Recording other work

Had a text based disagreement with the boss today. He wanted me to do another 15 tomorrow but today is my third. He reckons his magic computer reckons I’ve only done 2 15s this week including today.

I replied that because they sent me out in the non tacho van on an errand and have booked that as ‘other work’ that plus the 13hr day of driving work (artic) it made it a 15.

I’ve previously been reminded that everything must be on the tacho including manoeuvres in the yard. I think the ministry had a go at them over lost mileage.

They have yet to reply. Was I right or wrong ? Would you have done the same ?

The errand was to collect a unit that turned out not to be ready.

Its not how long an individual shift is, its how many hours rest you’ve had in a fixed 24hr period. Did you do a manual entry for the 2hrs other work on your card when you put it in the truck after driving the van? If so then its a reduced daily rest so you’re right and he’s wrong and if he thinks he is right get him to download your card.

As said if you did a 13 hour shift in-scope of EU regulations then did a 2 hour run in a van it’s a reduced daily rest period.

You’re right and your boss and his computer are wrong.

Thanks everyone.

I’m getting tired of doing 3x 15 and a 13hr shift every week in my 4 on 4 off. Perhaps it is time for a job change, because I think this one is getting to me quite badly now.

Either way …
Paid by the HR or salary ?

Running to the max every day / week shouldn’t be enforced by or onto anyone .

The amount of hours you are doing seem ridiculous mate. You only have one life, don’t waste it at work.

New job time in my opinion, those kind of hours WILL ruin your health.

I can work 55+ hours a week (Mon to Fri) and I’m only doing locals, no nights out. Two hours a day can be just digger driving in our yard (all recorded as I leave tacho in the wagon). I can manage at least an 11 hour rest period though, and these hours will drop once the weather turns and we can’t screen topsoil.
As I work for a small family firm WTD reference periods are never mentioned. If there is no written agreement is it calculated over 17 weeks? Just thinking I might be pushing the average as we’ve had so much good screening weather recently.

Step back, he wanted you to do another fifteen tomorrow on top of already doing 3 fifteen hour days before?! Whether in scope, legal or not, three fifteens is already more than a working week - up to 45 hours in 3 days, what he’s demanding is up to 60 hours in 4 days. Sounds like the kind of firm that wants the daily clock to show 26 hours. I’d find somewhere else unless it suits you walking round like a fatigued zombie for Jacob Marley here. Another lump of coal sir :laughing: ?

In the end look after yourself, regardless of what hours you’ve worked the limits for hours laws are just that, limits not targets.
Unlike speed limits which in reality are targets +1 or 2 mph.

Anyway it’s your card, your life, your job, your licence, your choice.

Best of luck.
Oh and I won’t do 3 x 15s in a row, coz I don’t want to.

I tried not to do them, but they always put me on Longer distance run. If I took my break on the bay when I was tipping, and was also careful on my routine I could do it in 12 hours. But I’m not prepared to do that because it is tiring enough as it is, and I can’t get out of it. So I’m making sure that these runs are at least 13 1/4 hours