Redundant as of today :(

Came home a few days early from holiday to find a notice of redundancy letter waiting for me. Its dated today.

Still a bit gutted but im wondering how I now stand regarding notice, holiday entiltlements e.t.c The letter states that as of TODAY im redundant and im getting 1 weeks pay, then thats it. What happens to any holiday entitlement thats left over? I think I have about a week left over. Ive only been working there for 20 months or so, so im not entitled to redundancy. I dont know how many other drivers have had “the chop” but I suspect its just me.

What benefits am I entitled to while looking for work? I know I should be looking elsewhere for advice over this but my heads still spinning a bit.

Any advice much appreciated.

Nice of them to tell you face to face or at least over the phone, letter equals cop out cowardly.

Go straight to the jobcentre and see how the other half live,a constant source of amusement.

Maybe, but I guess a letter is needed to make it “official”. As fas as my boss is aware, im still on holiday and wont be getting back to see the letter until Saturday. Ringing me would have put a serious downer on the holiday, perhaps thats why he didnt choose to ring me. Atleast coming back early means I get more time to job hunt.

Sorry to hear that.

First. get in touch with your employer. Ask, ( without getting heated and having a rev -up, which gets you now-where), what the full SP is.

If you are not in a Union, ( which is when people in your position, and needing advice, find that they come in handy), get yourself down to your nearest Citizens Advice Bureau, and you will get a free half hour with a Solicitor. Phone up first, to make an appointment.

Go to your local Employment Center ,( or whatever they call them now) ,and explain your case to them.

Good Luck.

Bad news mate ,get registered with the agencies and the job centre they might help you make up a C.V.but apart from that they are quite useless.

Lankytim:
Came home a few days early from holiday to find a notice of redundancy letter waiting for me. Its dated today.

Any advice much appreciated.

direct.gov.uk/en/Employment/ … G_10026616

Get ya ■■■ round to ACAS!!

I thought there had to be a 90 day notice or pay in lieu of notice■■?
Get advice

G8YMW:
Get advice

A lot depends on contract and/or length of employment with company

G8YMW:
Get advice

I think its a weeks notice for every year you’ve been there, up to a maximum of 3 months. You have to give the same if you quit. So you are definitely owed a weeks money and whatever holiday money you’re owed. As you’ve had the weeks pay, that’s about it, unless you can screw the holiday money out of them. Holiday is usually 1.5 days a month, so how many days have you had this year ?

You have to give the same if you quit

not unless you have agreed to this in your contract.
usually only a weeks notice is required from an employee.

smoker:

G8YMW:
Get advice

I think its a weeks notice for every year you’ve been there, up to a maximum of 3 months. You have to give the same if you quit. So you are definitely owed a weeks money and whatever holiday money you’re owed. As you’ve had the weeks pay, that’s about it, unless you can screw the holiday money out of them. Holiday is usually 1.5 days a month, so how many days have you had this year ?

I think ive had my whole holiday entitlement for the year, so if anything I owe the company money as ive had the chop half way through the year.

Ill be seeing the boss tomrrow as I still have his mobile and lorry keys. I dont think for a moment hes trying to screw me out of anything- even If I am owed something I think its a case of the firm having imploded into nothing- i.e no money left, only a big debt. Things will be civil with the (ex) boss when I see him, id imagine hes feeling sick as a parrot at the moment, I feel lucky I can just walk away from this mess- hes stuck with it.

Id been there for 22 months BTW, 2 months more and I would have got redundancy!

I think you would be best just walking away. At least don’t complain about the terms. You are “up” already due to the holiday, and while technically he can’t sack you while you’re on holiday, you are at most going to get another few days pay. Is it worth the hassle and grief ?
del949, I bet he signed a contract when he started. Everybody uses the same contract, cut ‘n’ paste.

Can you not be sacked while youre on holiday? I didnt know that- although it makes no difference to my position. Surely being sacked is different to being made redundant because the company has gone to the wall?

Smoker, I have no doubt that he did sign a contract when he started.
However I doubt very much that he is required to give more than a weeks notice.
Notice I say give not be **given.**Anyone who is paid weekly usually only has to give a weeks notice. Even if you are paid monthly if you have your wages calculated on a weekly basis, i.e. overtime/bonus then the same applies. Unless of course you sign an agreement for something different.

Lankytim:
Can you not be sacked while youre on holiday? I didnt know that- although it makes no difference to my position. Surely being sacked is different to being made redundant because the company has gone to the wall?

If you’re sacked it generally means no dole money, if you’re made redundant then you get it straight away.

One thing I discovered is that you cannot just walk into a job centre, you have to arrange an interview and they tell you when to come in, gone are the days of 70 blokes stood outside waiting for the doors to open. It was a shock to me, never been used to it before.

Wheel Nut:
One thing I discovered is that you cannot just walk into a job centre, you have to arrange an interview and they tell you when to come in, gone are the days of 70 blokes stood outside waiting for the doors to open. It was a shock to me, never been used to it before.

Turn up in just your underwear and you’ll bypass all queues and get a few other perks too !!