Recording time

We see loads of threads day in day out about recording manual entries etc, to account for time spent in the canteen/workshop/debrief etc. I was wondering how many people don’t bother with such stuff, and just use the card to record time spent in that days vehicle and nothing else

And the prize for " most blatant DVSA employee post" goes to OVLOV…

Lol no way do I work for them. I never use manual entries, but I don’t jump from one truck to another during a shift. When I did agency work at Iceland they were ■■■■ about manual entries, but I’ve never been hassled about it anywhere else, including tesco, sainsbury, safeway and maritime. So it’s not just confined to small firms. And before anyone jumps on me, I’m not pulling my card at 1900, sorting paperwork and such like for 15 mins, then putting the card back in at 0400. I would book off on my time sheet at 1915 and back on at 0415 for example

the only time I have ever used them is on assessments. other than that I don’t bother.

Did I prompt this one Jay? :smiley:

Unless there’s a good reason for doing a manual entry, I usually rock up to work, bang the card in, do my checks, then pull it when I’ve finished. Very rarely have any reason to do manual entries.

the maoster:

Maybe the straw that broke the camels back lol. On a side note, how many drivers do it off their own back or under instruction from their employer

Every driver does there own thing.Who am i to say owt…but lets say you turn up to work at 10pm and get keys for unit.A place i worked at it was a case of if the trailer was loaded the card went in just after 10…if trailer wernt ready till 1130pm thats when it would go in. Some may say its the difference between running out of time…I ran out of time!!

Only manual entries I did was on the old discs as sometimes I forgot to put it in at the start of the day :wink:

Get into the habit as from October the DVSA can issue roadside penalties, if you don’t show sufficent time (the minimum is 5 minutes) for pre use checks you could be fined at the roadside, they can also issue historic penalties going back up to 28 days for many other offences.

If your company uses Tachomaster they do a report showing potential roadside penalties, this can be filtered for individual drivers, ask for one, it will help you identify where you are going wrong, could save you a small fortune.

I have no need to do manual entries.
I park my car at 7.30am, I walk 10 yards to the lorry and put the card in. and go do my work.
I park the lorry up at 3pm, Pull the card, walk 10 yards to my car and go home.

If they think Im doing a manual entry for the 5 seconds it takes me to get from my car to the lorry, they can go swivel.

mike68:
Get into the habit as from October the DVSA can issue roadside penalties, if you don’t show sufficent time (the minimum is 5 minutes) for pre use checks you could be fined at the roadside, they can also issue historic penalties going back up to 28 days for many other offences.

Been in any RDC waiting rooms recently?

I always show my checks in the morning. The length of time (if any) is another matter, but the way I see it, that’s less actual work I have to do that day, so I’m happy to show it. Like I said before, the only place I’ve encountered manual entries was Wincanton (Iceland) and it was more to do with getting your tacho, trip sheet and clock card to tally up, as they would use any excuse to knock you a bit of money. The only other place I see the need for it would be if you take the card out and put it back in for whatever reason

mike68:

Care to show where the min 5 minutes is in any document

quite a few places Ive worked for insist time sheets match digi for both employed an agency, it hardly takes any effort to do and also saves any arguments on hours work should it ever come up. Plus if you ever get pulled over and your card is spot on with manual entries they are more likely to be lenient for anything minor.

OVLOV JAY:

the maoster:

Maybe the straw that broke the camels back lol. On a side note, how many drivers do it off their own back or under instruction from their employer

I do because then there’s no argument about when I started work, especially when I sometimes have to wait an hour for a lorry. It also prevents employers making you work over 15hrs a day just because your truck turned up late.