Reduced rest Q

Quick one for the hours boffins…

Say I start 6am monday, finish sometime after 7pm, then Monday night into Tuesday i have less than 11 hours off. Have I used up 1 reduced rest, or 2?

Ta :smiley:

If you were to finish after 7pm that would put you onto a reduced rest.Due to that an 11hr break would not fit into your 24 hour period.You would only be using 1 unless i have misread the post.

Chris1207:
Quick one for the hours boffins…

Say I start 6am monday, finish sometime after 7pm, then Monday night into Tuesday i have less than 11 hours off. Have I used up 1 reduced rest, or 2?

Ta :smiley:

If you start at 06:00 and finish after than 19:00 you’ve had a reduced daily rest period, it doesn’t matter how many hours rest you have it’s only 1 reduced daily rest period.

Thanks, thought that but had it in the back of my mind that I was maybe using 2 because a) i’m over 13 hours, so unable to get an 11 off within the 24 hours… but then b) using another because im taking less than 11 hours off if starting at 6am again.

Cheers.

How is it that experienced drivers are forced to do the poxy dcpc, yet no less than 4 questions this week alone show that new starters aren’t being told the most simplest of stuff :open_mouth: :unamused:

Another sad fact, is that it shows people are drifting into the industry with no prior knowledge or passion for it. I started in the industry fresh out of school, starting as a loader, then a mate before getting out on a van at 18. I knew the hours regs inside out and backwards before I got my provisional. We’ve already had a thread this week where at three grand in a lad wants to chuck in the towel. Maybe that’s why ads now ask for no dreamers to apply :open_mouth:

OVLOV JAY:
How is it that experienced drivers are forced to do the poxy dcpc, yet no less than 4 questions this week alone show that new starters aren’t being told the most simplest of stuff :open_mouth: :unamused: :open_mouth:

Because they are barely tested on the regs, and even then it is they very basics, the most perfunctory questions you could imagine.

The whole MOD 1,2,3,4 test needs overhauling.

F-reds:

OVLOV JAY:
How is it that experienced drivers are forced to do the poxy dcpc, yet no less than 4 questions this week alone show that new starters aren’t being told the most simplest of stuff :open_mouth: :unamused: :open_mouth:

Because they are barely tested on the regs, and even then it is they very basics, the most perfunctory questions you could imagine.

The whole MOD 1,2,3,4 test needs overhauling.

And old ■■■■■ can’t just avoid it all with the Periodical! :wink:

As for OVLOV JAY’s point, I do think there’s a certain amount of laziness at play…
i.e. It’s easier to ask than look and work it out yourself!
(General reference/observation, not specifically about the OP)

Although I think a bit of personal research wouldn’t go amiss, I also think the cost of doing all the CPC hours in one go as a new driver and the general attitude (from certain companies that provide the modules) is that the ‘lesson’s’ come across as just an exercise in you being there to get the hours in rather than people learning much from it in a real world manner.

OVLOV JAY:
How is it that experienced drivers are forced to do the poxy dcpc, yet no less than 4 questions this week alone show that new starters aren’t being told the most simplest of stuff :open_mouth: :unamused:

My lad knows the regs, still waiting to get his first job.

I can see the confusion

For simplicity I often say …
shift over 13 hours = reduced
rest under 11 hours = reduced

When its read like that it could easily seem that doing both means two reduced

Conor:

OVLOV JAY:

My lad knows the regs, still waiting to get his first job.

Good for him. He’ll be one of a very few who do…

OVLOV JAY:

Another sad fact, is that it shows people are drifting into the industry with no prior knowledge or passion for it. I started in the industry fresh out of school, starting as a loader, then a mate before getting out on a van at 18. I knew the hours regs inside out and backwards before I got my provisional. We’ve already had a thread this week where at three grand in a lad wants to chuck in the towel. Maybe that’s why ads now ask for no dreamers to apply :open_mouth:

Well said and totally agree with all the above.

However to be fair like I’ve said on another thread the haulage industry is one hell of a way for a lot of people to make money from.

The whole DCPC is just one big cash cow and it shows with the number of new drivers coming into the industry asking the most basic of questions. Even after passing all their DCPC and practical tests they are then driving, in some cases for 6 months or a year and offering advise to other newbies that’s totally wrong.

Then there is the actual driver training for C or CE that seems to be sold by driver trainers in some cases for 4 or 5 days.
Trucks have never been easier to drive than now. They practically drive themselves. I actually find driving a truck now quite boring. Get in select drive, as most trucks are now autos, press the accelerator and just turn the bloody wheel.
I personally did 1 full days training, 3 hrs the following day and test at 1 o’clock . All done. This was over 20 years ago in an old manual where the gears were a b######d to get! :smiley:

However as some have mentioned already it’s also laziness on the drivers part that instead of learning the regs themselves they find it easier to come on this site and ask.
Various answers are given and some are correct but some are totally wrong.
What’s more concerning is that the answers that are totally wrong are being given by drivers who are driving day in day out and are obviously following them themselves!

I know a lot of people in the industry some of which own a fleet of trucks, some are TMs responsible for recruiting drivers and this subject often comes up about the lack of knowledge for the industry by some, not all, new drivers!

However like I said it’s not necessarily their fault it’s the way the training is.

As long as people are making a lot of money out of it though I doubt it will get any better any time soon.

By the way that’s probably a good bit of advise for a newbie going for an interview. Show you’ve actually got some knowledge of the industry.

To simply turn up with your nice new shiny licence and DCPC card might be good enough for some hauliers out there but the ones I talk to won’t be impressed just because you have them!

Coolrider:
Even after passing all their DCPC and practical tests they are then driving, in some cases for 6 months or a year and offering advise to other newbies that’s totally wrong.

Why? It could be argued that their knowledge is fresh, current and untainted. They know exactly what it it’s like for the Newbie, as they weren’t that long ago in their shoes. Also giving or trying to give advice in a forum like this helps them test and reinforce their knowledge, coupled with a built in safety net of the forum experts! That is where the really experienced drivers really come in, to help the Newbies and not so experienced drivers… I think it would be wrong to suggest to less experienced drivers to not try and give advice, as you learn a lot better when you get it wrong! :laughing: Then there is the potential problem with some experienced drivers, who think they are the Bee’s knee’s due to their vast experience, which has sadly manifested into ignorance and arrogance.

Coolrider:
Then there is the actual driver training for C or CE that seems to be sold by driver trainers in some cases for 4 or 5 days.
Trucks have never been easier to drive than now. They practically drive themselves. I actually find driving a truck now quite boring. Get in select drive, as most trucks are now autos, press the accelerator and just turn the bloody wheel.
I personally did 1 full days training, 3 hrs the following day and test at 1 o’clock . All done. This was over 20 years ago in an old manual where the gears were a b######d to get! :smiley:

Well I’ve actually had more training than you then, and apparently (and quite rightly) in an easier truck.
So it could be argued that your training was deficient, or mine excessive…

Coolrider:
However as some have mentioned already it’s also laziness on the drivers part that instead of learning the regs themselves they find it easier to come on this site and ask.
What’s more concerning is that the answers that are totally wrong are being given by drivers who are driving day in day out and are obviously following them themselves!

There you go then, experienced drivers that have become complacent due to arrogance derived from their experience.

Coolrider:
I know a lot of people in the industry some of which own a fleet of trucks, some are TMs responsible for recruiting drivers and this subject often comes up about the lack of knowledge for the industry by some, not all, new drivers!

There will always be Muppets, new and old.

Coolrider:
However like I said it’s not necessarily their fault it’s the way the training is.

Only if you remove personal initiative from the equation.

Coolrider:
By the way that’s probably a good bit of advise for a newbie going for an interview. Show you’ve actually got some knowledge of the industry.

To simply turn up with your nice new shiny licence and DCPC card might be good enough for some hauliers out there but the ones I talk to won’t be impressed just because you have them!

Agreed! :smiley:

Evil8Beezle:

Coolrider:
Even after passing all their DCPC and practical tests they are then driving, in some cases for 6 months or a year and offering advise to other newbies that’s totally wrong.

Why? It could be argued that their knowledge is fresh, current and untainted. They know exactly what it it’s like for the Newbie, as they weren’t that long ago in their shoes. Also giving or trying to give advice in a forum like this helps them test and reinforce their knowledge, coupled with a built in safety net of the forum experts! That is where the really experienced drivers really come in, to help the Newbies and not so experienced drivers… I think it would be wrong to suggest to less experienced drivers to not try and give advice, as you learn a lot better when you get it wrong! :laughing: Then there is the potential problem with some experienced drivers, who think they are the Bee’s knee’s due to their vast experience, which has sadly manifested into ignorance and arrogance.

Coolrider:

Well I’ve actually had more training than you then, and apparently (and quite rightly) in an easier truck.
So it could be argued that your training was deficient, or mine excessive…

Coolrider:

There you go then, experienced drivers that have become complacent due to arrogance derived from their experience.

Coolrider:

There will always be Muppets, new and old.

Coolrider:

Only if you remove personal initiative from the equation.

Coolrider:

Agreed! :smiley:

God you talk some c##p you do!

Coolrider:
God you talk some c##p you do!

Glad to be of service! :smiley:

P.S. You can say crap on here, but with your experience I’m sure you knew that! :wink: