Reduced daily rest

If i work for example 3 15 hours days in a row with 11 hours rest between each day can i take a 9 hour rest after doing 13 hours the next day because if haven’t used any 9 hour rests. Have been told by another driver that if i do a 15 hour day and take 11 hours rest it counts as using one of your 9 hour rests. I think i know what he means, the 15 hour day and the 9 hour rest has to be used together in the same 24 hour period. Is this true and is my understanding correct? Thanks.

Only way you can do that is if Parliament passes a bill to change days from 24 hours to 26 hours!

The clock starts when your shift starts so if you have done a 15 hour shift you have only 9 hours, of the days 24, in which to complete your daily rest. The fact your start time for the following day is later makes no difference as you need to complete your shift & daily rest within 24 hours.

Basically a 15hour shift equals a reduced rest no matter how many hours you have off before next shift :wink:

If the daily rest is 10h59m and below, it is a reduced rest. So anything over 13 hours is a 15, essentially.

When you start a shift a 24 hour countdown timer effectively begins.

When the timer in theory goes off or before you must have finished the shift and had either at least 11 hours off on rest, or 3 times between weekly rest periods you can reduce it from 11 to 9 hours.

So as soon as you do 13:01 duty, you can no longer fit 11 hours of rest in before the 24 hours are up, so you will use 1 reduced rest, even if you have more than 11 hours off. It’s the reduced rest that allows you to do a 15 hour duty

You also have split rests, 3 hours on rest in 1 block during the shift at some point, then 9 off all within the 24 hour period again

Multi Manning, when there are 2 drivers present, although that is optional for the 1st hour and it doesn’t have to be the same driver throughout the shift. Then you use a 30 hour period instead of the 24, but it all works the same.

If you perform a 15 hour shift, there are then only 9 hours left in that rolling 24 hour period.
This reduced rest is taking anything between 9hr00mins to 10hr59mins. It is not a FULL daily rest until you reach, and exceed 11 hours daily rest.

Since you can only reduce three times per week, you might fall foul of one’s interpretation of the rules by performing say, 13hrs Monday, 13hrs10m Tuesday, 13hrs 15min Wednesday, 15hrs Thursday - and then trigger an infringement when you attempt to do 12hr30min on Friday, but you get stuck in traffic and it ends up being 13hrs 20mins…

“But…But - I only did 15 hours ONCE there!!”

A shift of 13hr1min counts the same as a 15 hour, essentially… It is because 13hr1min means there are now only 10hrs59mins left that rolling 24 hour period, which automatically becomes a reduced rest at that point… Even if you clock out at 13hr2mins into your shift!

There are plenty of agencies and clients of agencies - that won’t let you perform a shift there unless you still have at least one reduced rest in hand for that week. Why risk it? Traffic jams and other types of delays - happen to the best of us, good planning or no…

How about a change of mindset. Rather than thinking how much you can do, think about when you MuST stop. If we start at 0600, then we MUST stop before 21.00, preferably before 19.00. Even then only do that twice a week.
It’s optional how long you work but statutory how must rest you must have.

Acorn:
How about a change of mindset. Rather than thinking how much you can do, think about when you MuST stop. If we start at 0600, then we MUST stop before 21.00, preferably before 19.00. Even then only do that twice a week.

I like this way of thinking

Acorn:

Where did you get twice a week from :question:

The rule is max 3 times between any 2 weekly rest periods

ROG:

Acorn:

My mind thinking other things. Yes I agree, it is THREE times in the week.

Acorn:

ROG:

Acorn:

My mind thinking other things. Yes I agree, it is THREE times in the week.

Between weekly rests

A week is a fixed period from sunday midnight to sunday midnight

Between weekly rests could be from the middle of one week to the middle of the next week

Winseer:
If you perform a 15 hour shift, there are then only 9 hours left in that rolling 24 hour period.
This reduced rest is taking anything between 9hr00mins to 10hr59mins. It is not a FULL daily rest until you reach, and exceed 11 hours daily rest.

It’s not a ROLLING 24hr period.

It is fixed from the time you pop your card in, clock on, within that fixed period you must take your daily rest, driving breaks, vehicle checks and debriefs. As mentioned elsewhere, even one minute over and you are using a reduced rest period, even if you sleep for 13 hours.

We used to talk about spreadovers, that was a simple way to describe it, start at 4am, in the pub by 7pm

if you start at 06:00 then you must have had either a daily rest of 9hrs / 11hrs that is completed within 24hrs of when you started (ie: daily rest period completed within 24hr of when you started).

If you start at 06:00 and finish at 19:00 then you’ll have had 11hrs off if you start at 06:00 the next morning (24hrs from the start of your previous shift).

If you start at 06:00 and finish at 21:00 then you’ll have had 9hrs off if you start at 06:00 the next morning (24hrs from the start of your previous shift).

If you start at 06:00 and finish at 19:01 then you’ll have had 10hrs 59minutes off but it’s counted as a 9hr rest (reduced) as you haven’t had the full 11hrs rest (24hrs from the start of your previous shift)…

You can only do 3 x reduced rests a week.

You can work this to your favour on a day cab when you getting work rammed up you, just do 13hr 01m for the first 3 shifts then transport can only work you 13hrs shifts the rest of the week :wink:

bbez:
You can only do 3 x reduced rests a week.

3 between weekly rests not 3 a week

It is possible to do 6 reduced daily rests in a week
Example
Weekly rest sat + sun
Mon + Tue + Wed = reduced daily rests
Thu = reduced weekly rest
Fri + sat + Sun = reduced daily rests
Mon = reduced weekly rest

ROG:
[

Just to be clear, what comes after Sunday midnight? is it Sunday morning or Monday morning?
Thanks

stu675:

ROG:
[

Just to be clear, what comes after Sunday midnight? is it Sunday morning or Monday morning?
Thanks

Monday morning
Monday tends to follow Sunday :wink: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

ROG:

stu675:

ROG:
[

Thanks

Monday morning
Monday tends to follow Sunday :wink: :unamused: :laughing: :laughing:

If you’re going to be a ■■■■■ at least try not to be wrong!
" Though there is no global unanimity on the issue, most often midnight is considered the start of a new day and is associated with the hour 00:00. Even in locales with this technical resolution, however, vernacular references to midnight as the end of any given day may be common."
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midnight

Ryan99:
If i work for example 3 15 hours days in a row with 11 hours rest between each day can i take a 9 hour rest after doing 13 hours the next day because if haven’t used any 9 hour rests. Have been told by another driver that if i do a 15 hour day and take 11 hours rest it counts as using one of your 9 hour rests. I think i know what he means, the 15 hour day and the 9 hour rest has to be used together in the same 24 hour period. Is this true and is my understanding correct? Thanks.

The other driver is right. Typical legislation nonsense, longer days mean shorter rests. How anyone thought that was logical is totally beyond me.

Winseer:

Since you can only reduce three times per week, you might fall foul of one’s interpretation of the rules by performing say, 13hrs Monday, 13hrs10m Tuesday, 13hrs 15min Wednesday, 15hrs Thursday - and then trigger an infringement when you attempt to do 12hr30min on Friday, but you get stuck in traffic and it ends up being 13hrs 20mins…

“But…But - I only did 15 hours ONCE there!!”

A shift of 13hr1min counts the same as a 15 hour, essentially… It is because 13hr1min means there are now only 10hrs59mins left that rolling 24 hour period, which automatically becomes a reduced rest at that point… Even if you clock out at 13hr2mins into your shift!

There are plenty of agencies and clients of agencies - that won’t let you perform a shift there unless you still have at least one reduced rest in hand for that week. Why risk it? Traffic jams and other types of delays - happen to the best of us, good planning or no…

Just had a thought- were you responsible for writing the legislation? :smiley: ;D