Reducing haulage rates because YOUR costs have gone down

roadtransport.com/Articles/2 … e-cut.html

In a letter leaked to Motor Transport, Neil Barlow, Tarmac senior manager, logistics, writes: “This action takes into account recent changes in industry operating costs and reflects the downward impact of those changes over the past several months.”

I gotta ask what planet this guy is on if he really believes that, or is it ( in my more cynical view) them taking the easy option to weather out the crisis in building, if so why could he at least not be more frank about it?

well why i am not suprised one instance they charge £55.00 plus for waiting time for trucks on site and pay £25.00 to owner drivers they are just finance houses these days making more money out of owner drivers than quarrying quarries or and by the way its thier progative.

I’ve not noticed costs going down recently :wink:

It’s a great business plan though ! Owner drivers are much cheaper than buying and running your own trucks :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

Tarmac have the deliveries in the south done by MRS Distribution. At a lower rate than the previous hauliers were doing it for. And MRS sub it out as well, I don’t know how people can make it pay lol

Rikki-UK:
http://www.roadtransport.com/Articles/2009/06/24/134030/tarmac-risks-haulier-anger-with-rate-cut.html

In a letter leaked to Motor Transport, Neil Barlow, Tarmac senior manager, logistics, writes: “This action takes into account recent changes in industry operating costs and reflects the downward impact of those changes over the past several months.”

I gotta ask what planet this guy is on if he really believes that, or is it ( in my more cynical view) them taking the easy option to weather out the crisis in building, if so why could he at least not be more frank about it?

Rikki - this bloke is on ‘Planet Tarmac’.

As others have said they charge the punter 55.00/hour and pay the haulier (who is the one waiting around with his own vehicle) only 25.00/hour. Some might say if the customer is happy then you could come to an ‘arrangement’ and cut out the quarry ( :wink: ) - however, I know of one haulier who did this and the quarry found out and made him pay the cash back! :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :imp:

Tarmac bleats about things like this but they are the ones that punt out all their concrete plant work to bigger haulier to save themselves a few pence a load when they are sending eight wheelers out with four tonnes on and paying them 19 tonne for doing the job.

They’ll never change though but the sad fact is that if you want to run a truck on regular quarry work you have to be in with them…or find enough work to do your own thing. :open_mouth:

self employed household gas fitter £59.80 p hour big quarry company ownerdriver £100k investment
£25.00 P hour now let me think ?

as mr a davies says that there was not a lot of money in job, why doesn’t he vote with his feet and just pull off job? sounds like he was making enough to complain about job, if it was so bad wouldn’t you just find something else? im sure i would. ive left more than 1 job because i was not happy with either job or rate.