Reduced Daily Rest

Can my employer force me to take a reduced daly rest. I recently worked a 12.5 night shift and ended work at 1230 hrs then was told in the office I was to start at 2130 and a 400 mile trip 6 drops. Informed them of 1.5 hours travelling to/from work within 9 hrs without meals etc. Surely this is not safe!!

pushedtothelimit:
Can my employer force me to take a reduced daly rest. I recently worked a 12.5 night shift and ended work at 1230 hrs then was told in the office I was to start at 2130 and a 400 mile trip 6 drops. Informed them of 1.5 hours travelling to/from work within 9 hrs without meals etc. Surely this is not safe!!

No its up to you if you don’t feel safe don’t do it.
I think many moons ago if you were at base it was an 11 and only a 9 if out on the road.

A driver may reduce his daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours

not the bod in the office A Driver and that’s You

gov.uk/government/uploads/s … europe.pdf

page 20

Thanks that’s perfect. Its the usual bully boy office tactics again. Will print out and quote next time :smiley:

From the actual regs and not the VOSA guide as stated before …

Article 8
1. A driver shall take daily and weekly rest periods.
2. Within each period of 24 hours after the end of the previous daily rest period or weekly rest period a driver shall have taken a new daily rest period.
If the portion of the daily rest period which falls within that 24 hour period is at least nine hours but less than 11 hours, then the daily rest period in question shall be regarded as a reduced daily rest period.

No mention that the driver has the final say

It is ALWAYS the decision of the DRIVER where SAFETY is concerned so if the driver says they need more rest to drive safe then the company cannot over-ride that without getting themselves into really hot legal waters

This sort of thing should always be discussed and agreed to at the initial job interview to save any future issues

pushedtothelimit:

He can’t force you but it’s not his problem you live so far away is it, if you keep saying no then he might think about replacing you so you need to play ball sometimes.