Recording from video player onto computer

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what equipment I need to record from a video player onto my computer, then burn said footage onto a DVD.

I have one of these cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-AUDIO-VIDEO-A … 230ad5a35d already that we use to get camcorder tapes onto the computer. The video player has a scart out socket so do I just need to get an adaptor with the 3 coloured sockets on, and run cables between that and the usb adaptor plugged into the computer?

Then burn the footage onto a DVD in the normal way? Is there anyway of compacting the files so I can get it all on one maybe two discs?

I’ve got one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PINNACLE-DAZZLE-DVD-RECORD-VIDEO-CAPTURE-USB-AV-/220683578006?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item3361c42a96
Plugs into the RCA out sockets on your VCR.If you don’t have RCA sockets, you can also get a scart to RCA connector. It works well with vista and XP but haven’t tried it with 7 although i’m sure you can get a windows update for it!
For compressing files onto one DVD, you can use Nero recode to reduce the file size.

Thanks for that. I’ve had a brainwave (probably won’t work though) but would the connector from a Nintendo Wii work? It connects the red/white/yellow cables to the scart socket on the tv so surely it could connect from the scart out on the video and run cables to the usb adaptor I’ve already got?

Your right it won’t work.

The other end of the cable is shaped specifically to only fit a Wii. :wink:
and is not a USB cable. At least not on mine.

Colingl:
Your right it won’t work.

The other end of the cable is shaped specifically to only fit a Wii. :wink:
and is not a USB cable. At least not on mine.

Ahh I meant just the grey connector that goes into the scart socket.

To conclude my thoughts, no it doesn’t work either :laughing: after spending so long untangling all the cables as well. Maybe it’s because the scart adaptor only has certain pins rather than the whole lot like a scart cable does. I shall continue my quest to connect the video to the computer :exclamation:

truckerjon:
I’ve got one of these.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PINNACLE-DAZZLE-DVD-RECORD-VIDEO-CAPTURE-USB-AV-/220683578006?pt=UK_Computing_Computer_Components_Graphics_Video_TV_Cards_TW&hash=item3361c42a96
Plugs into the RCA out sockets on your VCR.If you don’t have RCA sockets, you can also get a scart to RCA connector. It works well with vista and XP but haven’t tried it with 7 although i’m sure you can get a windows update for it!
For compressing files onto one DVD, you can use Nero recode to reduce the file size.

It does work with Windows 7. if your software is not up to date, you can download 7 drivers etc from the pinnacle site

If you can still find one, the Canopus ADVC 100 is the best bit of kit for the job. It is physically bigger than the newer versions but is still rated as one of the best. The newer ones are the 110 and the 300, neither of which will give results as good as the 100.

I only discovered the 100 as it was being replaced; it took a lot of searching and paying over the odds to get one but I won’t let it go now!!! :wink:

Link to the item.

A review.