Regarding digital tacos

Maybe odd question but I heard different things, I have a new style digi card
First is can u move your vehicle while still on a break even for a few seconds and it won’t disrupt your break.
Second is sometimes I’m in a rush so will watch timer soon as it’s get to 45 I’m off. Been told I should wait for few extra minutes as it doesn’t register it. When I use analogue I’m always taking longer breaks mainly because I keep forgetting to set my watch to the taco clock!

Is any of this true?
Thanks in advance

As soon as you get it rolling your break will be cancelled it will resume on to driving so if you move after say 25minutes only a few meters then you need to start again. I always finish my break on 46minutes wether this makes a difference it shouldn’t but it’s just habit.

You can move a short distance and stop and it would not record that as driving but your tacho would have gone to cross hammers so quickly turn it back to break and it should show uninterupted break if you were to do a print out.

On a digi tacho if it shows 45 min break then it’s 45 minutes so no need to have longer, perhaps on an anologue you might want an extra minute to be safe.

Pjelle:
First is can u move your vehicle while still on a break even for a few seconds and it won’t disrupt your break.

Be careful doing this, you are extremely unlikely to get away with moving a vehicle fitted with a type 1 digital tachograph.
However a type 2 digital tachograph will record the longest activity in a minute, so if the only 2 activities recorded were break and driving you should be able to drive for no longer than 29 seconds without recording any driving.

However when I’m on a 45 minute break I’ll move at 15 minutes or just over then start a new break of 30 minutes otherwise I simply won’t move.

Pjelle:
Second is sometimes I’m in a rush so will watch timer soon as it’s get to 45 I’m off. Been told I should wait for few extra minutes as it doesn’t register it. When I use analogue I’m always taking longer breaks mainly because I keep forgetting to set my watch to the taco clock!

Is any of this true?
Thanks in advance

Why use a watch or timer to calculate break lengths with a digital tachograph :confused:

See this post

tachograph:
However when I’m on a 45 minute break I’ll move at 15 minutes or just over then start a new break of 30 minutes otherwise I simply won’t move.

Why do that?

tachograph:

Pjelle:

Be careful doing this, you are extremely unlikely to get away with moving a vehicle fitted with a type 1 digital tachograph.
However a type 2 digital tachograph will record the longest activity in a minute, so if the only 2 activities recorded were break and driving you should be able to drive for no longer than 29 seconds without recording any driving.

Pjelle:

Is any of this true?
Thanks in advance

Why use a watch or timer to calculate break lengths with a digital tachograph :confused:

See this post

you gotta watch that Tacho , I’ve had the vdu telling me I’ve had 30 min only to be told I’ve only had 29 min later but yes the counter is there so just let it roll to 32min …mind I’ll set me timer on me phone cause I’ll be in the garage havin a free brew fri and sat :wink: :wink:

nick2008:

tachograph:

Pjelle:

Pjelle:

Is any of this true?
Thanks in advance

See this post

you gotta watch that Tacho , I’ve had the vdu telling me I’ve had 30 min only to be told I’ve only had 29 min later but yes the counter is there so just let it roll to 32min …mind I’ll set me timer on me phone cause I’ll be in the garage havin a free brew fri and sat :wink: :wink:

I’ve always timed my breaks by the display on the tachograph and it’s never been wrong, on a few occasions when I’ve been in a hurry I’ve set off bang on 15/30/45 minutes and never had a problem.

Snudger:

tachograph:

Why do that?

I was talking in reference to the OPs question about moving a vehicle whilst on break, what I meant was if someone wants me to move for any reason I’ll move when I’ve had 15 minutes and have a split break or I won’t move at-all :wink:

I didn’t mean I split every 45 minute break just for the hell of it :smiley:

Thanks everyone just seemed odd to me you could move while on a break.

tachograph:

Snudger:

tachograph:

Why do that?

I was talking in reference to the OPs question about moving a vehicle whilst on break, what I meant was if someone wants me to move for any reason I’ll move when I’ve had 15 minutes and have a split break or I won’t move at-all :wink:

I didn’t mean I split every 45 minute break just for the hell of it :smiley:

Doh! :laughing:

As mentioned before, it depends on the tacho & software.
Best way to find out if you can do it is to try.
Park up in a yard, layby etc and go on break.
5 mins in ,pull forward a few feet, mode will change to driving, then stop. Mode will change to other work (usually), so put it back on break.
Tacho will display 0 as break, but should catch up from where you left off after a minute or less, IF its the type that lets you do it.
Previously, we had a 12 plate daf 7.5 that would let us do it, handy when you’re parked up on a residential estate and someone decides they need you to move forward a few feet.

I have a different query.
When I get the truck im going in it says driving without card.this is due to yard shunting earlier . but for me to continue with my card you have to press ok.does this leaves me responsible for
the driving without card.

limo man:
I have a different query.
When I get the truck im going in it says driving without card.this is due to yard shunting earlier . but for me to continue with my card you have to press ok.does this leaves me responsible for
the driving without card.

Welcome to Trucknet-UK limo man :wink:

The answer to your question is no.

Just press OK until the warning has gone then carry on, all you need to bother about is what activities are recorded for you on your driver card.

As has been said, moving forward even a few feet whilst on rest will usually make the tacho change to driving which of course will disprupt your rest period unless this happended at 15 minutes in which case you could take a split rest. I’ve also known that if a truck needs to be moved whilst on rest, the driver removes the card, the yard man moves the vehicles (not the driver :sunglasses: ) and then the driver puts the card back in and creates a manual entry for the time the card was out of the head. The way tachos record time in newer heads will however mean the vehicle can be moved forward for a short period without recording driving. However, should VOSA be watching you then you will get done…

As regards using a timer for recording break…I wouldn’t. It is unlikely the timer and the tacho will be in sync and what the tacho says, goes.