Reduced 24hr weekend break

Hi this may not be in the right forum - so feel free to move it
Right i have a driver who has done 72 hours on his 90 two week spreadover
he has arrived back at home base saturday at 1230 hrs -
he is leaving to go back to work sunday at 1300hrs -
he started on monday after having 50 hours off
is thia legal - he says it is
i say after 6 driving periods you need to have a complete day off and he can start midnight sunday
does anyone know who is right ?
cheers
Steve

gm:
Hi this may not be in the right forum - so feel free to move it
Right i have a driver who has done 72 hours on his 90 two week spreadover
he has arrived back at home base saturday at 1230 hrs -
he is leaving to go back to work sunday at 1300hrs -
he started on monday after having 50 hours off
is thia legal - he says it is
i say after 6 driving periods you need to have a complete day off and he can start midnight sunday
does anyone know who is right ?
cheers
Steve

He is right :wink:

he’s will have had 24 hrs ( and an extra 1/2 hour) by sunday at 13.00 hours, (he will need to remember to pay back the reduced rest ) and he took a full 45 hr rest last weekend .

What Denis said.

Nothing in the regulations to say you must have a complete calendar day off, just at least 24 hours. The only time your take would be correct is if he had reached his 90 hours driving for the fortnight, then he couldn’t resume work until a new week begins at 00:00 hours Monday, or 01:00 at this time of year if on a digi.

It is a popular misconception that you cannot work more than 6 consecutive calendar days when in actual fact it is possible to work on 21 consecutive days and be legal.

I agree with denis but coffee? how can you do 21 days? surely after your first reduced weekly rest your next needs to be a 45?
i.e. after 45 weekly rest work 144hrs until next weekly rest is needed then 24 hrs off then another 144hrs THEN 45hrs?
this would mean you can do 14 days consecutive?

welshboyinspain:
I agree with denis but coffee? how can you do 21 days? surely after your first reduced weekly rest your next needs to be a 45?

No it doesn’t. You can have more than one reduced rest in a row as long as you don’t have two consecutive weeks with only reduced rest periods.

Example

Week 1.

Start work after a full weekly rest period which is a full rest period for this week as you had a reduced in the middle of last week which was the rest for Week 0.
Work Monday to Saturday
24 hour weekly rest which serves only to prevent you working more than 6 days between rest periods
Work Sunday

Week 2.

Work Monday to Friday
24 hour weekly rest, weekly rest for week 2
Work Saturday and Sunday

Week 3.

Work Monday to Thursday
24 hour weekly rest which serves only to prevent you working more than 6 days between rest periods
Work Friday to Sunday
Begin full weekly rest of at least 45 hours before midnight, which will be the required full weekly rest for this week.

No two consecutive weeks with only reduced weekly rest periods and legally worked on 21 consecutive days, Monday Week 1 through to Sunday Week 3 inclusive.

ahh!! i understand that, sort of :smiley:

But Coffee, you’ve shown two consecutive weeks with only reduced rest ■■

Haven’t you ?

There’s a regular weekly rest at the start of week one and the end of week 3 :wink:

. . . and a weekly rest falling into 2 weeks . . . blablablah . . .

Yep. Get it.

dambuster:
But Coffee, you’ve shown two consecutive weeks with only reduced rest ■■

Haven’t you ?

No.

When I started work last night after a full weekly rest period I realised I was wrong about the 21 days thing, it is actually possible to work on more than 21 consecutive calendar days and remain legal. It is an unlikely scenario as the shift times have to fall into place but it is legally possible. I am currently on my 16th consecutive day that I have driven on and could if I wished continue for a good few more. This is my current situation and what could be.

Started work on Sunday 5th September at 05:30 after 4 days off.

Worked each day of the week and parked in Belgium to begin my weekly rest period at 05:10 on Saturday 11th.

Resumed work at 05:30 on Sunday 12th.

Worked on each of the following days and again parked in Belgium at 01:15 on Saturday 18th to begin full weekly rest period

Resumed work at 23:00 on Sunday 19th as I had parked on exactly 89 hours for the fortnight and starting at 23:00 I could use the remaining hour of the 90 to get to the train and by the time I came to start driving again back in the UK the fortnightly total would have reset at 01:00. Which is exactly how it worked out as I was on the train in 89 hours and 57 minutes driving for the fortnight and didn’t start driving again until a little after 01:30 by which time the fortnightly counter was down to 46 hours and a few minutes. Love it when a plan comes together. :wink:

Finished at 04:30 and that is driving on 16 consecutive days.

I am back in at 07:00 on Tuesday and will work through until Friday afternoon then I am off Saturday as I am going to Edinburgh for football then hopefully back in on the Sunday. But, if I wasn’t going away next Saturday I could work on the Saturday, have 24 off and resume on the Sunday then work a few more days before I would need to take an extended weekly rest of around 66 hours to pay back the reduced rest from the 11th/12th before the end of the 2nd October, meaning I would have to finish on Friday the 30th. I make that a possible 26 consecutive calendar days and legal. I don’t think any more than that would be possible.

Note all times above are BST.