Recovery drivers hours

Our car developed a fault on the electronics and had to be recovered from a local town at the weekend.
The 7. 5 t. Flatbed recovery driver told us he regularly worked 75-80 hrs a week, and the day before was a 20 hr day including a 650 mile round trip and after 8hrs was back at work, he parks the truck at home not in their yard. And only uses the tacho if more than 65 miles from home .
He was exhausted and it showed.
How the hell do they get away with it ?

Cause recovery is excluded from the hours regs same with tacho laws as well as operators licence (long as your not transporting them) if you exceed 100km from the company’s base your on tacho laws for a week (easy week if can get it) but they tend only to send a couple driver outside recovery zone per week
Most company’s will turn and burn you (they are some good firms what look after you but getting rare now) I.e you work 20 hours or so then your on call then rinse and repeat
It’s good money if you live alone and don’t like your house much :slight_smile:

Plus you don’t need sleep anyway the noise of the rubble strips when your working at the side of the road keeps you awake

K5Project:
Cause recovery is excluded from the hours regs same with tacho laws as well as operators licence (long as your not transporting them) if you exceed 100km from the company’s base your on tacho laws for a week (easy week if can get it) but they tend only to send a couple driver outside recovery zone per week
Most company’s will turn and burn you (they are some good firms what look after you but getting rare now) I.e you work 20 hours or so then your on call then rinse and repeat
It’s good money if you live alone and don’t like your house much :slight_smile:

Plus you don’t need sleep anyway the noise of the rubble strips when your working at the side of the road keeps you awake

Spot on. I was talking to a heavy recovery driver the other day, who had been on duty for twenty one hours and was in the process of getting his next load ready as we spoke, he was very happy with his money but was absolutely dead on his feet :frowning:

Once again, the H&S enthusiasts find easy targets and ignore the real dangers.

This was no fly-by-night outfit either, a very well known firm.

the longest shift I did was to get called to the first job at 08.00, and finished the last job at 09.00 the following morning :unamused:

I did 22 hours straight once, the firm I worked for were decent enough to give you a fair few hours off after doing long days.

And yes, the money is very good indeed, it’s finding time to spend it!