Recovery work

Looking to get into heavy recovery. has anyone got any advice on how to go bout getting into this line of work and usual stuff like average pay and hours etc. cheers

sandgrounder:
Looking to get into heavy recovery. has anyone got any advice on how to go bout getting into this line of work and usual stuff like average pay and hours etc. cheers

Dependant on your location you could try the mansfield group as they are advertising

themansfieldgroup.com/vacancies.html

sorry wrong thread

Step 1: Divorce wife & sell family
Step 2: Sell house - You won’t need it
Step 3: Find a job doing light recovery
Step 4: After a few years or a bit of luck, move into heavy recovery.

T shirt and been there.

Copied from the Mansefield advert:

You will be required to work on a shift system including evenings and weekends and you will be part of our on call service team, so flexibility is required.

It doesn’t sound so bad, put like that, does it. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

You make good cash but never off to spend it

1st question have you ever done any recovery at all?? you may find its not the job for you especially when its 3am in the morning and finding the driver had died in the cab and you will be the one having to hose off your truck back at the depot on your own…(there are nice bits of the job but be prepared for the bad bits as well) oh and divorce your wife as when on call I will guarentee you get a call just as you have got into bed after being out all day and hvaing to do a night recovery…

If your single and dont have any friends, dislike having a social life, enjoy having rain water running down your back as your lying under the casualty taking the prop off, then just as you get back to bed at 4 in the morning the phone goes and off you go again. Its not as well paid as some think either, and some operators and a bunch of hooks. Good luck if its what you want to do, one things for sure, no 2 days are the same, especially if your on the Police scheme, you will attend some pretty unsightly accidents and will assist the services in body removal, well we did anyway. As I say good luck, but its not all V8`s and flashy lights.

Have you any mechanic/fitting experience?

Most heavy recovery operators have a ■■■■■■■■ of trained, experienced operators who are treated like part of the family. The rest of them are monkeys to be abused during busy times.

I used to fall in as 2nd or 3rd man on . . . what we called “spectaculars”, which are the RTC’s, roll overs, major bridge strikes etc on the Police scheme. The lead chap’s REALLY need to know what they’re doing.

If you’re not from a fitting or recovery background, it’s highly unlikely anyone’s going to invest in you, you’ll likely end up front lifting rigids & units back to workshops. They will burn you out then replace you without as much as a casual thank you.

Chas:
Have you any mechanic/fitting experience?

Most heavy recovery operators have a ■■■■■■■■ of trained, experienced operators who are treated like part of the family. The rest of them are monkeys to be abused during busy times.

I used to fall in as 2nd or 3rd man on . . . what we called “spectaculars”, which are the RTC’s, roll overs, major bridge strikes etc on the Police scheme. The lead chap’s REALLY need to know what they’re doing.

If you’re not from a fitting or recovery background, it’s highly unlikely anyone’s going to invest in you, you’ll likely end up front lifting rigids & units back to workshops. They will burn you out then replace you without as much as a casual thank you.

Dunno who you worked for Chas, but you’ve hit the nail right on the head there.
I’m just about burned out now, I love the recovery job to bits but we’ve been running short-staffed for too long now, there’s only so long you can run on empty. 20 hour days are ok once in a while, but every other day is becoming too much. I’ve been applying for other jobs this week. I don’t want to leave, but can’t see any other way around it.

Hough green recovery, based in widnes are always on the lookout

Thereal-john:

Do you think that tells a story!!!

I was interested in aiming for this job until one day I broke down in the lorry and I had to be towed away. Got speaking to the guy he said he was on £16hr days, sounded good until 1 I see the responsibility involved and 2 the late nights out and being on call most the time.
I decided against aiming for this as I love being home at night relaxing.
I get nearly half that wage now, but I have a great job I enjoy and it’s easy

Money isn’t everything, seeing the missus every night and relaxing on the sofa at night in front of Eastenders. Then not worrying about work the next day enjoying my weekends to do Motocross or whatever else i please now that is everything money can’t buy

Mr Thomas Ash in Glasgow is another for that.

Takes someone on for 2 weeks then sacks them for nothing. Won’t tell you why either…FREE LABOUR!

He’s still advertising the job I went for 2 years ago, appears every few weeks, so that’s another trick to watch out for.

cieranc:
Dunno who you worked for Chas, but you’ve hit the nail right on the head there.
I’m just about burned out now, I love the recovery job to bits but we’ve been running short-staffed for too long now, there’s only so long you can run on empty. 20 hour days are ok once in a while, but every other day is becoming too much. I’ve been applying for other jobs this week. I don’t want to leave, but can’t see any other way around it.

I used to work a 12hr shift, 4 on 4 off, a month of days then a month of nights. It seemed strange that a 6hr recovery would often magically appear with 2hrs to go on shift !

They KNOW that they’re doing it. They’re working the system with the clubs to squeeze the last drop of energy from you before you leave, to be replaced by some other mug who’s blind to their practices & keen to give it a go.

I took my experience & ended up working for a company who only did the Police scheme, fantastic job & loved every minute. That went pear shaped after 2yrs 'cos the boss got greedy & started taking on club work.

It can be great job with the right company, sadly, due to the ‘hazy’ regulations in the industry it is full of rogue operators.

stagedriver:
Mr Thomas Ash in Glasgow is another for that.

Takes someone on for 2 weeks then sacks them for nothing. Won’t tell you why either…FREE LABOUR!

He’s still advertising the job I went for 2 years ago, appears every few weeks, so that’s another trick to watch out for.

Just to put the record straight , we have not had any jobs advertised for over 12 months in our Glasgow depot , our Greenock depot was recruiting recently but was through our address.
I always try to email anyone who has came in.

Also any one who came to our company for a trial was paid.
It takes a special type of person to do the job we do & it is not for your every day driver.

If you have any issues with my company then please feel free to email me
info@thomasashrecovery.com

Joe Ash
Thomas Ash & Sons Ltd

sandgrounder:

Which part of the country are you from??
As previously mentioned a lot of people aren’t cut out for this type of work…

Basically like other’s have said, do you have experience first? As you don’t really go straight into heavy recovery, you work your way up through the lights and that can take awhile. We’re always busy on heavies. But these guys work long hours and yes if your wife is going to be ok with you on-call with the job beeping at 2am in the morning on hard shoulder in the rain and you know you are up for this, then it’s the job for you, but it can burn you out. Best thing would to be to start on lights and then your get a rough idea of recovery work.

We’re currently looking for a heavy driver to do a night shift, our main depot is based out of south mimms. I’m not sure on details of pay etc, but i have pm’d you some details that i have.

Thereal-john:

thats because if you damage something during a recovery they will try and make you pay out of your own pocket!

I did recovery work in glasgow for long enough and to be fair all the company’s are the same work you until your burnt out then put you on call

Also I never worked for Thomas ash so iam not passing judgement on them