reduced daily rest

Is having a reduced daily rest purely at the drivers discression■■? IE our start time is 6am if we do a near 15 hour shift we are then expected to start again at 6am the following day,can my employer expect this or not■■?

yes then can expect it
by doing more than 13 hours you have had a reduced break
if you have done 14 hours and say finished at 2100
i think its unreasonable to expect someone back in at 0600

they cant gurantee you will finish after 8 hours so having
11 at home is only right and proper

having said its christmas and the avarice of the masses
has to be satisfied by your sacrifice to mammon

ps if you’ve gone home in the truck its ok to have a 9 off

In a word yes they can by doing a 15 he day you put your self automatically on a 9 hr breack

Hitch it’s not unreasonable to expect a driver to reduce there rest to 9 hrs if your having problems doing this get out of the industry and find an office job sorry if it sounds harsh but it’s what you sign upto when you become a driver

Ive just finished a 6 day stretch, 3 nights out, each daily rest was 9 hours, thats what the company asks and I prefer it because the sooner I get going the sooner I finish :slight_smile:

I always want a reduced rest when I am away, and an extended one when I am home.

I think its unreasonable to expect a driver to reduce there rest to 9 hrs if he has a hour drive each way etc, by time he gets home showers summat to eat etc you end up working all day, 2 hrs commute and 6hrs sleep. Thats not a life for me.

In our firm the company can request you reduce, but its up to the driver if he does.

Alix get a grip why should i have 9 off at home
9s are for nights out

chester:
I think its unreasonable to expect a driver to reduce there rest to 9 hrs if he has a hour drive each way etc, by time he gets home showers summat to eat etc you end up working all day, 2 hrs commute and 6hrs sleep.

Not just unreasonable but it aint safe either, why is H&S only applied to us on the negative side,I mean what connection is there with driving 44tonnes in public after 5to 6 hours kip and H&S■■? just cos it,s legal don,t make it safe, and the guy who says “get out of the industry” or whatever :unamused: :unamused: it,s that sort of attitude and blind acceptance of any old s*** they dish out to us that has made the job evolve into what it has become today.

if they demand 9 off
simples
pull down the road to the first safe (hidden ) place to park . do a bunk operation test and look at the iside of your eyelids for an hour or two .
when your pulled in for the ‘disscusion’ on why you pulled up inform them you where tired due to your enforced reduced rest ( now comes the good bit ) if they want to take action ask them to put it in writing that your to drive the truck while tired and they take Full responability

or just go in two hours late and say you overslept

Alcpone:
Ive just finished a 6 day stretch, 3 nights out, each daily rest was 9 hours, thats what the company asks and I prefer it because the sooner I get going the sooner I finish :slight_smile:

is this legal :confused:

happysack:

Alcpone:

is this legal :confused:

Absolutely not :unamused:

I would imagine he’s referring to his 3 nights out when he’s talking 9’s

robroy:

chester:
I think its unreasonable to expect a driver to reduce there rest to 9 hrs if he has a hour drive each way etc, by time he gets home showers summat to eat etc you end up working all day, 2 hrs commute and 6hrs sleep.

Not just unreasonable but it aint safe either, why is H&S only applied to us on the negative side,I mean what connection is there with driving 44tonnes in public after 5to 6 hours kip and H&S■■? just cos it,s legal don,t make it safe, and the guy who says “get out of the industry” or whatever :unamused: :unamused: it,s that sort of attitude and blind acceptance of any old s*** they dish out to us that has made the job evolve into what it has become today.

Well said. The fact that it’s legal to work a 15 hour day then jump back in your truck after 9 hours is bad enough. The fact that firms actually expect this of drivers on a regular basis is even worse. And like you said, blind acceptance of it has made it that way.

Alcpone:

Presumably you mean you had reduced daily rest periods on the 3 days you were on night outs ?

I think that’s what you meant but If your employer did ask you to have 9 hour daily rests on all 6 days and you agreed then both you and your employer can expect some quite expensive fixed penalties and possibly worse if you get stopped and your records are checked.

I should of explained better, I had 9 hours on my nights out, 11+ on the other days :slight_smile:

businesslink.gov.uk/Transpor … hicles.pdf

This will explain all

Terry T:
Well said. The fact that it’s legal to work a 15 hour day then jump back in your truck after 9 hours is bad enough. The fact that firms actually expect this of drivers on a regular basis is even worse. And like you said, blind acceptance of it has made it that way.

What is the alternative? the day is made up of 24 hours so 15 hours only leaves you 9 hours anyway.

I only require about 6 hours sleep, as many people do so if I have to wait around another 5 hours to start work I am trying to kill time. That reduced rest is the difference between someone getting home on a Friday or a Saturday