Reduced Weekly Rest Period

Hi All

This may seem a stupid question from someone who has been driving for nearly 2 years now but I’d rather check and make sure its right. The first 18 months I was in permanent employment working Monday-Friday so Saturday and Sunday were always my 45+ weekly rest periods. The last 6 months Ive been doing agency work and in the lead up to christmas I was working 6 on 3 off so my 45+ rest was always covered. However now its gone a bit quieter as it invariable does at this time of year my working days have been a bit muddled up and so ive come across a situation I never really had to think about hence the stupid question as its never something that I had to consider.

Wednesday 8th: finished at 19.50
Thursday 9th: Weekly Rest
Friday 10th: Weekly Rest
Saturday 11th: 03.00-17.30
Sunday 12th: 03.15-14.00
Monday 13th: 12.00-22.30
Tuesday 14th: off
Wednesday 15th: 12.00-22.30
Thursday 16th: off

Obviously my working week started again at 3am on the Saturday when I went back but am I right in thinking that by not working on Tuesday that resets my working week again, albeit as a reduced weekly rest period or is that wrong and its 6 duties from the Saturday. Whats confused me is the fact Ive worked 3 days after a weekly rest period then was off again. I should add I am aware of the compensation rules about making any reduction by the end of the 3rd week. Ive always made a point of reading up on the rules and staying legal however there is no case by case scenario which is why im asking the question? Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

Tom

tmcassett:
am I right in thinking that by not working on Tuesday that resets my working week again, albeit as a reduced weekly rest period

Yes that’s right, a weekly rest period or a reduced weekly rest period always allows you to start a new set of six 24 hour periods.

So even if you have Thursday and Friday off, a day off Tuesday resets the six 24 hour periods and allows you to work until Monday before needing to have another weekly rest period.

Thanks for that, I thought that was the case but then just suddenly thought because it was only 1 day and it was only 3 days after the last weekly rest period was it too soon in VOSA’s eyes to start a new week again.

Any rest period of 24 hours or more is a reduced weekly rest period even if you’ve only done one days work, any rest period of at-least 45 hours is a regular weekly rest period even if you’ve only done one days work.

tachograph:
Any rest period of 24 hours or more is a reduced weekly rest period even if you’ve only done one days work, any rest period of at-least 45 hours is a regular weekly rest period even if you’ve only done one days work.

If a period of 30 hours off was taken and 10 of those hours were used as payback then am I right in saying that although its a rest period of more than 24 hours it cannot be a reduced weekly rest ?

If a period of 30 hours off was taken and 10 of those hours were used as payback then am I right in saying that although its a rest period of more than 24 hours it cannot be a reduced weekly rest ?

Payback has to be attached, en bloc, to a weekly or daily rest. So what you say is correct as, taking off the 10 hours payback, you are only left with 20 hours which is no more than a daily rest period.

Pete :laughing: :laughing: