Recovery MOT

Recovery truck 7.5 ton only using for breakdown recovery no scrap or transport
I’ve been told it will not need an mot
Gov website says the exemptions finished 2018 but also read somewhere you need an annual inspection instead of mot any recovery people shed any light o this ?

Gixerbaz:
Recovery truck 7.5 ton only using for breakdown recovery no scrap or transport
I’ve been told it will not need an mot
Gov website says the exemptions finished 2018 but also read somewhere you need an annual inspection instead of mot any recovery people shed any light o this ?

What are you asking? Whether or not the Gov website is wrong?

gov.uk/trade-licence-plates/print
3. Rules for using your trade plates
You can only use trade plates on vehicles that:
are safe to drive (‘roadworthy’)
are insured
have a valid MOT, or are exempt from needing an MOT

MoT Exempt Vehicles V112:
assets.publishing.service.gov.u … om-mot.pdf
I can`t see “recovery” there.

Even if your vehicle were exempt from an MoT it would still need to be a roadworthy condition.
Would paying for a “safety inspection” be any cheaper, or otherwise better, than having an MoT?

Are recovery vehicles MOT exempt?
Recovery vehicles are only MOT exempt if you are purely using them to recover broken vehicles. If you use the truck for anything other than recovery work, even if it’s used just to nip down to the shops on a lunch break or to move sales cars around, it then requires an MOT. You will also be required to get an MOT if the recovery vehicle carries any other passengers other than those that have come from the broken down car that is being recovered.

I got this from a website , not gov uk that’s why I’m asking , and I was told by a chap selling a recovery truck the same thing , but as you point out and I saw the same it’s not on the list of exemptions

Gixerbaz:
Recovery vehicles are only MOT exempt if you are purely using them to recover broken vehicles. If you use the truck for anything other than recovery work, even if it’s used just to nip down to the shops on a lunch break or to move sales cars around, it then requires an MOT. You will also be required to get an MOT if the recovery vehicle carries any other passengers other than those that have come from the broken down car that is being recovered.

I got this from a website , not gov uk that’s why I’m asking , and I was told by a chap selling a recovery truck the same thing , but as you point out and I saw the same it’s not on the list of exemptions

Have you a link to that website? Is there any sort of date on it?

I know lots of people who say "Ive always done it that way" etc, about all sorts of things. What they say might well be true for their past experience. But that doesnt make them right.
Driving down the same bit of road at 40mph doesnt mean it hasnt got a 30mph limit, it just means they havent been nicked. It doesnt mean the limit dropped to 20 yesterday.

There’s no exemption for using a recovery vehicle without an MOT, though you can be exempt from an O-licence if you’re only recovering broken-down vehicles. I think this is what is leading to incorrect suggestions,
Franglais has given the definitive reference in V112, if it’s not in there, it’s not exempt.

Franglais:

Gixerbaz:

Have you a link to that website? Is there any sort of date on it?

I know lots of people who say "Ive always done it that way" etc, about all sorts of things. What they say might well be true for their past experience. But that doesnt make them right.
Driving down the same bit of road at 40mph doesnt mean it hasnt got a 30mph limit, it just means they havent been nicked. It doesnt mean the limit dropped to 20 yesterday.

I read the gov site before posting , but I wondered if anyone here has an exempt recovery truck or if it’s possible , I’ve not looked for a date on the site I just googled it
scrapcarcomparison.co.uk/bl … ot-exempt/

Gov site, or an online scrap-car comparison site?
I know which I would tend to believe.

If you keep looking for ways to cut corners you will find them.
It`s like finding easy ways to solve difficult problems: there are hundreds of them…and they are all wrong.

You famously decry everything the Government say (with the notable exception of Covid it goes without saying) so why suddenly are you suggesting that they are a paragon of virtue?

the maoster:
You famously decry everything the Government say (with the notable exception of Covid it goes without saying) so why suddenly are you suggesting that they are a paragon of virtue?

Anything to say on topic?

Calm down dear, I’m sure something you can disagree with will be along shortly to satisfy your needs.

Gixerbaz:
I read the gov site before posting , but I wondered if anyone here has an exempt recovery truck or if it’s possible , I’ve not looked for a date on the site I just googled it

I’ll put my neck on the line and say that site is wrong. Not least of all because taxis are not MOT exempt, that’s utter nonsense, as is the segment on recovery vehicles being exempt. Whoever wrote that is confusing O-licencing with MOTs, and I’d wager they’re not covered by professional indemnity insurance to cover themselves for advising.

I recently spent a whole afternoon researching MOT exemptions, just to see if a scrap trailer with no MOT could be towed by one of our units to our yard for scrapping. The answer was no. Everything comes back to V112
gov.uk/government/publicati … n-from-mot

:astonished:

Zac_A:

Gixerbaz:

I’ll put my neck on the line and say that site is wrong. Not least of all because taxis are not MOT exempt, that’s utter nonsense, as is the segment on recovery vehicles being exempt. Whoever wrote that is confusing O-licencing with MOTs, and I’d wager they’re not covered by professional indemnity insurance to cover themselves for advising.

I recently spent a whole afternoon researching MOT exemptions, just to see if a scrap trailer with no MOT could be towed by one of our units to our yard for scrapping. The answer was no. Everything comes back to V112

I did read the gov v 112 and googled it ect and I posted on a recovery group today it’s a big no , so I’ll give the exempt trucks a miss as they are most likely knackered, thanks for all the replies

Zac_A:

Gixerbaz:

Could you legally tow a trailer with an expired mot to its mot appointment? And if it failed, onwards for repair?