Reefer work vs. ambient

It’s been 3 weeks now since my change from general haulage onto reefer work and I’ve noticed quite a few differences :

1. Fridges don’t magically run on “air” sadly, and need filling up every week or so when on frozen stuff. I’ve noticed that red diesel takes beards to come out of the nozzle when filling up and to get 150 ltrs in a near-empty fridge is not a pleasant experience when it’s -2C outside and blowing a gale, also not fogetting no clip on the nozzle handle :imp: . Why do I always get the fridge that’s nearly empty too :question: :imp:

2. Some fridges have more LCD settings than you can shake a stick at. They also don’t start on “AUTO” and merely sit there cranking and not spluttering into life. I buried my head in the sand when I belled up the gaffer to tell him the fridge was buggered and he sent down the fridge grease monkey to sort it. 2 seconds later it’s alive and chugging, oops :astonished:

3. You immediately become about 50 truckers enemies when you waltz into Tibshelf at 11pm for a razz with a frozen load on :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :sunglasses:

4. RDC’s just aren’t a problem on fridge work :exclamation: Believe it or not, Tesco’s Didcot is actually my favourite place to go at the moment. I will guarantee that I’ll be straight on a bay, tipped and paperwork signed within 20 minutes :exclamation: :exclamation: Tesco’s Doncaster need about an hour however.

5. Sleeping with the fridge running on constant is just sooooooooo good :open_mouth: :laughing: :laughing:

6. Serious weight-loss required for squeezing into gap to put the air and leccy lines on. :confused: :open_mouth: :confused: :open_mouth:

So far so good :exclamation: :stuck_out_tongue:

Hey, I’m pleased your enjoying the fun of fridges…

But please park it somewhere that I’m not parked up and trying to sleep lol…

(If the cab curtains are closed I’m probably sleeping, or trying to…)

(Tell that to the pillock that parked his fridge next to me at Reading a few weeks ago, but dropped his trailer and parked his unit across the other side of the truck park!!!)

Ha! I was parked up round the corner from Iceland at Swindon a few days back and there was a Reed Boardall driver dropping his trailer there. I pulled up behind his trailer to park up for the night and he told me to shift because he was parking there :confused: I asked the obvious questions and he said that he’d not long started for them but couldn’t stand the noise the fridge makes and definitely can’t sleep with it running :open_mouth:

[So hang on a minute here… You know the company ONLY does reefer work, you hate the noise the fridge makes, but you still took the job :question: :question: :confused: :confused: How stupid is that, like :exclamation: ]

So anyway, he looked at my wagon and saw I was pulling a fridge too. He asked if I was empty so I said no, I’m full with bananas and the fridge is on auto. He said to me, “well don’t park anywhere near me then”. :confused:

I couldn’t be arsed to take up an argument (I must have been ill… :smiley: ) and parked outside Iceland’s gate instead.

Nowt so strange as folk, as the saying goes.

I remember a story about a reefer driver who unhooked and parked up behind his trailer for the night.
In the morning, he woke up, opened the curtains, and there it was, gone. Someone had lifted his trailer during the night.
If you’re going to do this, invest in a kingpin lock, ■■■■ sight cheaper than replacing a trailer and its contents on your insurance.
In an overnight parking situation, if the fridge has to stay on, then park the wrong way round, ie, with your cab, and the fridge, towards the tail of the neighboring wagons, a little more sociable, or after your last drop, wind the fridge temp right down to -30, let it get there, and when you go to bed, turn the thing off, should last the night except in really hot weather.

Dratsabasti:
I remember a story about a reefer driver who unhooked and parked up behind his trailer for the night.
In the morning, he woke up, opened the curtains, and there it was, gone.

ROFLMAO - the way that was put had me in stitches, I really need to spend less time on my own. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1. You’ve not been to Tesco at Daventry yet. 6hrs isn’t uncommon.

2. THe wise amongst us put the trailer brake on the back under so far, attach the suzies then back under completely.

Conor:
6) THe wise amongst us put the trailer brake on the back under so far, attach the suzies then back under completely.

You’re right, I’m aware of that, but I’m lazy and that’s too much messing about :laughing:

Unfortunately, all our trailers are 2nd hand and of varying marques so some have short pins and others have long pins so this happens.

I have done Tesco Daventry and was tipped and turned within an hour.

Tesco Didcot 4 times a week. Normally in there by about 03:00 Good tip no problem then round the tray wash. The Longest bit is matching up the reams of paperwork :angry: