Red light camera

Hi. I received a red light ticket yesterday. Im wanting a bit of advise. I’m new to driving class 2 trucks and over a week ago I came to a red light camera set of lights. It was on red with a truck in front of me so I stopped when it went green the truck in front went through and when I got directly on the stop line going about 10 miles an hour the lights went amber. And the back wheels went through red. I couldn’t of stopped safely and the truck like most take a while from a stop to build up speed. I just wondered if any other drivers have done the same and if its worth challenging the ticket. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Take the 3 points and the fine.
No point in appealing, you won’t win.

Yeah I’ll have to I think. Just annoying that the lights were on green for less than 1 minute. And if your on the line or just over when it turns amber and you going slow you risk getting points.

davetruckers:
Yeah I’ll have to I think. Just annoying that the lights were on green for less than 1 minute. And if your on the line or just over when it turns amber and you going slow you risk getting points.

The law is this -
If you cross the line and THEN the lights change you treat it as a give way
In all cases the junction/crossing must not be stopped in so as to impede other road users

I got a red light ticket when I first started driving my car and got a time after lights went red 1.5 seconds, I had been trying to get directions of my partner on a map so was a little distracted and they where changing but I was doing 50 pretty close so could have stopped but though bugger it very stupid decision etc

It could be something you appeal, but it would probably not get you anywhere unless have dash cam footage etc showing over the line and just slow to clear due to truck in front etc

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

davetruckers:
Hi. I received a red light ticket yesterday. Im wanting a bit of advise. I’m new to driving class 2 trucks and over a week ago I came to a red light camera set of lights. It was on red with a truck in front of me so I stopped when it went green the truck in front went through and when I got directly on the stop line going about 10 miles an hour the lights went amber. And the back wheels went through red. I couldn’t of stopped safely and the truck like most take a while from a stop to build up speed. I just wondered if any other drivers have done the same and if its worth challenging the ticket. Thanks

If the sequence of events are exactly as you say (front wheels were crossing the stop line THEN changed to amber) I would be appealing. What the 40ft of truck behind you is doing is irrelevant. However I would advise not using “I couldn’t of*[sic]* stopped safely [from 10 miles an hour]” in your defence as that is unlikely to end well for you.

davetruckers:

Apologies if I don’t understand your explanation clearly. So, you were stationary behind another HGV at a RED ATS and drove over the stop line when it went GREEN and due to the slowness of the vehicle in front of you clearing, you could not see the lights past this point and the rest of your vehicle to clear the junc/crossing it before it changed and took the image?

I would warn you they are sometimes video cameras, not single-shot cams. So, if you’re saying this as a defence and this actually happened in the way you described it…Do you have in cab footage? If so, keep it safe.

I would appeal it!

Thanks for replying everyone. Ive requested the photo evidence taken. And I’ve asked for a copy of front and rear camera footage. To review it all.

The law is clear - if any part of the vehicle crosses the line on red you are breaking the law - even the last foot…

Shouldn’t you get away with it with some sort of course? Speed awareness maybe? 100£ but no points [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have a look at the pepipoo forum, they are really good with traffic matters. Yes seriously it’s called pepipoo ! :laughing:

I got caught by a red light camera in Nottingham, (in my car), about 4/5 years ago, wound up on a road safety course - similar to speed awareness but £80 instead of £90-odd at that time.

Was there no mention of a course option on/with the notice they sent you?

I find this curious because my understanding is green-to-amber means “stop if safe to do so”.

If the situation is as you describe, then you started in good faith through a green light that went amber as you crossed the line. In a truck (or any vehicle) you’d have to stand on the brakes to stop to be sure to be clear of the junction in that situation.

I thought that as long as the front wheels had passed the line before red, you could continue through? Given the length of a LGV/HGV however, the sensors will see you long after red vs. a car, even though the initial sitation is identical.

I have gone through lights this way in my car and never got a ticket (turned amber as I passed the line).

Personally I’d fight it, but it appears that is a bad idea based on the other comments.

gov.uk/guidance/the-highway … ng-traffic

AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line.

You may go on only if the AMBER appears
after you have crossed the stop line

or are so close to it that to pull up
might cause an accident

Unfortunately legally it is clear - you are perfectly entitled to stop after you have started to cross the white line as long as you are stopped by the time the light turns red. Half the vehicle in front of the line and half behind is not an issue legally apart from everyone thinking you’re an ■■■… It’s exactly the same as lights with two stop lines, with a box for cyclists. You can stop in the box as long as you are not moving over either line on a red light.

dom_f:
Unfortunately legally it is clear - you are perfectly entitled to stop after you have started to cross the white line as long as you are stopped by the time the light turns red. Half the vehicle in front of the line and half behind is not an issue legally apart from everyone thinking you’re an ■■■… It’s exactly the same as lights with two stop lines, with a box for cyclists. You can stop in the box as long as you are not moving over either line on a red light.

This is in contradiction to the HC I linked above. Both can not be correct. Is the HC wrong?

In your situation, depending upon where you stop you could be causing an obstruction to the junction. I can think of a few where this would be a problem.

If you have crossed the solid white line with the front of your vehicle and the light is NOT red then it is not an offence. It IS an offence when you cross the solid white line at the front of your vehicle and the light is red.

If you are halfway over the solid white line with your truck and the light then changes to red it is NOT an offence.

Guaranteed.

KAOSWATERS:
If you have crossed the solid white line with the front of your vehicle and the light is NOT red then it is not an offence. It IS an offence when you cross the solid white line at the front of your vehicle and the light is red.

If you are halfway over the solid white line with your truck and the light then changes to red it is NOT an offence.

Guaranteed.

Not quite as simple as that.

Monkey241:

KAOSWATERS:

Guaranteed.

Not quite as simple as that.

How can you be guilty of an offence if you have already passed the stop line before a red light phase ?

If you’ve already crossed then you should clear the prohibited area.
To be fair it’s a matter of judgement…but are you suggesting stopping the truck so the trailer axles are astride the white line is reasonable?

The offence is failing to obey a traffic sign…

The law demands stopping before the white line, the enforcement is a slightly flawed process and the reason why every photograph of the offence is subject to review by human eyes.