References? (within last two years)

I have the possibility of quite a well paid job but they require references from the last two years.

Since I have been self employed for a while I have no way of getting them.

Although I have carried out self employed work for people, not enough for them to provide a reference.

Offered character references and work references from 2008…but that’s not good enough!

Would you hold your hands up and let it slide, … or what?

They will call back tomorrow, Friday.
global.

Ask your bank for a reference and at least one company who have cvontracted work to you

Thanks for your reply JLS.
Not sure the banks these days really know their customers enough to provide the kind of reference they require and most of my customers are domestic and don’t have multiple jobs done so they don’t really know me either.
If I get a lot of ideas perhaps the penny will drop, so thanks.
Cheers.
global.

Just approach your best customers and get references from them. If you’re as good as you think, they’ll back you. Good luck.

I would simply explain you have been self employed and as such not able to provide employers reference. Tell the truth and explain why you would prefer to be employed!

Yes, i have spoken to them and they insist on a reference from the previous two years which I may not be able to provide. Perhaps there are no solutions that’s why I threw it open’ if only to see what others would do?
global

If you have been self employed for the last 2 years then it’s an impossible request. If you have been employed within the last 2 years then approach previous employer - Without more information then I really see it as simple as that.

How about a reference from your accountant. That will at least prove you weren’t in jail or something.

When I joined a company (Castrol UK Ltd) after being self employed for 10 years or so, they insisted on references. I told them my situation and it was agreed that my probation period would be extended to 6 months (double the normal) they were quite happy with that - it may be worth making a that kind of offer. It was the best job I ever had, shame after 7 years I got TUPE’d to Wincanton - thats life I suppose :frowning: :frowning:

Would they consider refs for the last two years before your self employment? It’s worth asking.

get an old one and change the date.

I would forge one :wink:

A reference from a friend pretending to be a business, or better still a glowing reference from a firm that is no longer trading.

since YOU were your employer for the last few years cant you write a personal reference on company headed paper for yourself??or if you were a ltd company get the company secretary to write the reference?

Thanks Harry they would probably need your phone number though! Ho ho!
Just to clarify
Must be within the last two years.
Must be a work reference and not a character reference.
Business contacts do not know me well enough to vouch for me.
Since I have been self employed I don’t see a way to get one but I’m loath to let it slip
global.

tax office,accountant and bank manger will all supply references if you have been self employed

So you need a reference from your last employer who has since stopped trading, that’s tough :frowning:

Lucky you got that written reference from him before he closed the doors for the last time wasn’t it :smiley: :wink:

Having said, that it sounds like you’ve already told them that you was self employed in which case the idea from hardyd44 is probably your best bet otherwise I’m afraid you’re screwed :frowning:

I was a self employed ADI running my own driving school for 10 years, had an enhanced CRB. When I started applying for jobs because I had no “references” I just didn’t exist they weren’t interested. Talk about computer says no and tick box. It’s all ■■■■■■■■, I had all my ADI certificates and my enhanced CRB by the DSA.

I did some agency work and then used these parasites as a reference.