Reduced weekly rest question

Hi everyone, so you have a reduced weekly rest, when you pay the ‘compensation’ back does that effectively wipe the slate clean in terms of when you can have another reduced weekly rest?
So my recent shift pattern has been this…

Friday 1st finished 17.30
Saturday 2nd rest (reduced)
Sunday 3rd start 04.30 finish 14.00 (weekly rest 35hours)
Monday 4th off
Tuesday 5th start 07.30

Having had Monday 4th off does that effectively pay back the reduced rest hours owed allowing me to have another reduced rest this weekend?
Hope this makes sense, your help is appreciated

James7716:
Hi everyone, so you have a reduced weekly rest, when you pay the ‘compensation’ back does that effectively wipe the slate clean in terms of when you can have another reduced weekly rest?
So my recent shift pattern has been this…

Friday 1st finished 17.30
Saturday 2nd rest (reduced)
Sunday 3rd start 04.30 finish 14.00 (weekly rest 35hours)
Monday 4th off
Tuesday 5th start 07.30

Having had Monday 4th off does that effectively pay back the reduced rest hours owed allowing me to have another reduced rest this weekend?
Hope this makes sense, your help is appreciated

A reduced weekly rest period is a reduced weekly rest period regardless of whether or not the compensation has been paid back.

The answer to your question is that even though you’ve paid back the compensation for the reduced weekly rest period on the 3rd it still counts as a reduced weekly rest period.

Although in some circumstances you can have reduced weekly rest periods on two consecutive weekends there’s not enough information to say whether or not that would apply to your situation this weekend.

I’ll admit I wasn’t aware of the 2 consecutive rule regarding reduced weekly rest (very rare I need to reduce to be honest), I assumed you could, so yesterday I reduced again and drove today, downloaded my card and no infringements have been flagged, so I’m confused. Can I drive tomorrow?

James7716:
I’ll admit I wasn’t aware of the 2 consecutive rule regarding reduced weekly rest (very rare I need to reduce to be honest), I assumed you could, so yesterday I reduced again and drove today, downloaded my card and no infringements have been flagged, so I’m confused. Can I drive tomorrow?

There’s no reason why your card would have flagged up an infringement today because there’s still time to start a regular weekly rest period before the end of the week (24:00 tonight).

I can’t say whether or not you can legally work tomorrow without knowing what weekly rest periods you’ve had since you last had 90 hours off.

To put it simply, think back to when you last had 90 hours off then started a working week on a Monday or later, if since then you’ve always worked days and not had a reduced weekly rest period until last weekend you should be OK to work tomorrow.

Sorry I can’t be more precise but you’d have to post your weekly rest periods since the last time you had a 90 hour rest period to get a precise answer :wink:

tachograph:

James7716:

There’s no reason why your card would have flagged up an infringement today because there’s still time to start a regular weekly rest period before the end of the week (24:00 tonight).

I can’t say whether or not you can legally work tomorrow without knowing what weekly rest periods you’ve had since you last had 90 hours off.

To put it simply, think back to when you last had 90 hours off then started a working week on a Monday or later, if since then you’ve always worked days and not had a reduced weekly rest period until last weekend you should be OK to work tomorrow.

Sorry I can’t be more precise but you’d have to post your weekly rest periods since the last time you had a 90 hour rest period to get a precise answer :wink:

No, thanks for your input tachograph, what is the relevance to the 90hours? 11/10/19 15:50 to 16/10/19 14:30 just worked out that 116h 40mins off between those dates

11/10 to 16/10 crossed sunday midnight so with 90+ hours off you have a regular weekly rest for the week ending 13/10 AND a regular weekly rest for the week starting 14/10

Now work forwards from 14/10

14 - 20/10 = regular weekly rest at the start of the week
21 - 27/10 =
28/10 - 3/11 =
4 - 10/11 =
11 - 17/11 =

The flight manual…

In the spaceship found at Roswell New Mexico would be easier to understand.

No finer example than this complete cluster ■■■■ of information is needed to show that the whole system is garbage and needs sorting out. Add in the utterly pointless WTD rules and that would be the turd on top of the whole sorry affair.

Compensation 3 weeks later, what’s the point? If you haven’t had the sleep/rest you didn’t get inside of 24 hours or thereabouts, it’s pointless.

James7716:
what is the relevance to the 90hours? 11/10/19 15:50 to 16/10/19 14:30 just worked out that 116h 40mins off between those dates

By knowing that you started on a Monday or later after a rest period of 90 hours or more we know that the last 45 hours of the 90 hour rest period can count as a regular weekly rest period for the week you started back to work.
(You can have a weekly rest period at anytime in the week even before you’ve started work)

So the week from 14/10 to 20/10 you had a regular weekly rest period.
If you’ve had a regular weekly rest period every weekend from then until last weekend you’re alright to have another reduced weekly rest period this weekend.

yourhavingalarf:
The flight manual…

No finer example than this complete cluster [zb] of information is needed to show that the whole system is garbage and needs sorting out. Add in the utterly pointless WTD rules and that would be the turd on top of the whole sorry affair.

Compensation 3 weeks later, what’s the point? If you haven’t had the sleep/rest you didn’t get inside of 24 hours or thereabouts, it’s pointless.

And that’s helpful in what way ? :confused:

Actually the regulations can be as simple or as complicated as you choose to make them, the only reason the OPs weekly rest periods have become more complicated is because he seems to have mistakenly thought it was always OK to have reduced weekly rest periods on two consecutive weekends.
In fact I’d say that most of the questions on this board regarding the regulations get asked either because the driver is new or because a driver is doing something he/she isn’t used to doing, such as in this thread.

tachograph:

yourhavingalarf:
The flight manual…

No finer example than this complete cluster [zb] of information is needed to show that the whole system is garbage and needs sorting out. Add in the utterly pointless WTD rules and that would be the turd on top of the whole sorry affair.

Actually the regulations can be as simple or as complicated as you choose to make them, the only reason the OPs weekly rest periods have become more complicated is because he seems to have mistakenly thought it was always OK to have reduced weekly rest periods on two consecutive weekends.
In fact I’d say that most of the questions on this board regarding the regulations get asked either because the driver is new or because a driver is doing something he/she isn’t used to doing, such as in this thread.

Its the latter in this case tachograph, thanks for your help and to all the other contributors

tachograph:

I wasn’t trying to help…

You’ve done an extremely good job of explaining what needs to be done to keep the lad straight with his hours.

I was trying to show my anger and contempt for a system that I believe ■■■■■ the big one.

Every week there’s another question on drivers hours, weekly rest, WTD rules, daily rest, other duties, manual entries, can I wear blue socks on a Tuesday, as well as the ever faithful ‘can I get away with only 7 minutes off in a 15 hour shift?’ question.

That say’s to me that the present rules are difficult to understand.