Recommended training company?

Hi , am about to take voluntary redundancy from my current job . Am going to take my Class 2 test (Not sure, but I think Royal Mail will pay for it as retraining) .If I take it and pass ,will pay for Class 1 as well .

Have you any recommendations as far as training courses? Someone told me about Sterling ,and yet I have read on here that they dont have a good rep?
I know of 1st Class Training and Clearstones . 1st class is a LOT cheaper .

Also ,is it easy to get a driving job without any experience? I have only ever driven 7.5 tonner and that was a few years ago.

BTW I am based in NW London.

Sterling seem to use minimum spec vehicles to teach you - which some would argue leave you poorly prepared for HGV driving, I would agree with that - but I can’t comment on the quality of their teaching.

Clearstone are basically an advertising / sales agency so go with them and you will pay well over the odds to train at a local school that would have given you the same training direct at half the price.

You will probably get some recommendations by others (I am not local so couldn’t comment) but if not the best thing to do is head down to your nearest test centre and see who is there and who gets a decent amount of passes… … …

G

Hi mate give road train a call they are based in south mimms services they are all dsa registered as is the school high pass rate passed myself with them last year 1st time.

let us no how u get on

Mark was my instruter top bloke really helps u outt

Cheers guys .Do Road Train have a website? Or do you have their contact details?

i [assed with sterling and wouldnt recomend them to anyone if i hadnt already had the experiance of different gearboxs etc being a fitter i would have had no idea when i tried to do it for real avoid them like the plague

I know its a bit early ,seeing as I havent got even a Class 2 licence yet. But what can I expect to earn as a Class 1 driver ? I’m not expecting to earn a fortune .I only want to work Mon-Fri …NO WEEKEND WORK .What I do Mon-Fri is of no importance i.e Nights /Early Mornings/Afternoons etc .Wouldnt even mind being away from home Mon-Fri . I do need to earn £300 take home as a minimum .Easily achievable? From seeing some pay rates on here that would take a lot of hours :unamused:

I think you would achieve £300 take home without too much trouble, especially as you live in the london area. I have taken both class 2 and class 1 with sterling and I passed class 2 first time, and passed class1 second time round !. The instructors I had were excellent, top class but what you say about the trucks they use is true, they are just above minimum spec, however I was told that they are getting new trucks in the next 4 - 5 weeks. They are having Mercedes Ategos with box bodies on them, also with proper truck gears , I think the rigid will have 8 gears and the artic will have 12 . I would recomend them to anybody, especially when they get the new trucks . Clearstone is just an agency, they don’t have any trucks so if you book through them you may end up training with somebody like sterling anyway, but paying well over the odds for it. hope I have helped

yer go to www.roadtrain.co.uk

they have all the details on there[[/url]