reduced weekly rest

hi all !

i’m hoping that someone can put me out of my misery (and i don’t mean shooting !) .

what the question is , last month i came back to the uk from santander for the first time . previously i’ve used bilbao or normally use caen (i only go into europe 6-10 times a year) .now obviously you can get your reduced weekly rest on the bilboa-portsmouth run , but with the santander -plymouth being only a 20 hour crossing here is my dilema .

if you arrive on the docks and at 8 in the morning and get parked up , can you use the 1 hour movement that you can use for the daily rest to interupt the reduced weekly rest. as i’m sure anyone who’s been on santander docks will know , your only moving the truck for about 10 mins to get it in the boat …

any info will be appreciated …

No, you cannot interrupt the weekly rest in the same way you can with daily rest. You need at least a continuous period of 24 hours .

On the old rules when i was working for McLanachans we used the Rosyth Zeebrugge crossing when we needed a weekend break, we checked with vosa and the below is how we had to do it.
As the crossing is 19 hours we could not drive the truck on to the ferry but had to go on as a foot passenger having used our own transport to get to the terminal .
We were told we could not do a ferry move in a weekend rest .

thanks for that info !

was’nt that impressed with the pont aven anyway… this gives me a good excuse not to use santander again …

does anyone know if they ever put the stabilisers on , because when i went on it ,the sea only had a mild swell ,but the boat was rocking like it was a gale force 8 :open_mouth:

twisterboy:
if you arrive on the docks and at 8 in the morning and get parked up , can you use the 1 hour movement that you can use for the daily rest to interupt the reduced weekly rest.

Twister, if you read what you wrote, you’ve already answered your own question!

As usual, coffee’s info is accurate.

I am not certain that there is such a clear cut prohibition

Looking at the 11 April 2007 description of a weekly rest;

“Within six 24 hour periods from the end of
the last weekly rest period, a driver will
extend a daily rest period into either; a
regular weekly rest period of at least 45
hours, or a reduced weekly rest period of
less than 45 hours but at least 24 hours.”

Suppose that you had taken most of a daily rest period including a ferry trip and one hour movement privilege, and then you were told to weekend at the arrival port. Would you really have to start the weekly rest again from parking up.

petrock:
I am not certain that there is such a clear cut prohibition

It’s very clear cut, a weekly rest period, whether full or reduced, is one continuous block, it cannot be split. The regulations detail how it is possible to split a daily rest and how to interrupt it, no mention is made of either option in relation to weekly rest which means it cannot be done. You can only work with what is in the regulations, you cannot make bits up that are not there.

petrock:
Looking at the 11 April 2007 description of a weekly rest;

“Within six 24 hour periods from the end of
the last weekly rest period, a driver will
extend a daily rest period into either; a
regular weekly rest period of at least 45
hours, or a reduced weekly rest period of
less than 45 hours but at least 24 hours.”

This quote just confirms it. You extend the daily rest period into a weekly rest period, with no gap in between. You still have to ensure you have the correct amount of rest in that final 24 hour period of your week, 11 hours or reduced down to 9 if you still have a reduction available. The fact you can extend this daily rest period into a weekly rest means you don’t have to take the daily rest period for the final 24 hour period of your week and then take a weekly rest. If you couldn’t extend a daily rest into a weekly rest it could mean taking a weekly rest of up to 56 hours - 11 hour daily rest + 45 hour weekly rest.

petrock:
Suppose that you had taken most of a daily rest period including a ferry trip and one hour movement privilege, and then you were told to weekend at the arrival port. Would you really have to start the weekly rest again from parking up.

Yes you would. A continuous period of at least 24 hours would be required as you are away from home, or at least 45 hours if the reduce option is not available to you.