Red light at night

is a load of shhhh, Think i heard or read somewhere that driving with a red backlight in the cab in the dark reduces fatigue and stops the dazzle from oncoming vehicles. The FH has a red light setting so i tried it. Result, nothing, does it work for others or is it another myth,or is it me :confused: .

It works for some people, it’s all about personal prefference.
Some people like the dashboard lights dimmed or even off, I like them as bright as possible.
It’s no magic for fatigue or anything else, I use to use a “blacklight” in the cab (you know them purple one where you can check also your money with) but again the a personal prefference.
What works for one, doesn’t work for the other.
They sell them yellow specs for night driving, drives me nuts, but mymate swears by them

It’s how it is…some like the mother and some like the daughter, there is no such a thing what works for everyone.

440Mopar:
is a load of shhhh, Think i heard or read somewhere that driving with a red backlight in the cab in the dark reduces fatigue and stops the dazzle from oncoming vehicles. The FH has a red light setting so i tried it. Result, nothing, does it work for others or is it another myth,or is it me :confused: .

Don,t know about the dazzle bit, but I,ve always felt it better when night driving, but can,t really explain why, and I can see better when frying my sausages, you,ve got to be careful on them autobhans :laughing: :laughing:

A truck passed me this morning with a red back light, and to be honest it just looked a bit seedy :confused:

He still looked tired tho :grimacing:

Didn’t know it was for tiredness, I had a motor pass me last week when it was the hot spell, 3 in the morning but still t-shirt weather and a driver passed me with his red light on and orange high viz jacket on! I thought he may have had his log effect fire going as well. :open_mouth:

The idea of “night lighting” in red is to prevent reflection off the windscreen, so you can still see where you are going with the interior lights on, ie it’s a safety measure.
I doubt if the manufacturers ever intended them to be left on throughout a journey.

I prefer to drive in the dark and would hate one of those Scania/Volvo/DAF lit up efforts on the rear cab wall,the reflection in the windscreen must be difficult to see past.
I’m not sure about the red light bars on air kits that you see around, can you see the rest of your trailer past the red reflection on the front?

I have never understood the need to block the view out with stickers, half drawn curtains,cuddly toys etc, the makers have already built in enough blind spots without us adding more.

Regards,
Nick

I never used one until i got a truck with one fitted[daf95xf]must admit i did find it more relaxing,as posted by robroy i cant explain it either.
regards dave.

I use mine all the time but its only so I can see where my brew is.

skids:

I think that is the only reason, it makes it easier to find things like polo mints, ■■■■, matches or a pen without using the interior lights.

A red light doesn’t spoil night vision, that is why they use them on ships at sea.

skids:

100% agree sir.

Now thats why i like trucknet i never new what the red light setting was for but nowi do i will try it

bjd:
Now thats why i like trucknet i never new what the red light setting was for but nowi do i will try it

I thought the moon symbol was a pretty good give away :smiley:

waynedl:

bjd:

I thought the moon symbol was a pretty good give away :smiley:

Fair point well made ¡

Wheel Nut:
A red light doesn’t spoil night vision, that is why they use them on ships at sea.

It stops you bumping into things and also gets your eyes used to the lights when you go ashore :confused:
Reperbahn in Hamburg, amsterdam, skipperstrasse in antwerp etc… (so I have been informed)

raymundo:

Wheel Nut:

It stops you bumping into things and also gets your eyes used to the lights when you go ashore :confused:
Reperbahn in Hamburg, amsterdam, skipperstrasse in antwerp etc… (so I have been informed)

Of course. I never thought of it like that :laughing:

the only thing the red lights did for me was to get propositioned in a layby…it may have a significant meaning in certain circles :open_mouth:

The red lights in Scanias are completely useless. I prefer them on at night if they’re any good.

map-man:
the only thing the red lights did for me was to get propositioned in a layby…it may have a significant meaning in certain circles :open_mouth:

Which lay-by exactly and where■■?.. Just want to know for research reasons you understand :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ( PS only if the interest shown was female :laughing:)

i dont like orange or red dash lights either, much prefer blue or green at night.just seems easier on the eye to me.

robroy:

map-man:

Which lay-by exactly and where■■?.. Just want to know for research reasons you understand :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: ( PS only if the interest shown was female :laughing:)

On the A614 at ollerton, think its pretty common round there, and it has to be said she was pretty tasty :laughing: