Reduced Daily Rest

I have tried to find an answer to this on here, and I am sure I saw one once before (which is where I got this idea from in the first place) but now can’t find it again.

I am convinced I did the below legally but a mate has told me I am wrong;

WEEKLY REST (it was a 45 ending 05:00 Monday)
Monday 15 hour duty time with 9 hour reduced rest
Tuesday 15 hour duty time with 9 hour reduced daily rest
Wednesday 15 hour duty time finishing 20:00 with 9 hour reduced daily rest
I then had Thursday off and returned to work Friday 09:00 so my rest period was around 37 hours■■?
I then completed a 15 hour duty time and 9 hour reduced rest Friday, Saturday and Sunday

My driving time on each shift was very little really. About 4 or 5 hours each shift. I spent ages and ages each shift sitting doing sod all and recorded break for most of it so my working hours are also very little so no worries about driving time or working time.

I then went on to work a further 2 shift with about 14 hours daily rest between followed by a week off.

What I am interested in is the fact I reduced three in a row followed by what I consider to be a weekly rest followed by three more reductions in a row.

So … what do the collective think?

Perfectly legal

A weekly rest of at least 24 hours resets the reduced daily rest allowance

The rule is that a maximum of 3 reduced daily rests can be done between weekly rests
Many think that means per week but week refers to the fixed week between one sunday midnight and the next

There are some rules for the week and there are rules for between weekly rests

I also believe this to be legal.

I actually demonstrate this during DCPC courses. I suppose using this would be a rareity, depends where you work I suppose.

However - a trainer friend of mine has been told by the RHA that this isn’t legal but he failed to give me the reason why, he just said they didn’t like it and advised him not to show it to DCPC delegates. :unamused:

ex_reme_mech:
My driving time on each shift was very little really. About 4 or 5 hours each shift. I spent ages and ages each shift sitting doing sod all and recorded break for most of it so my working hours are also very little so no worries about driving time or working time.

So … what do the collective think?

If any of these periods of break were in a single, uninterrupted, block of at least 3 hours then you had a split daily rest which wouldn’t be a reducer.

Yes legal :sunglasses: but remember your previous weeks shifts must have been thirteens, and after your Sunday also thirteens! :laughing: once you’ve had a 24 reducer, go for six times 24 hrs = 144 hrs so In theory start Monday 0700 make sure you finish 0700 hrs following Monday! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Fatboy slimslow:
Yes legal :sunglasses: but remember your previous weeks shifts must have been thirteens, and after your Sunday also thirteens! :laughing: once you’ve had a 24 reducer, go for six times 24 hrs = 144 hrs so In theory start Monday 0700 make sure you finish 0700 hrs following Monday! :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing: :grimacing:

Think you meant finish 0700 sunday

Previous shifts may not have to be 13s - it all depends on when weekly rests are taken

illegal
as i read it 6 reduced breaks
3 x 15 shifts
3 x 9 reductions

hitch:
illegal
as i read it 6 reduced breaks
3 x 15 shifts
3 x 9 reductions

In between those 6 shifts on the Thursday was a 24 hr rest which resets the clock.