Recently passed Cat C and C+E (hertfordshire area)

Always fancied learning to drive HGV’s and also to have the option to drive for a living to.

I am currently out of work and would be quite keen to do some driving. But as you can prodict everywhere wants the magical experience (predictably makes me ask, how do you ever get experience if no one will give it to you).

I live in Hertfordshire, does anyone either know any good agencys in this area that will give some work to newbie drivers or any companys to try for permanent positions.

Or even does anyone know how i can get my foot in the door to one of the large supermarkets. as they have some major distribution centers fairly locally.

Just to add, i am 26 (27 in april)

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

Sam

Hi Sam,

Welcome onto the forum mate.

I’m afraid jobs are a bit thin on the ground at the moment, so a lot of transport managers can turn you away if you don’t have the experience, but I have found personally that if you happen to be in the right place at the right time then you will get that chance. It has happened for me. Although I have held a cat C licence since 2004, I only recently upgraded to C+E on January 17th yet today I started my first C+E job! I just kept applying everywhere for everything and knew that eventually one of them would give me a chance and it worked. There have been others on the forum who have had the same positive outcome by not giving up, so my advice is to keep on trying. Your best bet is to copy your cv & licence then actually take it in person to all the companies you can find in your area (and I bet there are more than you think!) Try and get to see the transport managers for 5 mins and explain how keen you are.

Anyway, good luck with it and keep us all posted. Cheers! :sunglasses:

Sam,try ADR network.co.uk
They are based in St Albans and they used to give newly passed drivers a start at NFT/Sainsburys in London Colney,well they did when I was there a few years back.
Good luck.

Thanks guys.

James Bateman2:
Sam,try ADR network.co.uk
They are based in St Albans and they used to give newly passed drivers a start at NFT/Sainsburys in London Colney,well they did when I was there a few years back.
Good luck.

Thanks James, thats really helpful. They do have a client that is willing to put newish qualified drivers into class 1’s but they would want something like 6 months experience in a class 2 first. So need to get onto that.
Unfortunately it would be a little bit of a comute to get their unlike london colney would have been but unfortunately NFT now want 18 months plus experience i think.

NFT now want 18 months plus experience i think.

I would check that out as I have had new starters in NFT locally. All the best, Pete :laughing: :laughing:

Hey mate, theres 2 Hgv adgencys watford town centre.

Hi Mate
Try Manpower in St Albans 01727 854393. I don’t know if there still the preferred supplier for Royal mail, but when i first passed my HGV many moons ago, they gave me an immidiate start at there depots in the Heartfordshere area.

Good luck :smiley: