Recently passed c+e looking for work

Hi all I have just joined and looking for some help. I have recently passed my c+e 6 weeks ago and I’ve been looking to get a foot in the door since. Does anyone know of good companies that take on new drivers in middlesbrough area. Iam registering with an agency tomorrow but I’d rather get in a company who would give me good training etc. I have my adr aswell so I would like to do the chemical side if I could get in somewhere. Is agency work any good or do they give you the keys and you crack on with it? Replies would be appreciated just need some help thanks.

Agency u will just get the keys and crack on you want to get in your car and go visit all the yards in your area with all your stuff in the boot ready to go applying and ringing I found was a waste of time go in Pearson works a lot better good look

Thanks for the reply… I was thinking that’s what might happen last thing I want is to turn up get the keys and go! Hasn’t anyone worked for ward bros and know what there like to work for? I’ve been in to see a few but got nothing yet because of limited vehicles.

I worked agency for a year before I got full time work. I find it beneficial and helpful. I signed with about four or five agencies at once so I could pick and choose my work. I then got to try lots of different types of work. You also get your face about! I started full time with c+e work after 6 months of passing. … It is hard as they usually want two years experience. If you go to companies direct and speak to them you’d have better chance of finding full time work in the artics.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Try ward brothers? They take on newbies in Hull, can’t see why they wouldn’t up north

Iam going to call in on Monday… I know a bloke who works there and he’s told me to go and have a chat with them. I’ve registered with two agencies but to me being a new driver with no experience it’s better to get in with a company who will show you everything. I’d need a few days to learn the basics curtain siders tying loads down etc. How do the agencies do it do you just turn up who you will be working for and off you go? Thanks for the replies guys

I dunno what the agencies are like around your area but I signed up to lots and got no work at all. I found the old fashioned knocking on the doors of transport offices or haulage companies with your CV the best bet. I now work at Tesco delivering to stores. I had no experience. Try that method

If you get a start somewhere with an agency, you have two options;

1. Try and wing it. This method will expose any weak areas in your experience, which as a new driver are plentiful. This will become evident very quickly and you will look like a knob.

2. Explain to the TM at the place you go to that you are brand new and ask if there is an experienced driver available to just help you with a couple of things, as driving trucks is something you take seriously and want to make sure you do the best work possible FOR HIM/HER.

Normally TM’s like to have their ego massaged, so if you make out that you really want to ’ WORK WELL FOR HIM/HER ', you may well endear yourself to them.

(Note of caution; If lube or lovebeads get mentioned, get in your car and remove yourself from site immediately).

Option 1 is more entertaining, but it’s good advice…

Were they your love beads or his? :open_mouth:

I’ve told the agencies I’ve got no experience and just passed my test so they know and also said companies would know as well. Nothing worse than turning up pretending you know how to do something when you don’t. I’d rather ask for help than get stuck in a rut and make a mess of it! It goes along way I’d say to ask if your not sure and tell them I want to learn. I’d even do a week for nothing just to shadow a driver and learn

Commendable enthusiasm Mikey, however DO NOT work for free. With the glut of EE drivers arriving daily and the potential for a load of Turkish drivers coming soon, wages are being supressed as it is.

As for those beads Beezle, they are not mine. I shoved mine up too far a while back and haven’t seen them since.

eagerbeaver:
As for those beads Beezle, they are not mine. I shoved mine up too far a while back and haven’t seen them since.

With a bit of luck they’ll be blocking your vocal chords soon! :wink:

Agreed that working or offering to work for free is frowned upon. However I have said before that it’s acceptable for a zero experience Newbie who’s exhausted all other avenues, and I stick by that. Everyone else should be branded a scab and shot! :open_mouth: