Red Lodge has closed the doors

Information has come to light as per my question on my last post about Red Lodge Cafe.
Here is a short statement from the cafe owners.

Red Lodge Cafe

Its with the deepest regret,
The Red Lodge Cafe is closing its doors after 70 years of trading.
Due to the current situation we have had no choice.
We would like to say a very big heartfelt thankyou for your support over the years.
Keep safe from all of the staff.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Jumped in Red Lodge for a breakfast just before lockdown and I was the only one in there. It was on its knees and was always going to go.

I guess the bypass was always going to be its downfall, shame, it was always a handy place to stop.

tc trans:
I guess the bypass was always going to be its downfall, shame, it was always a handy place to stop.

+1…

I don’t think microlise, ■■■■■■■■ schedules, Mickey Ds, KFC, Burger King et all, tarearsegottagetanotherloadin, meal deals, the move to living on salads, nuts, berries and tofu has helped.

In it’s heyday (like all the old places) you usually had free secondary lung cancer thrown in with your bangers bacon 'n black pudding fried in lard.

Nom nom nom.

I remember stopping in here years ago at about 11pm and getting a cracking homemade sausage pie. 11pm and the place was almost full of people eating. Was always a handy place to stop on a certain night shift I used to do.

The Red Lodge was the first transport cafe I ever had breakfast in, Went past the turning in my camper van the other day and said to the wife lets pop in but we were meeting friends in Swaffam, wish we had stopped in for one last time.

Closed due to all the rushing about and no on having time to stop for a mugga with a mate. Regular stop when running in and out of Felixstowe, we didn’t have timed collections and all that security crap.

Glad I started my 24hr break earlier in Mildenhall within 10mins walk of supermarkets,pub,takeaways etc when I was thinking about driving 5 miles to the cafe and use that and the pub for my food and facilities. Was a bit of a moon landing parking area though which was crap for low riding trucks/trailers.

Wheel Nut:
Closed due to all the rushing about and no on having time to stop for a mugga with a mate.

Not really. When old roads get bypassed then its only those with the knowledge of where these old cafes are that would carry on stopping there. As the old and bold retire the younguns would not know about the old cafes as they were too young to have driven on the old road. Slowly the old cafes die a death.

It’s a shame.

My Mum used to say that the National Express coaches used to stop there, until the A11 extension / bypass.

I hope Walkers Snacks at Barton Mills / Mildenhall never succumbs to the newer fast food (and overpriced offer in the mini Waitrose) outfits on the roundabout. But so far it has survived the re-routing of traffic via the A11 rather than Brandon, and is very popular with bikers.

msgyorkie:

Wheel Nut:
Closed due to all the rushing about and no on having time to stop for a mugga with a mate.

Not really. When old roads get bypassed then its only those with the knowledge of where these old cafes are that would carry on stopping there. As the old and bold retire the younguns would not know about the old cafes as they were too young to have driven on the old road. Slowly the old cafes die a death.

^^ this. I passed it a few weeks ago, and wasnt aware of the cafe, otherwise I would have stopped.

Now demolished and cleared.
It was always going to happen, I suppose.