Reduced daily rest

Gents, i have ,in the last week been forced to take a reduced daily rest. Nothing unusual bout that but the question i have is this, as we are day shift drivers,returning to base each night, are we suppose to be taking the full 11 hours? One of our other drivers is adamant that as we are not trampers we can therefore take 11 hours without being penalised by management (to be fair he is a bit of a barstool expert). Whilst i am aware that taking a reduced rest is at my discretion and the requrements of the business have to be taken into consideration i can find no legislation that can clarify the situation. Your comments would be welcome. Many thanx DT.

your mate is talking out of his crack

DT@Leightonhaul:
Gents, i have ,in the last week been forced to take a reduced daily rest. Nothing unusual bout that but the question i have is this, as we are day shift drivers,returning to base each night, are we suppose to be taking the full 11 hours? One of our other drivers is adamant that as we are not trampers we can therefore take 11 hours without being penalised by management (to be fair he is a bit of a barstool expert). Whilst i am aware that taking a reduced rest is at my discretion and the requrements of the business have to be taken into consideration i can find no legislation that can clarify the situation. Your comments would be welcome. Many thanx DT.

There’s no regulation that stipulates that as day workers you should be treated any differently to trampers regarding reduced daily rest periods.

Common sense however suggests that you need to be rested before starting the next shift.

The management can plan reduced daily rests for you and you as drivers can refuse to do them on safety grounds, however if you refuse too often there could be consequences to be considered :wink:

globby 480:
your mate is talking out of his crack

Yeah that’s what I was trying to say :blush: :laughing:

DT@Leightonhaul:

Your boss can legally schedule you a 9 hour break, but under elf and safety they have a duty of care to you, that you can request and have an 11 hour break, tiredness etc.

Hope this helps

DT@Leightonhaul:

You can take 11 or 9 hours rest wherever & whenever you like,

You wont find what you are looking for written in any legislation because there isn’t any…

There really ought to be something in the regs that makes it crystal clear that the driver has the final say on reducing daily rest but there is not so the never ending ‘battle’ between planners and drivers will continue on …

There are many drivers who prefer to take reduced daily rests whether at home or away so I do not condone any change which bans doing it

Gents,once again many thanks for your wisdom & input. :smiley: :smiley:

Even though 2 “reduced rests” on the spin is legal, I’m going to still kick up a fuss over the safety aspect of having only 9 hours between shifts when it’s taking you 90 mins each way on the commute, leaving you 6 hours to get a meal in, head down, get up, ■■■■, shaved, showered, & shampooed, then back to work.

There was a time I didn’t know better to kick up this fuss:-
I only tried “double reduced” that once with a firm trying to run monday-friday 15 hour shifts with said 90 min commute for me to get there. I got to wednesday morning on the way home, and gave away the rest of the week - hallucinating in my own car driving home. If I’d carried on with the rest of the week, it pretty much looked like I was going to be expected to reduce more than the legal 3 times in one week. Fold! :frowning:

Winseer:
… If I’d carried on with the rest of the week, it pretty much looked like I was going to be expected to reduce more than the legal 3 times in one week. Fold! :frowning:

3 times between weekly rest periods, not 3 times in one week. Depending on shift pattern it is possible and legal to do 6 reduced daily rest periods in one week.

that idiot should be sacked to make way for a proper driver.
just tell him to rest when he’s tired. he must work when he isn’t tired. it’s all part of the 2012 IZAN agreement to beat the global ecconomic downturn in trade.
he can take it up with the boss if he wants.

Here are the rules as of 2011. GV 262 - 03. Pg 20.

Rest periods
Daily rest periods
A driver must take a daily rest period within each period of 24 hours after the end of the previous daily
or weekly rest period. An 11-hour (or more) daily rest is called a regular daily rest period.
A rest is an uninterrupted period where a driver may freely dispose of his time. Time spent working
in other employment or under obligation or instruction, regardless of the occupation type, cannot be
counted as rest, including work where you are self-employed.
Alternatively, a driver can split a regular daily rest period into two periods. The first period must be at
least 3 hours of uninterrupted rest and can be taken at any time during the day. The second must be
at least 9 hours of uninterrupted rest, giving a total minimum rest of 12 hours.

A driver may reduce his daily rest period to no less than 9 continuous hours, but this can be done no more than three times between any two weekly rest periods; no compensation for the reduction is required. A daily rest that is less than 11 hours but at least 9 hours long is called a reduced daily
rest period.

When a daily rest is taken, this may be taken in a vehicle, as long as it has suitable sleeping facilities
and is stationary.

To summarise, a driver who begins work at 06.00 on day 1 must, by 06.00 on day 2 at the latest,
have completed either:
a regular daily rest period of at least 11 hours; or
a split regular daily rest period of at least 12 hours; or
if entitled, a reduced daily rest period of at least 9 hours.
Regular daily rest: A continuous period of at least 11 hours’ rest.
Split daily rest period: A regular rest taken in two separate periods — the first at least 3 hours, and the second at least 9 hours.
Reduced daily rest period: A continuous rest period of at least 9 hours but less than 11 hours.

DT@Leightonhaul:
‘…I have ,in the last week been forced to take a reduced daily rest…’

I had this as a day (pm) driver during the Christmas frenzy, and whilst being both a wuss & fully aware of what ‘the law’ allows the employer to do (blah) I asked the planning manager what the term ‘…reduced rest…’ referred to in spirit as well as in law.

He was non-plussed - so I suggested that it meant reduced quality rest, and politely suggested to him that my delicate metabolism, to include sleeping, restoration, bathing & toileting needs, etc require a full-quality rest in order to maintain my guaranteed safety behind the wheel, etc.

I’ve no doubt that this’ll enrage ‘proper’ drivers (and others pushing themselves to a premature death?) and am braced to take all the potential barrage of offence taken by them by not caring very much :wink:

Also, such folk might like to reflect that my delicacy allows them to better thrive in their baggy-eyed & real man’s utopia :smiley:

Coffeeholic:

Winseer:
… If I’d carried on with the rest of the week, it pretty much looked like I was going to be expected to reduce more than the legal 3 times in one week. Fold! :frowning:

3 times between weekly rest periods, not 3 times in one week. Depending on shift pattern it is possible and legal to do 6 reduced daily rest periods in one week.

Are we talking split shifts here?

Since the longest one can work is 6 days (but 7 shifts!) before a weekly rest, I don’t see how one can reduce 3 times in 6 days or 3 times in a week and it doesn’t come out as pretty much the same thing?! :confused:

Are you telling me that:-

Monday 14:00-23:00
Tuesday 08:00-17:00
Wednesday 02:00-11:00
Wednesday 20:00-05:00
Thursday 14:00-23:00
Friday 08:00-17:00
Saturday 02:00-08:00
Weekly Rest
Saturday 11:00-Monday 14:00=54 hours
Weekly Total: 60 hours, with 12 hours per week made up of breaks & POA=48 hours average.
I don’t think you’d be expected to work THIS shift pattern on guard duty in Afghanistan - please tell me I’m right!
If THIS shift pattern is perfectly legal, then let me know the names of the firms operating thus so I can give them a wide berth! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

Winseer:

Coffeeholic:

Winseer:

Since the longest one can work is 6 days (but 7 shifts!) before a weekly rest, I don’t see how one can reduce 3 times in 6 days or 3 times in a week and it doesn’t come out as pretty much the same thing?! :confused:

Are you telling me that:-

Weekly Rest
Saturday 11:00-Monday 14:00=54 hours
Weekly Total: 60 hours, with 12 hours per week made up of breaks & POA=48 hours average.
I don’t think you’d be expected to work THIS shift pattern on guard duty in Afghanistan - please tell me I’m right!
If THIS shift pattern is perfectly legal, then let me know the names of the firms operating thus so I can give them a wide berth! :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

3 times between weekly rest, so if your weekly rest is 24 hrs on Thursday then that week you can reduce 6 times legally.

Winseer:
Weekly Rest

Am I wrong or is that 6 reduced daily rests in a row and therefore illegal ?

Weekly rest is the same regardless of it being weekend or midweek. In any case, reducing to 24hours is only possible every other week. I’m talking the same shifts week in week out.

If your working week is thursday-tuesday, then sure, you can still only reduce 3 times thursday-tuesday, but could indeed reduce sun,mon,tues then thur,fri,sat all in the same “office” week. You are in trouble though in week 2 if having already spent all 3 days by saturday I should think! :confused:

ROG:

Winseer:
Weekly Rest

Am I wrong or is that 6 reduced daily rests in a row and therefore illegal ?

I think that one is going to be the 24 weekly rest - just to make it legal for the week in question.

Winseer:

Coffeeholic:

Winseer:

No.

Start work Monday after weekly rest.
Reduce Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
Weekly Rest
Reduce Friday Saturday Sunday, no more reduced rest periods until after next weekly rest.

Six reduced rests in one week and legal. Those don’t have to be 15 hour days with 9 hour rests, they could be days of just over 13 hours and between 10 and 11 hour rest periods and it could be very useful for a tramper or someone on European work when places on the mainland have midweek public holidays with driving bans. It could be the difference between getting home or stuck away for a weekly rest.

Winseer:
Even though 2 “reduced rests” on the spin is legal, I’m going to still kick up a fuss over the safety aspect of having only 9 hours between shifts when it’s taking you 90 mins each way on the commute, leaving you 6 hours to get a meal in, head down, get up, [zb], shaved, showered, & shampooed, then back to work.

There was a time I didn’t know better to kick up this fuss:-
I only tried “double reduced” that once with a firm trying to run monday-friday 15 hour shifts with said 90 min commute for me to get there. I got to wednesday morning on the way home, and gave away the rest of the week - hallucinating in my own car driving home. If I’d carried on with the rest of the week, it pretty much looked like I was going to be expected to reduce more than the legal 3 times in one week. Fold! :frowning:

Whos fault is that?? you commute 90mins each way!! most def not the company you are working for. when you basically leave your company and travel home etc thats your problem not the companys so STOP MOANING…you took the job you was offered Drivers or today i have poooded em, As limey says make way for proper drivers who want work

Coffeeholic:

Winseer:

Coffeeholic:

Winseer:

No.

Start work Monday after weekly rest.
Reduce Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
Weekly Rest
Reduce Friday Saturday Sunday, no more reduced rest periods until after next weekly rest.

Six reduced rests in one week and legal. Those don’t have to be 15 hour days with 9 hour rests, they could be days of just over 13 hours and between 10 and 11 hour rest periods and it could be very useful for a tramper or someone on European work when places on the mainland have midweek public holidays with driving bans. It could be the difference between getting home or stuck away for a weekly rest.

This is one of the problems with everyone who wants to regiment the drivers rules even more, they don’t realise how flexible they are & not just for for the lads on the continent. :wink: