Reduced rest.

Can someone help me out as I’ve got it all arse backwards. If you don’t have fixed weekly rest periods & work a rolling rota, how does the 3 reductions work?

You can have three reduced daily rest periods between weekly rest periods.

For instance you could have reduced daily rest periods Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, have a reduced weekly rest period on Thursday then have three more reduced daily rest periods on Friday Saturday and Sunday.

It’s three reduced daily rest periods between two weekly rest periods regardless of what days the weekly rest period is on.

In 99.99% of cases a weekly rest is any period where the driver has taken off at least 24 hours in one go even if that is an extra weekly rest

Example -
Regular weekly rest on sat+sun
reduced daily rests on mon tue wed
reduced weekly rest (extra) on thu
reduced daily rest on fri sat
Regular weekly rest on sun+mon

Thank you both, I can see where the infringement came from now, it hit for me six because I wasn’t aware that if you go over 13 going into a rest day it still classes as a reduction until it was pointed out to me yesterday when talking to one of the other boys & he said to me that due to the way our shifts work our reductions are between Monday & Sunday. So it confused the holy hell out of me. :blush:

JamesJ:
it was pointed out to me yesterday when talking to one of the other boys & he said to me that due to the way our shifts work our reductions are between Monday & Sunday.

If by that he meant that reduced daily rest periods are counted Monday to Sunday he’s got it wrong.

Monday to Sunday is the fixed week but reduced daily rest periods are not counted by the fixed week they’re counted between weekly rest periods.

Article 8.4 (EC) 561/2006

1. A driver may have at most three reduced daily rest
    periods between any two weekly rest periods.

Anyway, your not the first person to get caught out by having a reduced daily rest period on the last working day of the week thinking it didn’t count, but as you now know only the rest period that falls within the 24 hour period from the start of the shift counts as daily rest regardless of which shift it is.

edit:
For clarity,

• Reduced daily rest periods are counted between weekly rest periods.
  • You can have three reduced daily rest periods between two weekly rest periods.

[/*:m]

• Extended driving days (10 hour drives) are counted per fixed week Monday to Sunday.
  • You can extend the daily driving time to 10 hours twice per fixed week.
    [/*:m][/list:u]

I knew I was right, thank you very much! :smiley: