Reduced daily rest period (9hrs)

I have just changed jobs and as usual it seems every company does things their own way with regards to driving hrs etc even though they shouldn’t be…can u answer this question bugging me…I was under the impression u could reduce your daily rest period to 9hrs from 11hrs 3 times in 2 week…My new employers say no u can reduce it 3 times in any given week without having to compensate…have had a look on the net and there is conflicting information…what is the LEGAL requirement 3 times over 2 weeks or 3 times in 1 week■■? Grateful for your help guys n girls :slight_smile:

Jacko

see and heres me thinking it was 3 times in 1 week and you do have to compensate

No its defo 3 times in a working week and doesnt need compensating for any more

You can have reduced daily rest periods of no less than 9 hours three times between two consecutive weekly rest periods and no compensation is required :wink:

Article 8.4 - (EC) 561/2006.

1. A driver may have at most three reduced daily rest
    periods between any two weekly rest periods.

bugcos:
No its defo 3 times in a working week and doesnt need compensating for any more

what he said.
however, you can actually do it every day if you take advantage of split rest. 3hours off, added to a 9 hour rest dosn’t count as a reduced rest, it will count as a full 11 hour rest.

ok fellas thanx for the replies as u can read everyone is doing it differently…dont think I will take advantage of the split daily rest…dont want to give my new employer any more scatty brain waves to keep the wheels a rolling along… I am more confused than ever now.I tend to agree with tachograph …man I am confused.com now :confused: :cry: :unamused: HELP!! lol

Scania380:
I am more confused than ever now.I tend to agree with tachograph …man I am confused.com now :confused: :cry: :unamused: HELP!! lol

Do you have a regular shift pattern?
If yes then it might be easier to give you an answer that is specific to your situation :bulb:

Scania380:
ok fellas thanx for the replies as u can read everyone is doing it differently…dont think I will take advantage of the split daily rest…dont want to give my new employer any more scatty brain waves to keep the wheels a rolling along… I am more confused than ever now.I tend to agree with tachograph …man I am confused.com now :confused: :cry: :unamused: HELP!! lol

Try forgeting about the week and think about the time between weekly rest periods, that’s the time that you’re allowed to have three reduced daily rest periods in.
I think some people here are actually saying the same thing but calling the time between weekly rest periods the working week.

If you have Saturday and Sunday off and work Monday to Friday (5 days) before starting a new weekly rest period on Saturday then you can have three reduced daily rest periods Monday to Friday.

If you have Tuesday and Wednesday off and work Thursday to Monday (5 days) before starting a new weekly rest period on Tuesday then you can have three reduced daily rest periods Thursday to Monday.

If you have Wednesday and Thursday off and work Friday to Wednesday (6 days) before starting a new weekly rest period on Thursday then you can have three reduced daily rest periods Friday to Wednesday even though you’ve worked six days.

As already said no compensation is required for reduced daily rest periods.

ROG:

Scania380:
I am more confused than ever now.I tend to agree with tachograph …man I am confused.com now :confused: :cry: :unamused: HELP!! lol

Do you have a regular shift pattern?
If yes then it might be easier to give you an answer that is specific to your situation :bulb:

:open_mouth: Oh dear ROG, I’ve read the question and the ‘situation’ seems to me that the OP is asking a couple of very straightforward questions about reduced daily rest.

Q1

Scania380:
can u answer this question bugging me…I was under the impression u could reduce your daily rest period to 9hrs from 11hrs 3 times in 2 week

That only needs a few words to get it sorted. :wink:
Sample answer: No mate, you can reduce you daily rest three times between weekly rest periods and possibly go on to mention that this doesn’t mean the same as three times per week.

Q2

Scania380:
My new employers say no u can reduce it 3 times in any given week without having to compensate…

Again, not many words needed.
Sample answer: Your employer is mistaken, apart from the part about not having to compensate.

Q3

Scania380:
have had a look on the net and there is conflicting information

Very few words are needed here.
Sample answer: That’s probably because folks either post rumours or over-complicate things unnecessarily.

Honestly ROG, can’t see what the regularity (or otherwise) of Scania380’s shifts has to do with the price of fish or answering the questions. :laughing: :wink: :grimacing:

And further to the information given by Tachograph. If you resume work on a Monday after a weekly rest, work the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, have a weekly rest on the Thursday then work Friday, Saturday and Sunday you could have 3 reduced rests on each day Monday to Wednesday and then another 3 each day Friday to Sunday. that is 6 reduced rest periods in one week, not a split rest period in sight and perfectly legal.

As has already been said no compensation is required for the reduced daily rest periods. Don’t worry about those who say you do need to compensate, the regulations on that only changed 3 years ago so barely enough time for people to register the change. :unamused: :wink: :stuck_out_tongue:

dieseldave:
Q2

Scania380:
My new employers say no u can reduce it 3 times in any given week without having to compensate…

Again, not many words needed.
Sample answer: Your employer is a trumpet, apart from the part about not having to compensate.

Fixed that for you mate. :stuck_out_tongue:

dieseldave:
Q3

Scania380:
have had a look on the net and there is conflicting information

Very few words are needed here.
Sample answer: That’s probably because folks either post rumours or over-complicate things unnecessarily.

Honestly ROG, can’t see what the regularity (or otherwise) of Scania380’s shifts has to do with the price of fish or answering the questions. :laughing: :wink: :grimacing:

neither can I but you know ROG, why give a short, simple answer when he can take it way of track by over complicating it. As you say the shift pattern has zero bearing on the answer to the question posed by the OP.