Recovery Driver (3.5t)

Hi, i hope this isnt the wrong section, i have tried to have a look…

I used to be a bus driver but it’s not an option anymore.

I was just looking into coming a recovery driver / collecting vehicles and maybe also buying a few cars up north and selling them for a small profit.

i have had a look and it seems that a 3.5 beavertail might be the best option.

But it seems i might have to run a tachograph and operators licence ? But i would rather not get into that. I have had a look online and some say you do, some say you don’t need them

i was hoping maybe anyone on here would be able to help :slight_smile: ? many thanks.

You shouldn’t need a tachograph or O’licence for a 3.5t or less commercial vehicle unless you’re thinking of pulling a trailer.

But you’ll find that the payload will limit what cars you could carry and if you’re thinking of doing it commercially you’ll be competing with every Tom, ■■■■ and Harry who runs 3.5t transporters or a van and trailers without Tachographs or O’licence and probably without the right insurance, maintenance etc.

As above you are limited to what you can carry with 3.5t legally and you will be competing against every tom ■■■■ & harry and most wont be paying for proper insurance etc .
But that said i still gained a lot of work in a year from local garages as van was clean and tidy always & well maintained , and i jumped when they called.
As well as buying cars myself to repair and sell on . I also registered with shiply , i got some work with that but a lot of the time the qoutes were ridiculous .
The prices for beavertail start at £2500 and sky is the limit really , Make sure the bed is flat as possible as low cars will scrape on ramp up if theres to much of a kink and the car will bounce on transit also damaging the underside of the car . Ideally look for long wheel base double axle i.e transit or merc sprinters .
But all in all good fun and good money to be made with buying & selling your own cars and transporting now and again .

I sold my van to get c+e licence , i sometimes kick myself but no going back now lol.

Just p.m if i can help in anyway.

Victa1:
As above you are limited to what you can carry with 3.5t legally and you will be competing against every tom ■■■■ & harry and most wont be paying for proper insurance etc .
But that said i still gained a lot of work in a year from local garages as van was clean and tidy always & well maintained , and i jumped when they called.
As well as buying cars myself to repair and sell on . I also registered with shiply , i got some work with that but a lot of the time the qoutes were ridiculous .
The prices for beavertail start at £2500 and sky is the limit really , Make sure the bed is flat as possible as low cars will scrape on ramp up if theres to much of a kink and the car will bounce on transit also damaging the underside of the car . Ideally look for long wheel base double axle i.e transit or merc sprinters .
But all in all good fun and good money to be made with buying & selling your own cars and transporting now and again .

I sold my van to get c+e licence , i sometimes kick myself but no going back now lol.

Is the money really that good? I looked at getting a van before (mostly to store and ■■■■ around with motorbikes, shared parking area), and a halfway decent one runs £7000 and up. That’s the cost of my car new! I’d love to work as my own man, in my own vehicle. Pipe dream I guess, but could I earn enough to pay for a mortgage?

htmldude:

Victa1:

Is the money really that good? I looked at getting a van before (mostly to store and ■■■■ around with motorbikes, shared parking area), and a halfway decent one runs £7000 and up. That’s the cost of my car new! I’d love to work as my own man, in my own vehicle. Pipe dream I guess, but could I earn enough to pay for a mortgage?

Just depends how hard you make it work for you bud .

Victa1:
Just depends how hard you make it work for you bud .

Gotta say that logic is indefatigable…