Recovery tips - Dos and Don'ts - 165s

We may be getting some bad weather so I thought it would be okay to put up some guidance. I typed this for a classic car forum and I am sure members here are better prepared. I did work in recovery - I am sure most of you prepare yourselves but may be there are things you haven’t thought of and things you can add. Breaking down is something we all hate and particularly this time of year. You wish to be recovered asap but have you done all you possibly can?

Recovery tips
a] Which policy provider? Read the small print as usual - there are now a 1001 providers but often slow to provide assistance as they contract the job out to local recovery firms for the lowest price. The AA and RAC used to have their own vehicle fleet and now often contract out the job like other providers if a patrol van is not in the area. So you can never be sure who will in fact be turning up at the scene.
I have been with one provider for 30 years now and I wouldn’t use anyone else (you can PM me if you want to know who I use). Often they will send a van first but if you can diagnose what is wrong then request a truck in the call - don’t wait for a van to turn up arriving in maybe 2 hrs and then the van calling the truck which could take another 2-3 hrs to arrive. Some providers will only send the van in the first instance and that can be perhaps 4 hours after they received your call!

Collision/accident cover you may like to include in the policy otherwise you pay the full fee of your car being recovered to the yard to await transfer to the repair centre. I don’t bother with this but many folk consider it worthwhile.

b] Often assistance arriving takes longer as too many folk CANNOT provide their location - yet will blame the driver when they arrive late. With most satnavs (or phone apps) one can provide a COORDINATE… check your equipment so you can do the same.
As for smartphones there are coordinate apps if you haven’t installed a satnav app that provides it like ‘Here maps’. Co-Pilot, Navigator by Mapfactor are two apps that I use and found very reliable. But it is best to provide coordinates in decimal degrees as this can be typed immediately into google maps at the control centre. Any coordinate will be accurate to within 20 yards.
Always be aware what road you are on and be able to describe the route you are taking. Recovery drivers acquire good geography with time and can often go immediately to the location without needing to rely on a possible postcode.
Many customers I have been to have not thought about having a coordinate app on their smartphone so I recommend that you find one to your liking (there are plenty free with no adds). e.g. I had one job and a young lass remembered her route but had taken a wrong turning later and she was 30 miles from where she claimed. The police had to be called to find her… this was in winter. Perhaps she was listening to the radio and didn’t think she would break down. Know your location or route!

c] If you are in an unsafe location i.e. on any road rather than a layby DO NOT remain in the car. You should be 20-30 yards BEHIND the car - if a another vehicle was to swerve and hit your car you are well clear of your vehicle being knocked into you… and you being killed/injured. In a layby you could remain in the car BUT keep your safety belt on just in case. The number of folk I went to beside the road without a safety belt on was about 90% - if hit you would be thrown through the windscreen and probably killed. Folk are driving at ridiculous speeds these days.

d] Use hazard lights effectively! If in an unsafe location they should be on BUT beware if you have a modern car because if you have had them on for almost 1.5 hours you may find that has drained the battery so that you have no power for releasing the steering lock or autobox.
Recovery can use 'slips and get it on the truck but it’ll take longer. Better alternative if you are in a layby at night is to get the bonnet up which the recovery truck lights will see… also can be worth putting side lights on rather than hazard lights as that will use less power.
If possible find out from control when the truck is likely to arrive and then put hazards on 10-15 mins before arrival to save power. In an unsafe location use cones or a triangle on the road to give warning of breakdown.

e] Extra clothing is a must. Maybe there is an accident and you are in a long queue. You could be waiting 2+ hours for the police to clear the road. Relying on your heater to keep warm… my kitcar hmm (mine anyway no heater motor at present!). Hot drink from flask wouldn’t be amiss. It may seem a pain to be prepared but I had such an experience 2 year ago and I was only about 1.5 mile from home.

165s
Dare I mention it - insurance, tax and MOT. I don’t imply that any member would drive without. BUT the folk caught are those like my neighbour who haven’t kept a note of their MOT renewal date or tax renewal date and are caught out often by a day.
Similarly with insurance - I found those caught were often the partner who thought they were covered but did not check properly. There are those who try and get away with it - most areas now I assure you have an unmarked police patrol vehicle on the road 24 hours a day… computer scanning every car possible (they reckon to catch any motor within 30 mins motoring).
It’s big business these days - £400+ and if not paid within 7 days… your motor is seized, sold and proceeds go to the recovery firm. No longer can you report to a police station within 24 hours with proof of the three. If stopped on the road the police will request proof - KEEP docs on you! No use thinking one can just keep the insurance company phone number on the phone in case - they are closed after 1700.
Beware if you have just renewed insurance with a different company - it takes a fortnight sometimes for the info to get on the computer so keep docs to hand especially after renewal. If you cannot provide docs to the police - your car will go on the truck! My policy is due for renewal in Feb but I still keep them with me every trip I go…

I am hoping I have raised some useful points for members that they may not have thought of before. I broke down myself last week overheating - for the first time in 30 years the thermostat stuck I found out later, and I ended up waiting 3.5 hours for my previous employer to turn up with a truck (they were busy that afternoon and only had about 5 mile to reach me).

Great advice!! Many thanks for sharing.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

FuzzButt:
Great advice!! Many thanks for sharing.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks that’s what a forum is for. It was an eye-opener for me working in the business - I loved it but the hours and pay made for a difficult time. One night I had an accident police job and they were a bit excited about an overturned van as it had plants on board… poor plants. I got the van back on all fours on the verge and they were like ‘bees round a ■■■■■■■■■’. I was able to look in the back after saying I was a keen gardener and said “what lovely looking plants - ok if I take a couple of cuttings”. One had to share a sense of humour in the job - I waited then for about 4-5 hours while forensic did their bit for the accident. Trouble is after all is back in the yard one has to have the 9-11 hours rest which means that you do no work the following day. So you got penalised for doing a night job… well with the way that firm practised.

I never bothered with carrying documentation before but certainly do now everywhere I go… just leave nothing to chance. Most depends on the PC concerned and whether tea break is looming close.