Red diesel changes in 2022

There are changes as to who are allowed to use red diesel from 1st April 2022 because of this ‘Net Zero’ and from what I’m reading leisure craft will be banned from using it, Isn’t Harry Monk a narrowboat user? I was hoping he could shed some light if that will be the case. thatsfarming.com/farming-news/r … l-changes/

lancpudn:
There are changes as to who are allowed to use red diesel from 1st April 2022 because of this ‘Net Zero’ and from what I’m reading leisure craft will be banned from using it, Isn’t Harry Monk a narrowboat user? I was hoping he could shed some light if that will be the case. thatsfarming.com/farming-news/r … l-changes/

The rules are now so silly that they effectively make the whole idea of rebated diesel and any previous premise on its use, moot and defeats the object of it in most cases.
The energy density of diesel makes it too much of a threat to this obvious energy coup.
It’ll be a similar coup over the food supply next using the same ‘climate’ pretext.
While ironically for travelling house boat type users a smokeless coal/wood or liquid meths fuelled stove/boiler and a small steam engine for propulsion might be a good option.

lancpudn:

I do believe this is one of the advantages of Brexit. The government can get away with it now.

Dipster:

lancpudn:

I do believe this is one of the advantages of Brexit. The government can get away with it now.

Dear Lord [emoji1787]

The EU didn’t have a green agenda as well?

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Dipster:

lancpudn:

The use of white diesel for private boat propulsion use was an EU imposed policy by CJEU Judgement.It was obvious that all bets were off for all types of red diesel use from the point of that being forced through.
While Boris is the best leader that the Europhile LibDems have ever had and the Tories as a Party aren’t exactly notable for their Euro scepticism other than when they are lying or pretending.
So obviously no chance of relying on them to reject anything imposed by the EU on us.
As opposed to taking advantage to maximise revenues from regressive taxation to reduce the income tax burden on the highest earners.
gov.uk/government/publicatio … sure-craft

Monkey241:

Dipster:

lancpudn:

Dear Lord [emoji1787]

Indeed they do. What is your point in this context? Those who have been using red diesel will not stop using diesel, will they?

Looks like rebated bio-diesel is to be banned too & reading the .Gov site “Registered fuel suppliers that switch a fuel tank from red to white diesel will need to flush out the tank and supply lines until no trace of marked rebated fuel remains. This will help to ensure compliance and minimise the risk that white diesel that has had the full duty rate paid on it is contaminated with the red diesel marker.”

They’re really hammering the small guys who use it. :cry:

Dipster:

Monkey241:

Dipster:

lancpudn:

Dear Lord [emoji1787]

Indeed they do. What is your point in this context? Those who have been using red diesel will not stop using diesel, will they?

The point was your desperate bid to pin it on Brexit

[/quote]
Dear Lord [emoji1787]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Bid to pin it on Brexit? It’s fact. By the way, Happy New year to you.

Dipster:

Dear Lord [emoji1787]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
Bid to pin it on Brexit? It’s fact. By the way, Happy New year to you.
[/quote]
The only ‘fact’ is that Boris is a closet LibDem and it was the EU that kicked off the attack on red diesel use.When that use needed to be expanded, not reduced and effectively banned.
Leading a Party that stands shoulder to shoulder with EU energy policy and that means removing the option of cheap safe fossil fuel.
To the advantage of the nuclear fuelled power generation industry …until a nuke power station goes bang in a big way.The resulting backlash against this evil scam will at least be some good coming out of such an event.

It also says diesel theft will be more of a thing when this kicks in too and people will need to improve security.

lancpudn:
It also says diesel theft will be more of a thing when this kicks in too and people will need to improve security.

Won’t be much point in storing diesel needlessly tying up loads of capital.The government seems to think that it can move the goal posts around to suit itelf with no change in customer buying and storage policy.Storing white diesel is just paying loads of tax up front in that environment and the government is deluded if it thinks that previous red diesel consumers will play its rip off game.

Carryfast:

lancpudn:

Won’t be much point in storing diesel needlessly tying up loads of capital.The government seems to think that it can move the goal posts around to suit itelf with no change in customer buying and storage policy.Storing white diesel is just paying loads of tax up front in that environment and the government is deluded if it thinks that previous red diesel consumers will play its rip off game.

Wow, you almost seem to get it now, if only by accident.
Consumers won’t keep playing the same game, you’re right.
When diesel is more expensive they will seek cheaper fuels. They will stop buying diesel. That is the goal of taxes in this case.

Franglais:

Carryfast:

Wow, you almost seem to get it now, if only by accident.
Consumers won’t keep playing the same game, you’re right.
When diesel is more expensive they will seek cheaper fuels. They will stop buying diesel. That is the goal of taxes in this case.

Define what you mean by ‘cheaper fuels’.Which ‘fuels’ would that be.
Why not just ban all further sale of diesel fuel if the goal is to stop its use.Then see what happens to the economy.

At risk of regretting carrying on with this.

Carryfast:
Why not just ban all further sale of diesel fuel if the goal is to stop its use.Then see what happens to the economy.

“Cheaper fuels” are those fuels that produce the same desired end result but cost less money to do so. I really might have been better off using “energy sources” rather than “fuels”.

To ban any established way of doing something immediately, would probably be harmful to the economy.
So that is why the Gov are raising taxes incrementally so we can see what is happening and take action as and when needed.

Franglais:
At risk of regretting carrying on with this.

Carryfast:

“Cheaper fuels” are those fuels that produce the same desired end result but cost less money to do so. I really might have been better off using “energy sources” rather than “fuels”.

To ban any established way of doing something immediately, would probably be harmful to the economy.
So that is why the Gov are raising taxes incrementally so we can see what is happening and take action as and when needed.

Which ‘energy sources’ are ‘cheaper’ to use than red diesel.If they existed they’d already be in use.

You admit that banning the use of diesel would harm the economy but you think that imposing a punitive taxation policy on it and other fossil fuel won’t.
It really doesn’t matter whether you do that ‘incrementally’ or not.At the end of the day you’re still going to be left with an unaffordable, unviable and dangerous nuclear based energy policy starting at 26p per kwh + battery costs or + Hydrogen manufacturing costs.
All + taxes because the government has no intention of replacing regressive fuel taxation with income taxation hitting the highest earners.

Having said that the only changes that I’m seeing here are for use in construction type equipment.While lifting of the EU imposed rule regarding ‘pleasure boats’ , except in Northern Ireland.
So it’s still possible to use red diesel to fuel a portable generator and even propel a pleasure boat.It only seems to be construction sector plant use which has taken a hit.

While if the government really wanted to make the road transport industry more efficient it would obviously allow the use of LHV’s and red diesel to fuel commercial vehicles.
Bearing in mind that isn’t mutually exclusive with any ‘incremental’ move towards hydrogen fuelled ICE later while increasing revenues in the industry to make the change.
As opposed to the situation of rail transport using cheap red diesel, instead of electric, to power its locomotives while turning the road transport and now also the construction sectors, into unecomic, over taxed, basket cases.Harmful to the economy indeed.

gov.uk/government/publicatio … ntitlement

Luckily (for me anyway) boaters are one of the few groups who will still be permitted to use red diesel.

"Government response

4.6 Following consultation, the government has decided to maintain the entitlement to use red diesel beyond April 2022 for all commercial boat operating industries, including but not limited to the fishing and inland water freight industries.

4.7 The government has therefore decided not to change the treatment of private pleasure craft in Great Britain, where they will continue to be able to use red diesel and pay their fuel supplier the difference between the red diesel rate and the white diesel rate on the proportion they intend to use for propulsion".

Harry Monk:
Luckily (for me anyway) boaters are one of the few groups who will still be permitted to use red diesel.

"Government response

4.6 Following consultation, the government has decided to maintain the entitlement to use red diesel beyond April 2022 for all commercial boat operating industries, including but not limited to the fishing and inland water freight industries.

4.7 The government has therefore decided not to change the treatment of private pleasure craft in Great Britain, where they will continue to be able to use red diesel and pay their fuel supplier the difference between the red diesel rate and the white diesel rate on the proportion they intend to use for propulsion".

So they won’t actually be able to use red diesel for propulsion.Which is actually ‘a change’ as we know originating by EU directive.So the EU win again as part of BRINO.

Carryfast:
So they won’t actually be able to use red diesel for propulsion.Which is actually ‘a change’ as we know originating by EU directive.So the EU win again as part of BRINO.

The current situation is that narrowboats have one fuel tank and this is filled with red diesel. On purchase, the boater declares a “split”, that is to say how much fuel he intends to use for propulsion and how much for non-propulsion, e.g. to charge the batteries or supply hot water (my hot water supply is provided by the engine).

So a typical split might be 60/40 with 60% of the fuel to be used for propulsion. This is charged at the white diesel rate with the other 40% charged at the red diesel rate. Because I am over-Wintering on my mooring at the moment I am declaring 0/100 (see declaration bottom left).

To keep it simple, suppose you buy 100 litres of red diesel when the base price is £1.00 per litre and the DERV rate is £1.50 per litre and you declare a 50/50 split. You pay £50 for 50 litres of diesel and £75 for the other 50 litres, total £125.

Nothing is going to change for boaters and the fuel actually used for propulsion will still be red diesel, just charged at the DERV rate as it is already.

Harry Monk:
The current situation is that narrowboats have one fuel tank and this is filled with red diesel. On purchase, the boater declares a “split”, that is to say how much fuel he intends to use for propulsion and how much for non-propulsion, e.g. to charge the batteries or supply hot water (my hot water supply is provided by the engine).

So a typical split might be 60/40 with 60% of the fuel to be used for propulsion. This is charged at the white diesel rate with the other 40% charged at the red diesel rate. Because I am over-Wintering on my mooring at the moment I am declaring 0/100 (see declaration bottom left).

Nothing is going to change for boaters and the fuel actually used for propulsion will still be red diesel, just charged at the DERV rate as it is already.

But having to pay white diesel rates for propulsion was a relatively recent imposition dictated by the EU.
While just looking at the Thames in mid Summer shows that it’s decimated the pleasure boat sector to the point of creating a net loss to the economy.
Boris is a fraud.