as " A Flapper sheet". Other terms I have heard are “Drip sheet” and a Scottish term was " A Skin " or in dialect " A Skun".
Does anyone else have any other names for this sheet from other areas of the UK ? Just wondering ! :wink:

Bewick:
I’ve always called the “narrow sheet” put on top of the main sheet a “fly sheet” whereas my long gone pal Eric Poss on the Brady Octopus and Trailer always referred to it as " A Flapper sheet". Other terms I have heard are “Drip sheet” and a Scottish term was " A Skin " or in dialect " A Skun".
Does anyone else have any other names for this sheet from other areas of the UK ? Just wondering ! :wink:

Fly-sheet or strip-sheet.

A long narrow strip of material as opposed to burlesque connections, of course. :smiley:

This buyers guide of lorry sheets may be of intrest from 1964.

Click on pages twice to read.

Interesting article Dean ! The 12oz TCS sheet on the Atki artic was the identical product I standardized on for the main sheets at Bewick Transport from 1970 onwards 30ft long X 24ft wide on the general traffic trailers and 30ft long X 28ft wide for the Bowater Scott toilet tissue traffic. The Fly sheets I had made in 15oz PCV covered nylon 46ft Long x 12’6" wide for the general traffics and 50ft long on the Bowater traffic. I had a centre panel and a half in red stitched down the centre of the 28ft wide sheets which helped to I D them when they were rolled up or in our sheet store ! :wink:
All the best for Christmas and the New year Dennis,

I know my Father and mates in the Northeast called it a Fly Sheet back in the 50’s/60’s but by the 80’s it was being called a Drip Sheet and re-termed again into ‘Dripper’ by later generation drivers, now they call it a curtain! :slight_smile: Franky.

Bewick:
Interesting article Dean ! The 12oz TCS sheet on the Atki artic was the identical product I standardized on for the main sheets at Bewick Transport from 1970 onwards 30ft long X 24ft wide on the general traffic trailers and 30ft long X 28ft wide for the Bowater Scott toilet tissue traffic. The Fly sheets I had made in 15oz PCV covered nylon 46ft Long x 12’6" wide for the general traffics and 50ft long on the Bowater traffic. I had a centre panel and a half in red stitched down the centre of the 28ft wide sheets which helped to I D them when they were rolled up or in our sheet store ! :wink:

Colour coding was useful. We had green standard sheets, green with white center panel bottle sheets, and red strip sheets.

Picking them was another audible way of judging their size:
Strip sheet made a gentle little blow of air, up to a loud grunt when ■■■■■■■ a bottle sheet onto the shoulder.

We had these wonders arrive suddenly, about 9 ft wide and very very long. The ties just about reached the rope hooks so only one half hitch usually possible. When new the polypropelene rope was very shiny so two or three passes over the top with rope were sometimes needed to ensure it didn’t depart skywards.

trucknetuk.com/phpBB/downlo … p?id=98672

Franglais:
“Bewick” Interesting article Dean ! The 12oz TCS sheet on the Atki artic was the identical product I standardized on for the main sheets at Bewick Transport from 1970 onwards 30ft long X 24ft wide on the general traffic trailers and 30ft long X 28ft wide for the Bowater Scott toilet tissue traffic. The Fly sheets I had made in 15oz PCV covered nylon 46ft Long x 12’6" wide for the general traffics and 50ft long on the Bowater traffic. I had a centre panel and a half in red stitched down the centre of the 28ft wide sheets which helped to I D them when they were rolled up or in our sheet store ! :wink:

Colour coding was useful. We had green standard sheets, green with white center panel bottle sheets, and red strip sheets.

Picking them was another audible way of judging their size:
Strip sheet made a gentle little blow of air, up to a loud grunt when ■■■■■■■ a bottle sheet onto the shoulder.

Dennis & Franglais,

You both make good points about being able to identify the size of the sheets as that does seem a very sensible way of doing things. A few pics
that you will both relate to showing the fly sheets in a different colour to the main sheets. The first one shows both the sheets are the same
colour which does not seem like a very good idea.

A01989.JPG

A01710.JPG

A01716.JPG

A02189.JPG

A02112.JPG

Dean I like the Thompsons fly as it has a central band of white letting the driver know that the sheet is central on the load, a good idea I think, Buzzer

Buzzer:
Dean I like the Thompsons fly as it has a central band of white letting the driver know that the sheet is central on the load, a good idea I think, Buzzer

Yes i agree that was what Dennis was saying he had as well. :wink: