Red X sign on motorway

Was driving down the M6 southbound this evening with the intention of leaving at junction 6. The exit was open but immediately after it they were coning off the carriageway making it down to lane 3 only, this meant that the overhead gantry signs for about 1/2 mile before were display the red X over lanes 1 and 2. Obviously they had to do this, but as the exit I wanted to use was open and therefore the closure signs only (in practice) applied to those continuing on the M6 I and of course others ignored the lane closed sign. The question: is this legal in this situtation?

has to be …unless they close the slip off aswell.

mrpj:
The question: is this legal in this situtation?

No. The offence is to pass beyond the sign in that lane.

Although, the counter argument would be that the signals are so programmed that the HA cannot always convey their intended wishes due to the limitations of the software. It is valid argument that to go into Lane 3, when others weren’t, and then trying to cross back over two lanes of traffic for the exit would, of itself, created a danger.

No argument at all lights are flashing or a red cross means you cant use the lane it is the other road users who are still in the lanes that are causing a danger

This is one of the easiest signs to remember. Why do you not know this ?

I have seen this before on a certain m/way in a certain part of the country, it was mentioned that the signals are totally misleading to the motorist and was told “that’s the set up”

Personally me and a colleague both adamant the signals are wrong and misleading and need to be changed, there is only 1 problem, it is still an offence to drive under a flashing red x, so while we followed the signals to set an example anyone with any sense could see what was happening as we went out to lane 3 then had to do a ridiculous monouevre to get back down a slip road,

Ring 08457 50 40 30, tell them to look at it and get a grip with misleading signals.

I’d just like to add > Its possible that the signs had not been posted that sensibly and maybe its one of the cases where you had to be there to be able to make any comment on passing them to go off at next junction. :grimacing:

As the overhead signs are unable to distinguish between the slip road and the main carriageway in this particular situation, the driver would be expected to take the safe appropriate action if intending to take the slip road.

The driver would be expected to use good forward observation & planning and make a reasonable assessment of how to deal with the situation.

If the strict legal interpretation was applied then the slip road would effectively be closed as the only way to access it would be to enter a lane that was designated as closed by the overhead red cross.

Would a driver be prosecuted for using lane 1 to access the slip road in this situation? - NOT A [ZB] CHANCE :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I would think the sign above lane 1 ,prior to the slip road,should show a ‘leave at next exit sign’,giving vehicles who want to exit,a lane in which to do so.Going under the red X is an offence,no argument.

extrucker:
I would think the sign above lane 1 ,prior to the slip road,should show a ‘leave at next exit sign’,giving vehicles who want to exit,a lane in which to do so.Going under the red X is an offence,no argument.

Would that not tell all road users to leave at next exit or cause confusion though as the sign being suggested is another ORDER:?: :question:

they should have put a blue arrow in inside lane for turn left only if the slip was open then after slip a red x it amazes me how many people will ignore the red x on a motorway only to forse their way in at the blokage wich is usually a police car parked or fire engine
then when they have forsed you to let um in stop to have a look at the problem

Ages ago i went under one of these on the M61 at the M60 split i had no choice as no one would let me into the nearside lane.

I was prosecuted for it and fined the code was MW10 and the fine was £200

Answer is don’t go under them full stop

I go through it every night - the only other option is to get into lane 3 as indicated then cut across lanes 2 and 1 to get to the slip road. Which would you rather do?
I stay in lane 1 and put a left signal on as soon as I pass the red cross so that those behind know why I am there!